Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:25 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times

Advertisements

I've done research on traffic sound buffering and nothing really works well in such a small space though shrubs and a fence will make the situation look better.

I'm with the poster who suggested getting in touch with the traffic engineers and other government officials.

You need to stay after them, remain civil, be friendly, learn everyone's name and attend the city or county council meetings. Involve your neighbors, if possible. Make it a long-term commitment. You'll be surprised at how much influence one person can have if they become active in their community.

Make sure that you maintain professional and civil behavior in all of your activities and you will be well-respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

You need to stay after them, remain civil, be friendly, learn everyone's name and attend the city or county council meetings. Involve your neighbors, if possible. Make it a long-term commitment. You'll be surprised at how much influence one person can have if they become active in their community.

Make sure that you maintain professional and civil behavior in all of your activities and you will be well-respected.
I endorse ellie's suggestion.
Back in Denver, a friend around the corner from me had a similar situation.
She and her neighbors did not give up. She went to countless city council meetings and entered into email circles. She was always courteous, but never backed off. Finally after about 10 months, the neighborhood group prevailed and a stop sign was installed.
Good luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:19 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,857 times
Call your local police and ask them to provide some extra attention to you new little racetrack. Im sure they would help you out.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:42 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
We will talk to the Police and see what else we can do. It is just amazing to me that all the people living on this street aren't up in arms... guess we will be the newcomers that want to "change" things, but for the better, LOL....

Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
OMG do i feel for you!!! I too had a similar situation back in Calif. We also at first did not think it was going to be a problem but as time went on it got worse. Ours was used to cut through a main road that they should have been on because of all the stop lights they could avoid. Plus our home was on a corner, and this busy street only had 1 stop sign for a two mile journey.It was insane because there was an elementry school right up the street and the school parents were the worst! They desperalty needed speed bumps and i complained and complained and complained. Nada, zip, ziltch. They said the local police dept. is understaffed so they could not even put an officer on a motercycle to use the radar gun. They were always *aware* of the problem but could not do anything about it!!! After 5 years i got the heck out of there. I would take everyones advise here and complain, complain complian!!! Hopefully the local police will listen!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM

346 posts, read 1,779,519 times
Katzenfreund? Ich auch.

Keep an actual diary of the traffic density. Are the trucks local? Is your road a short cut of some sort? Can you get a traffic meter installed - loooks like a piece of waterhose - and a speed display? Have you talked to your city counsel? If so - record these conversations as they will start flowing into each other as your project grows. Why wait for warmer weather to talk to neighbors?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Twostep,
our road is a "shortcut" to the major route through town, but no lights or stop signs here.... There is a high school on the major road and from what I have gathered people zoom down this road to avoid the town and then cut over to the major road again. We will talk to the police this week and from there I'll start talking to neighbors. I just feel funny since we just moved here, but I am amazed that people that have lived here aren't up in arms. There are some signs along the road "Please drive slowly, we love our children", well, no one pays attention to these signs.

MVN2NC, your situation sounds exactly like mine. I am just so mad at myself for being naive and thinking the traffic would be "bearable". If i ever buy another house, I will spend a whole day sitting in my car in that road and watching the traffic. My husband doesn't like it, but isn't nearly as bothered by it as I am, so he doesn't understand. I wish there were an "off" button and it wouldn't bother me, but I can't help it. It's really a shame, as this is such a lovely little house and we love it - other than the noise. But we will try and see what we can do to change it, I guess moving will be a last resort.
Wishing everyone a peaceful, quiet day!!!! ;-)

Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Before you purchase any property, visit the area during rush hour and Friday and Saturday nights. Since this is now a buyer's market, you probably can do this over two or more weeks. Then, if you have any concerns or questions, put them in writing to your realtor and the current owners of the property. This is important. Any concerns in writing must be addressed honestly.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Katzenfreund, complain, beg, research, do everything you can. Our city has spec you have to meet and then they will install speed bumps and/or stop signs. Sounds like you will meet that criteria if your city has such. Until then, please know that you will become some what used to the noise soon. I purchased a home in a direct flight path for a large airport. WHEW! Soon enough I didn't even notice the noise unless I was on the phone outside. On 9/11 it was weird because there was NO noise. Enjoy your new home, make this a positive way to meet new neighbors and spend all your time in the back yard

PS a box fan will be GREAT at night in the bedroom.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM

SXM - I know, it is my own fault. I saw the little street, the 25 miles speed limit and the realtor claimed it would be quiet. The two times we did come by and sit outside in our vehicle to check for traffic were at the wrong times, 10 in the morning and once in the evening, around 9 or so. But we lived in another state and didn't get to spend that much time here. Next time I will know better. I just hate the thought of having to move again so soon, will see how things develop.
I''ll do some research to see what the laws here are etc. some speed bumps would help, but I haven't seen any around here, at all.
Jkmewright, I am hoping I will get used to it a bit and it won't drive me up the wall, like it is doing now. We moved here from the Washington DC metro area, so it wasn't like I had a quiet country home there, but it was far quieter as far as traffic was concerned because we lived in a townhouse at the end far away from the road, NO cars drove by our house! Didn't think I'd ever wish I'd be living there, LOL!
Thanks so much for all your input, you all are GREAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House