Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM

432 posts, read 1,659,539 times

Advertisements

I have ask the contractor these question already,but it was on the phone and I didn't hear his answer(s) clearly and/or gave me a vague answer!

If anyone doesn't understand any of my questions,then please ask me to clarify it for you,but no bashing allow,since we all want a civilized response,thank you.

The contractor is confusing me with the option with the Infinity ICS Gas Modulating Furance,since he fail to mention to me what optional function(s) does the furance offer such as Infinity Home Access and zoning.

I e-mail him to list all possbile option(s) that the furance offer,so in the future if I wanted the optional function(s),then I can contact him to do the installation such as zoning.

1.I check the Carrier website and it stated that the furance can do zoning,but why did the contractor failed to mention about the zoning option in the first place?

2.Since when I asked him and he responded,we need to check the ductwork to install the zoning function. Then,why didn't he state that with the Infinity ICS Gas Modulating Furnace,it enables you to have zoning,but we need to check your ductwork to see if this function will work?

By the way,he is from a business that is an authorized Carrier dealer,but it seem he fail to mention me all of my possible options and that is,you know!

3.In addition,why does he think that I don't need a dehumidifier,is it because I have an air conditioner and/or I have an unfinished basement? I do have a portable dehumidier in the basement at this moment!

4.Is it a good thing to have a three stage furance for a home that is about 1,854 sq ft give or take,since the attic,the garage,and the basement don't have vent(s) for each of them to be heated?

5.Is the Infinity Air Purifier Model GAPA,worth getting since I have allergy to mold?

6.When would you get to get a fan-powered humidifer or a bypass humidifier?

7.I live in Minnesota,so should I get Energy Recovery Ventilator and a Heat Recovery Ventilator? If not,then why? I guess I save more with two different types of ventilators!

8.Normally,a contractor would quote a furance with labor included,but if the cost of labor was separate,then would it be about $200 USD per hour or something around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I would have him come out to the house as well as others. He really can't give you a quote over the tewlephone . Alos they are not likely to take you as a serious buyer over the telephone and spens alot of time that cost him time/money. You alos need to get your questions on waht you are considering with options because if ist a bid type thing most will go the lowest path because that is what peole buy often Do your research so you at leasst sound infrmed so as to egt answers you want .

Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 PM

54 posts, read 512,690 times
I would want the energy recovery furnace living in Minnisota.
Basically what that means is = when your furnace burns the natural gas , it has a vent pipe that lets the carbonmonoxide vent out the roof. These gases are very hot , so a dampener or capture of the heat UNIT is in place to put this heat back into your building instead of letting it go out into the atmosphere. (heat not chemical)

Like the last poster said ... I would have them come out and give an estimate ... over the phone is very hard.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM

The contractor already gave me a proposal via an e-mail attachment,but I need to get a signed proposal,but what's considered to be signed if it was all typed on the computer? Is something considered to be a signature,if it was typed up?

Proposal as in an estimate already,but I want to find out more information about the product(s) before I buy them...

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I can't tell you why he didn't tell you about all of the options and features in an e-mail or over the phone. I can tell you that a typed signature on an e-mailed contract is valid, especially if his e-mail says something to the effect of "here's my proposal, please sign (or type) your name in the spaces provided and return by e-mail.
We do some of our inspection contracts this way, and my atty. has indicated that is a valid contract.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I can't tell you why he didn't tell you about all of the options and features in an e-mail or over the phone. I can tell you that a typed signature on an e-mailed contract is valid, especially if his e-mail says something to the effect of "here's my proposal, please sign (or type) your name in the spaces provided and return by e-mail.
We do some of our inspection contracts this way, and my atty. has indicated that is a valid contract.
Barking Spider,if you can help me out with my questions,then please do since I have a feeling that you have a decent amount of knowledge regarding HVAC. In addition,if there is a way to edit some of my questions,so that the contractor can understand my questions better,then I am up for suggestion(s)!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 AM

He ofcourse needs to check existing duct work to make the zoneing function work ... its basically turning your house into separate zones for heat/cooling control , and this is done by the separation of duct work. Depending on how it is now , will change the price because of labor and materials of separating the duct work.

I wouldnt be sure why he thinks you dont need a dehumidifier , but you as the customer could certainly have one if you wanted that option. But maybe it is not nessacary in your part of the country.

I dont know enough about the 3 stage furnace to give you any advice. Except that Im sure they will size the Unit correctly.

I would get the purifier option in your case.

dehumidifier ????

I would get the energy recovery.

$200 an hour sounds pretty high to me. unless thats a blanket price for a crew not just 1 guy. either way you should be given an end price , not something like $200 an hour for as long as it takes.

It sounds like your going to be spending alot of money on this upgrade , but it will probably be worth it down the road , if your present system is fairly out of date.
But the other side of the coin is how well your house is sealed and insulated .... so if doors and windows leak , and the amount of insulation is sub par ... then plan on updateing those next.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM

Would you want to get the Heat Recovery,also? Get both?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 AM

sure , if your going for a complete update , might as well go all out.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 40,413 times
Have you gotten quotes from 3 different contractors? You need to find a contractor that listens to your concerns and you can trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
Would you want to get the Heat Recovery,also? Get both?
You should get an HRV or an ERV - not both. (The ERV also recovers heat) More details are found here: [url=http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/HVAC/energy-recovery-ventilators]Energy and Heat Recovery Ventilators (ERV/HRV)[/url]

Has your house had an energy audit with blower door (pressure testing) test done? Since you are asking about zoned heating, I am wondering if there are cold spots in the house you are trying to fix. You may be able to insulate more and spend less on the furnace... which would result in lower total energy costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House