Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,377 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a chest freezer as shown as below.
in your opinion, should
I get a 5 cubit foot, 7 or 9 or more? we'll be putting it in our
garage. this one shown below is a 9..(we have 3 family members only, but
have guests 2 of them 3 times the year..)

also, what brand is the best per your experience?
thanks in advanced.

RC Willey - Frigidaire 9 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
We have a 9 cft chest freezer that we have had for 7 years now. Its a Magic Chef and we have had no problem with it. I think we bought it at Home Depot. There are just 2 of us ( with our kids coming to visit occationally) but I buy our meats in bulk & then freeze them. The one we have holds a lot!

Hope this helps

Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM

128 posts, read 638,675 times
#1 rule of chest freezers. Whatever you're looking for will be on the bottom. The bigger the freezer, the longer the search. Every search will relocate all the food.

#2 You'll forget what you have. It's inevitable. Keep a list.

We raised pigs, lambs, and turkeys for slaughter and had two freezers. We ended up giving our chest freezer to a food kitchen. I hated it. I kept the upright.

We don't do the animals anymore and I no longer have a separate freezer. If I did, it would be an upright. See rules #1 &#2.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I agree, forget the chest freezer and get an upright. They are too hard to organize, unless you are 7' tall you won't be able to get anything from the bottom and you end up wasting food because it gets freezer burn from sitting in the bottom of the freezer for years.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbet View Post
#1 rule of chest freezers. Whatever you're looking for will be on the bottom.

#2 You'll forget what you have. It's inevitable. Keep a list.

We raised pigs, lambs, and turkeys for slaughter and had two freezers. We ended up giving our chest freezer to a food kitchen. I hated it. I kept the upright.

We don't do the animals any more and I don't have a separate freezer anymore.If I did, it would be an upright.
LOL - very true about things settling to the bottom I have cardboard separators that I use to keep things organized. Meats in one area, veggies in another and the basket that comes with it holds the "whatevers". I defrost & clean it once a year when I make up my meat list so nothing is ever wasted. I like the chest freezer better than an upright since it freezes faster and uses less energy to keep everything frozen. In a power outage (like Hurricane Ike here in Houston last year) my stuff stayed completely frozen for 3 days with no power. I was happy and impressed!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,377 times
thanks for everyone's input. but what about the capacity of the chest freezer? is 5 or 7 cu ft. enough for 3? what size do I get for a upright freezer? thanks.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I got to hate chest freezer when we had one. Upright are so much more conventient IMO;plus they don't take up so much space.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
thanks for everyone's input. but what about the capacity of the chest freezer? is 5 or 7 cu ft. enough for 3? what size do I get for a upright freezer? thanks.
Is it enough for 3?
Or, maybe you should ask yourself this question- How much do I want to freeze at any one given time?
My grandparents had a 20 something c/f chest freezer and it was always full- they were organic gardeners, and would buy half a cow at atime.

I'm also in agreement with everyone else- chest freezers sux when hunting for dinner- an upright is much better- and a smaller footprint.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,519 times
Upright is definitely better than chest, especially for smaller people. The size depends on your cooking habits. I had an upright for 20 years and recently replaced it with a small freezer box because I buy all fresh meat and vegetables. The box is big enough to freeze some leftovers.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I don't think anyone can really tell you what size freezer you should buy as it depends on your buying and cooking habits. I would think that with only three people in your household along with occasional visitors you don't need anything huge and I'm totally with the recommendation of an upright over a chest model.

My chest freezers are a real pain and I'm forever "finding" items in them I forgot were buried - plus the defrosting routine is a chore. I have a Frigidaire frost-free upright freezer which is a whole different ballgame. I can see and locate everything in there easily and it takes up much less space than the chest freezers. It's a no-contest and once the chest freezers conk out I'll be replacing them with uprights. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House