Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM

392 posts, read 1,375,136 times

Advertisements

Looking at houses and deciding on if we want a pool or not. Obviously we would love to have a pool, but do we want the maintenance, problems, and expense that go with it?

So, realistically, what are some guestimated costs with owning a pool? Insurance, upkeep etc. Also, what kind of maintenance is involved and how much time?

Not sure if it makes a difference between inground and above ground, and not sure which we would end up with.

TIA,

Stavs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:51 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Depending on the type of pool system you get, costs differ. We have a chlorine based in ground pool marcite finish pool. So we check that the chorine levels are correct every month or so, then just add the tablets to the floating thing and then dump a few jugs of chlorine into the pool (not sure how much this costs, hubby takes care of this). We have a creepy crawly thing in the pool which can cost anywhere from $300 and up. Ours has lasted quit awhile as we have learned how to fix it ourselves and so we just order the parts online instead of getting a new one every couple of years. The creepy crawly thing is great at getting all the lose debre in the pool, we run it as little as possible to keep the cost down on the electricity bill. We also take the pool net and get the leaves floating on the top out, depending on the trees this could be every day or once a week. Right now our pool finish has to be replaced with DIAMOND BRITE $2,000 - $3,000. They say depending on the finish, upkeep, water chemicals, etc it can last from 10 years to 15 years. Marcite 7- 10 years. So expect to have the pool refinished at some point. In my area, if you don't have a certain type of fence around the yard, you are required to have one of those pool fences put up around the pool, not sure what the costs are on that thing, they are so ugly too. This way people with out fences are keeping the pool protected from children wondering into your yard and falling in.

I have to say we don't use the pool all that much, we do like to look at it though. I think we used it less than 5 times last year. If we had the choice of wether to put a pool in or not. We wouldn't put a pool in, but a large spa instead.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:54 PM

392 posts, read 1,375,136 times
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback! How bout electricity costs for the pool?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
I wish I could remember what FPL told us. We had them come out and do that free test, to let customers know what things where costing them. I remember the guy saying it was the highest part of our bill, so thats why we only use it 6 hrs a day now which is probably still a lot. Someone probably knows what a typical pool pump costs per months.

I forgot to add to the original post, that we add water to the pool during certain months of the year when the pool is low.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 PM

68 posts, read 265,272 times
It depends on where you live. We're in the mid-Atlantic and have an inground pool that was there when we bought the house. Originally concrete bottom and fiberglass sides. We had a vinyl liner put in about 9 years ago and it may be time to replace or fill in. We get about 3 - 4 months a year of use. Three is more realistic. Chemicals and other supplies run about $300-$400 a season. We open and close it ouselves and that's about a half day of work each. A solar cover runs about $150 and lasts 5-7 years. A winter cover seems to last about 5 years max and costs $180 or so. The pool does not get a lot of sun and there are lots of trees on the property and in the neighbors yards (debris and shade).

We have had some great parties and some bad experiences (friend broke his neck after 'falling' in). After I cut the grass on a 95 degree humid day there's nothing better than jumping in the pool!

Unless i was rich I would not have another pool in this area. If I lived in Florida I couldn't imagine living without one.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Live in Florida and LOVE our pool. However, I must admit I don't get in it all that often but the kids do. I enjoy the ambience of it year round. Of course, we keep it open year round here in Florida.

We have pebbletec finish (which has a lifetime warranty), salt chlorinator and a navigator pool cleaner. We do VERY little maintenance. The navigator keeps the pool clean and we take water to the local pool store to be tested once every couple of weeks. Once in awhile we have to add salt or acid. DH said we spent about $80 in pool supplies last year. We do not have a screen around the people as many people in Florida do. We don't like the looks of the screen.

Electricity to run the pool is supposed to average $40-60 a month depending on how long you run the pump (you don't have to run it long in cool weather as in hot) and the cost of your electricity.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,009 times
If I had only known............I wouldn't have gotten that house with a pool.

I spent hours each day or week vacuuming, shocking, testing, adjusting ph up or down, etc. Seemed like it never ended! Not to mention the backwashing weekly.

And for what we actually used it....... it wasn't worth it...and that was with 3 children.

But there were memories that we'll always have.

I was the LONE care person of the pool. So if you have another adult- go for it!
It does cost money. Electricity, chemicals- never ends. Plus the more expensive property tax.
Ensure you have a fence so no children can get it- liability is great with pools.

Money wasn't the issue although it was several hundred a month, it was the labor. I had a baraccuda vacuum on 24/7 and 2 skimmers but still had to vacuum. My pool was in a wooded area, in NC. So your water may not need the attention mine did.

Have fun!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
Have an inground and if it was possible I would give it away! 20x40 with liner, no screen and runs me about 120.00 a month and I do everything to it. Skim everyday, add chemicals every week, run electric 6-8 hrs aday ect. First yr we loved it, 2nd yr it was okay, yrs 5-7 NO one has used it since the kids are grown. Never again. Oh and the pool guys around here charge 75./wk to work on it. Replaced liner 2400., new motor was 200., to replace the big steps well they said 3k and I bought a fiberglass tub kit and resurfaced them which they told me would not work, it did. Oh and it had a leak and had to have a scuba diver come out that was 40/hr! To much trouble.........

Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 PM

272 posts, read 1,003,129 times
Ok, How many of you go skinny-dipping in your pool? Just joking, I have a pool, and they are a lot of work, I set it up for the summer, and my wife takes care of it all summer, I found my power bill does not go up that much, and we run the pump all day and turn it off at night, they are nice in the summer when its 90.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
I loved having a pool when I didn't pay for it... once had a rental where the owner covered everything including electricity (separate meter) because he said tenants simply would not rent and take care of it. He claimed it was a real drag costing him at least $250 a month and this over ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House