Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,743,780 times

Advertisements

Have a GE DVLR223EG1WW dryer that is making a squeaking sound when running. I'm trying to fix the problem myself.

Went online and it seems it could be anyone of 3 things causing the problem:

1. Drive Belt
2. Blower Wheel
3. Drum Bearing

or a 4th (Ground Pad) per this service bulletin posted 3 yrs ago..

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/inde....0;attach=6903

is there any gurus on here who can advise how to narrow down what it might be rather than going from 1 through 4?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 03:40 PM

17,642 posts, read 15,340,381 times
Take it apart, rotate the drum by hand and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from. It's the best method I know of to find it, and it's not great, because often these squeaks only happen at higher speeds than you can get by turning by hand. You could get lucky.. Pop the top and run it with the top opened.. Just.. Don't stick your head too close if you've got long hair.

There's actually another possibility that isn't listed there that is a possibility. The idler pulley, which also could be called the belt tensioner. The roller on it can often cause a squeaking noise.. But, the most common thing I see with squeaking on a dryer is the bearings. It starts with a squeak, then turns to a squeal, then becomes a grinding if you let it go.

If it were me.. I'd replace the bearing, the belt, the idler arm, and any rollers. It'll cost you about $100 if you're doing it yourself for the parts, but.. It'll save you from tearing it apart 6 months down the road to replace something you didn't replace the first time.

And.. A special note.. Air compressors are damn handy when working on a dryer.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:46 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,050,196 times
If it's the pulley it will get louder and louder as time goes on. To the point you won't even turn on the dryer.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:42 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,030,023 times
Drum bearing most likely. I replaced one a couple times in my old dryer. They go bad again fairly quickly if the dryer is old. If your dryer is close to, or over 10 years old, you might want to consider replacing it.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:13 PM

17,642 posts, read 15,340,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
If it's the pulley it will get louder and louder as time goes on. To the point you won't even turn on the dryer.
My experience has generally been that it'll get louder and then real quiet.. Because the pulley breaks and the drum stops turning altogether.

The good thing about dryers is that, in all honesty.. They're cake to work on.

Thermal fuses, timers, broken door switches and poorly installed pigtails are the most common reasons for a 'dead' dryer.

Elements and thermostats the most common reasons for no heat

Bearings and rollers for squeaking.

Belts for drum not turning.

I've never actually seen a burnt out motor on a dryer.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

And.. A special note.. Air compressors are damn handy when working on a dryer.
I would say gloves are very important also.

Those metal edges are razor sharp when taking apart a dryer.

I appreciate all the feedback. Was very helpful.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:30 PM

126 posts, read 256,694 times
I have a Samsung dryer and a Best Buy warranty. Took them 2 trips and a lot of parts replaced. They finally got it but now it has an annoying vibration sound the first few minutes it's on.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:24 PM

14,262 posts, read 14,791,207 times
Electric dryers are not that complex. Try Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts for troubleshooting aid and parts.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:03 PM

Update:

I replaced the front drum bearing and slides, along w/the duct felt seal.

No more squeaks! so far so good!

thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-24-2015, 05:02 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,105,740 times
It's always the front bearing that goes first. All the weight of the drum is carried by a few plastic pads and some felt, that's it. My Frigidaire dryer is 17-18 years old, and I now replace the belt, and the front bearing every two years, whether it needs it or not. While it's open the tensioner, and spring get a light coat of white grease.
I've noticed on newer dryers they now use two rubber wheels with a center bearing that the front of the drum rides on which results in less drag, and more energy efficiency. Good to hear the problem has been solved CouponJack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House