Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 14,793 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Looking for an alternative to metal window wells. Does anyone know if 'landscape-style' retaining walls can be used for Egress window wells? I probably have to do about 2 feet in height, so likely 2-3 steps maximum, using landscape retaining walls... any suggestions on good products, or any of the landscaping retaining wall products will do?

Regards, Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:13 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,750 times
I've used concrete forms, shape it up and make it any size and shape you want. Minimum of 4" think in zone 7, I normally go thicker.
Use rebar or concrete fence for strength.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
I know a lot of people that have used the retaining wall stones for egress windows. They are lovely. We put in egress windows in our old house and used treated lumber. That looks fine as well. You could also do poured concrete but I don't like the way that looks from the inside.

The advantage of the retaining wall stones is you can build in a 'ladder' if necessary. CHeck with your city codes on this though. They are pretty picky about how big the well needs to be, etc. When we were putting our's in we were trying to decide what kind would be the easiest for the kids to open and the guy at the window place said "it isn't about how easy it is for your kids to open, it is about how easy it is for a fireman to get in" so make sure your well is big enough for a fully outfitted fireman to get into the window easily.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:53 PM

177 posts, read 898,929 times
look at mar-flex

Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,178 times
I would definitely use the retaining wall blocks. They look very nice from the inside while be giving you something that will look good and last forever. I do like the idea about putting in some type of a ladder (post from golfgal) but I don't think it's about being able to get firemen in, I think it's about being able to get out in case of a fire. My $.02.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_J View Post
I would definitely use the retaining wall blocks. They look very nice from the inside while be giving you something that will look good and last forever. I do like the idea about putting in some type of a ladder (post from golfgal) but I don't think it's about being able to get firemen in, I think it's about being able to get out in case of a fire. My $.02.
That is what we thought too-but our city codes told us otherwise. The size of the window has to be large enough for a fully dressed fireman to get through the opening and they can't be too far off the ground either so the rescue personel can get into the room without jumping.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:48 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is what we thought too-but our city codes told us otherwise. The size of the window has to be large enough for a fully dressed fireman to get through the opening and they can't be too far off the ground either so the rescue personel can get into the room without jumping.
Well according to Merriam Webster dictionary; egress: 1 : the action or right of going or coming out
2 : a place or means of going out

But what do we know, lol. I guess with the city code maybe the window must meet both types of criteria. I just hate to admit that I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House