Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 02:30 PM

226 posts, read 926,138 times

Advertisements

Well I thought I would document my home building experience. Some of this info might be helpful to those that are building homes.

I purchased a home from a national tract home builder 204K 3300sf all brick in TX Jan 2008.

After doing some research on home construction, I has horrified that I might purchase a lemon. Therefore I spent 1K during the contruction of the home to have it inspected.

1. I paid for an inspector to do a pre-pour inspection of the post tensioning slab system.

2. Had a lab test the concrete for PSI strength.

3. Paid for a structural engineer to inspect the framing.

No major issues were found and the concrete exceeded the foundation engineering specifications. However, I did spend a considerable amount of time getting other non-major structural issues fixed - squeky floors, replaced flooring etc. In fact at least 3 dozen issues that I had to constantly make sure were fixed.

During construction I was able to spend about 30 days in the home during critical construction periods.

1. Custom electrical work was done. Whole house surge protector, 220 amp breaker box, 4 way switches, flourescent garage lights, pre-wire for sprinkler system, 20 amp outlets in designated locations, under cabinet kitchen lighting, dimmer switches, attic light, closet lights, light fixtures, ceiling fans, structured media panel power, hvac zoning system power etc. I was able to pay the electrician to wire the house to my detailed specifications. I talked to the city and had no issues with what I was doing. The on site Supt looked the other way. However, his manager found out and told him to pull the electrical out and start over. On site Supt balked and let the construction continue.

2. Paid the framers to add a couple of windows to the home. These windows were not options available by the builder. Put a window in a bathroom that didn't have one. Added a small 1x4 window in a huge walk-in closet that is located right above my large dresser. Also paid the framers $150 to install hurricane ties to my roof rafters. It isn't a code requirement where I am at, however $200 for a lot stronger roof is worth the money. I also had them use strong tie connectors on some of the framing where they toe nail.

3. Bought real bathroom ventilation fans and used insulated ductwork to run the exhaust.

4. Insulated my garage. I was concerned that the room above the garage would be uncomfortable due to the heat coming from the garage. I added R-19 to the R-13 that was standard with the home for R32. I callled the insulation company and they told me that I could add another R-19 in the joist space. The company wouldn't do this work...against their policy with the builder. I had to pay the installers on the side to get a fully insulated garage. I provided the insulation materials.

5. Track builder didn't offer variable speed blower with HVAC. Paid $500 to the HVAC contractor for a variable speed blower. Company also re-designed the duct work for a zoning system. I installed the system after closing on the home. Cost me $600 for them to install the zoning system with fresh air intake. I paid for all the materials and zoning equipment $800 (Honeywell). In my opinon money well spent. The builder didn't offer zoning as an option or another heat pump for my two story home.

6. Talked to the alarm company installer who also ran the cable and telephone that I would provide the wire. That way they could save some money. I bought 500ft of bundled wire - 2 RG6, 2CAT5E, and two fiber optic strands. I ran it up stairs myself and they ran it downstairs. Best $600 I could have spent. Builder wanted $110 for each wire. It would have cost me over $5000 not to mention it wouldn't include the fiber optics. I had it all run to a central location where I mounted a structured panel box that also was powered. One mistake I made the box wasn't big enough to house my network switch, cable modem etc. You never can buy a structured media panel that is too big. Especially if you have as many wires as I have got.

7. Tile bathrooms....paid the tile guy $100 to install border wall tiles for two bathrooms.

8. Bought the brick mason rink shank nails for the brick ties. Also paid him $250 to make sure he put his best crew on the job. Not sure if he did or not provide the best masons, but I know they used my nails. I was there watching them.

9. Before sheetrock treated my foundation sill plates with natural pest killer borax. Pest companies will charge you $200 or more. It cost me $10 in materials. I also bought bearing plates for sill plate bolts - big metal washers. $20 and I personally torqued them down. Bearing plates are big metal washers and help distribute the load to the sill plates. The builder used washers that you couldn't even tell if they were there.

10. I pre-wired the home for surround sound with two zones. The zones are connected to my theater room that also can push sound to the master bath/master bedroom using a zoned reciever. Also pre-wired a CAT5E at the Master Bath and MB for remote control functionality. Made a mistake by no pre-wiring for sound the downstairs living room. I did this after closing and it was a real pain to do after the sheetrock was up. Had to pay someone to patch up all of my holes.

11. Paid the plumber to install a hand shower for my master bathtub.

12. To finish the structured media panel wiring. I talked to the cable company salesman and told him if they trimmed out my house I would sign up for their total package phone, cable, internet. It took the installer 12 hours to trim out my house. In addition he had another installer help him for 4 hours out of the 12.

The above work that was above and beyond the normal construction was a real pain to get done. I am probably very lucky to have a city inspector that would allow me to deviate from the plans and an onsite construction supt. that considered me as part of his inspection team. The supt didn't have to spend a whole lot of time on my house, because I was there pointing out the dozens of things that needed to be fixed. In turn he allowed me as in his words to "pimp" my home.

Although, things got done. There was a lesson for the electrical contractor. It took twice as long to wire my house and he fell behind in other jobs in the subdivision and had to pay penalties for being late. The electrical supt. vows never again to do custom work. However, the way the economy is that probably wouldn't be an issue today.

If you get an opportunity, make sure your electrical and HVAC are designed very well for livability versus saving money for the builder. I wouldn't own a 2 story home without a zoning system or 2 heat pumps. Also, the electrical layouts of many homes cut corners. When you have an open floor plan you want to be able to turn on and off lights as you enter and leave the room without having to go back to the other side of the room.

Other advice: Buy a few cans of expandble foam and make sure your home is airtight before the sheetrock is put up. Even though my home is certified energy star the builder still missed many areas that needed foaming.

Appliances....I negotiated for the floor models or returns at Lowes and HD. $2500 fridge cost me $1000, $1300 DW $500, $2000K range $1000, $600 microwave $250. Saved a ton of money and they come with the same warranty as the new boxed appliances. I also got rebates from the manufacturers.

One last final note. I opted to do the interior upgrades after I moved in ....flooring, whole house crown, sky light, slate patio, granite, chair rail, etc. I saved a ton by getting this done after I moved in. However, I have $50K in this house above what I paid for it. Not only does it cost tons of money, but you also have to have excellent skilled craftsman to do the work. Good master carpenters are hard to find.

In the end $250K for a decked out house with lots of custom features is a deal. I look at homes at 500K that look cheap inside compared to my $250K home. The moral of the story is that you can do alot with a tract home, but make sure the electrical and HVAC are up to par.

Last edited by joe123456; 05-29-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 02:32 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Its Tract not Track. Or just called production homes

Old 05-29-2009, 04:35 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Joe, you did a FANTASTIC job! Well done (and nicely described). Kudos to you.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
You done good Joe.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
You did indeed do good. Although it would be even better to find a contractor who simply understands you want a first-class job and are willing to pay the extra for it.

Besides Norm Abrams and the This Old House crew, though, good luck finding such a guy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House