Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:19 AM

13 posts, read 256,976 times

Advertisements

We had a visitor whose vehicle left grease/oil spots on our concrete driveway. I tried removing the spots with a degreaser, but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
Try laundry detergent....hope that helps

Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
A spray can of Automotive Carburetor Cleaner always does the trick for me on small spots.

Spray it on, watch it dissolve and blot it with a rag.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
I'm not a salesman, so this is true... I washed my car with Amway SA8 detergent. When finished, I was going to toss the bucket-full of suds, but dumped on a big grease spot that had been on my concrete for a year. It dissolved as I watched.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I'm not a salesman, so this is true... I washed my car with Amway SA8 detergent. When finished, I was going to toss the bucket-full of suds, but dumped on a big grease spot that had been on my concrete for a year. It dissolved as I watched.
I was given a box of Amway Driveway Cleaner a long time ago... and it worked well and with a little scrubbing the stain disappeared.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Try laundry detergent....hope that helps
I've used laundry detergent and it works great for me.

I don't scrub it. I put the detergent straight on the oil spot and let it sit there; the rain eventually washes it off. I'm getting too old to work hard at something like a grease stain.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 53,537 times
Default driveway cleaners

I have had the same problem with my drive and patio. Theres a great company in London called Hydro-Drive who will clean it for you. If you consider the time and effort put into doing it yourself, then these guys are well worth it. They can clean everything from driveways to swimming pools. And theyre friendly and have reasonable prices.

Their website is [URL="http://www.hydro-drive.co.uk"]www.hydro-drive.co.uk[/URL]

You can call them on

0208 411 0101 or 07902 232 669

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Dawn dish soap. it's what the environmentalists use to clean oil cover fowl. I just put a little water on it, then rub in the Dawn. As one person mentioned, Carb cleaner works well too, if the oil spot is fresh. Not everyone has carb cleaner, everyone has Dawn. It may not be perfect when finished, but the sun will bleach out what ever is left.
I don't allow anyone to park in my driveway if the have any sort of leak, that works, too......

Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
S-100 motorcycle cleaner from Germany. But it's probably only worth having this stuff if you also have a motorcycle - they make a car wash concentrate as well.

You can buy specific driveway cleaners from most auto parts stores as well.

Waterless hand cleaner works great on grease stains on fabric, have not tried it on concrete but probably will work there as well.

But try the Dawn first - probably will do well enough.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Forget all those cleaners that claim to work, non do.......and they cost money. Go get yourself a long wire brush with a stiff bristle and a handle on it. Driveways are normally finished with a broom while the cement surface is still a tad wet. This leaves a brushed look. Now use the wire brush in the same direction as these brush marks. When you brush off all the oil stains you will have nothing left but a little pile of dried oil debris. Just blow it away or hose it away. Do not broom it away or it will smear.

If you wire brushed with the grain (the direction of the broom marks) it will disapear 100%. Sometimes if your driveway is older, the brushed area will appear very clean which stands out like a sore thumb. Dont worry, after driving over it a few times it will be the same color as the surrounding are in just days.

I promise you that nothing on earth works better....!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House