Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

I'll post a pic of the rake I made if anyone is interested.

I want to see it! I'll probably never have need for one but I'm interested!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Sears has them.....http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5x000001&aff=Y

Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I'll take a look tomorrow and see if its still bad. I noticed it this morning that it was piled up by the rain gutters. I wonder if they had to shovel snow off the roof where I work. Oh yeah, they left our two snow shovels by the entrance and somebody stole them so they probably couldn't.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:39 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Does anyone know if some roofs fare better with the snow than others? I do not have a shingle roof but have a metal roof (historic home). Thanks!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think many people might be better off having their homeowners insurance pay for a new roof than falling off a second or third story roof and break their necks.
Probably no Ins co will cover that very easy, since there is labor forces who do this for hire. And would you sleep in a house where the roof just might cave in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maryland snow mania! People who live in areas of the country that normally get snow don't rake snow off their roofs. But you have fun with that.
Wanna bet?

The going rate for roof shovelers in NH is 50 bucks an hour, and if your roof falls in because it needed to be shoveled and wasn't well the, ins co doesn't seem to care much.

There are methods to shovel off a roof too, and if you do it wrong, there is a very good chance to slide right off the edge and fall.

Raking isn't great if the whole roof can't be cleaned off.

The pine shed

raked and WRONG as you can see, since raking doesn't get the weight off.
note the sun

Later that day, and 2 men nearly dead, which is why it costs 50 bucks an hour.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 02-11-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Does anyone know if some roofs fare better with the snow than others? I do not have a shingle roof but have a metal roof (historic home). Thanks!
Metal roofs are the best for snow and everything! My last house had a metal roof and I sure wish I had one on this house. The roof here was new (shingles) and I can't afford to replace it with a metal one just yet.
When I lived in New England I saw that metal roofs were far more popular than in the midwest where I was raised. However, there are many more metal roofs in Minnesota now than there was 20 yrs ago when I moved here. Of course, historical homes are in a class of there own; meaning metal roofs were popular everywhere a century ago. Hmmm.......I guess people were smarter then.
Also, someone mentioned the steep pitch of their roof. I agree, the pitch has a lot to do with whether you have to rake or not. We don't have to with this house, didn't have to with the metal roof house either, but certainly had our share of roof raking in the past.

Fun times - but I'd still rather live in Minnesota than anywhere!!

Last edited by whatnow; 02-12-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 02:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Just reported here in DC, a chunk of snow fell off a building a crushed a car. Fortunately the car was empty. This much snow isn't something to mess around with.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
OK, background, so you don't think I've never seen snow: I grew up in Vermont in the middle of the snow belt there. Redesigned a roofing truss system for a friend who had his roof cave in. Sometimes had to shovel snow off roofs - not often, because most roofs up there are designed for snow load. Shoveled more of the &$*% stuff on the ground than I care to remember.

On a different forum, someone mentioned a tool I had never seen. Imagine a huge cheese slicer with a l-o-n-g handle, and a slip-n-slide attached to the wire cutter. Way cool. THere is a video of it in action on the website:
Avalanche Snow - Snow Removal Equipment, Snow Roof Rake for better Roof Maintenance

BTW, roofs are the only reason electric snowblowers should be allowed to exist. Tie yourself off to a strongly secured safety line, use a snowmobiler's helmet and mittens and have at.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Probably no Ins co will cover that very easy, since there is labor forces who do this for hire.
There is no such labor force available in my area. Seriously, we do not rake roofs in Pittsburgh. Just doesn't happen.

Quote:
And would you sleep in a house where the roof just might cave in?
My roof had more snow on it than the roof in your pictures. It has survived 100 years of heavy snows without collapsing. I slept very soundly.

Quote:
The going rate for roof shovelers in NH is 50 bucks an hour, and if your roof falls in because it needed to be shoveled and wasn't well the, ins co doesn't seem to care much.
You clearly missed my later explanation of where I live. It makes sense that you would be raking snow off of a roof in places like NH and ND since you get constant slowfall up there. If you didn't rake your roofs, you would have much more additional snow on your roof than the 2-1/2 feet of snow we got on our roofs in Pittsburgh. Our snow is sporadic and generally melts between snow storms. (The OP lives in an area that gets less snow than we do so I see no reason to rake the roof there.)

Our roofs are also much steeper than the roof in your picture. That perplexes me because I can't understand why a roof would have such a low pitch in NH. Perhaps it's because you need a low pitch so you can stand on your roofs to rake snow. Regardless, there is simply NO WAY anyone would survive on top of my roof----it's 3 stories high and has a very steep pitch.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Hopes, I was just havin some fun. And yeah that barn is a flatlanders idea, and he was from the mid west. With ease there can be and often is 3 times that much snow.

If that barn was mine I'ld burn it down and start over. The whole thing to me is useless. I got cabin fever and pms BAD, so really I was havin fun.

pms is parked motorcycle syndrome. The next excitment around here will be boilin' maple sap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House