Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,212 times

Advertisements

I need to let my builder know about all my upgrade selections by Wednesday of this week and I every time I make a decision on one, there's another one that I have to consider!

Do jets in the master bath soaking tub add value or not? I personally probably wouldn't use them too much but I think it's only about $900 or so so I was thinking it might be worth it for resale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,066 times
From a resale stand point it would be wasted money. It would be an added feature when you go to resell but you definitely would not recoup the money spent on it.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_J View Post
From a resale stand point it would be wasted money. It would be an added feature when you go to resell but you definitely would not recoup the money spent on it.
But if $900 breaks or makes a deal when it is time to sell........... It may be well worth it. To have to go in and replace a tub w/ no jets for one that has them years later is going to cost a lot more than $900. I'd go for it. You may use it every now and then. We have a large jetted Jacuzzi tub in our bathroom and I've only used it about 4 times in the 5 years we have lived here personally and dh probably about the same.

There are certain upgrades that the intial cost to have done during construction are well worth it even if it is one you may not use or much at all. This is one of them.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Don't waste the money. You've said yourself that you'll rarely use them, so I'll tell you what will happen:

You'll use the jets regularly while the house is still new, as they're a novelty. Over the first year, you'll use them less and less, until finally you won't even bother. Then, one night, you and your wife/hubby/girlfriend/whatever, will decide that you're in a romantic mood, and fill the tub. You'll light the candles, dim the lights, and hit the button to fire up the jets. you'll then be greeted by a cloud of black mold/mildew spilling from the jets from the stagnant water that's been sitting in the piping since the last time you used the jets. Kinda kills the mood, no? lol

Or, if the above scenario doesn't play out, it will play out at the point of resale when the home inspector fires up the jets and sees that nice black cloud in the water. Potential buyers love that....

If you want jets, but an outdoor hottub- you'll enjoy it much more, and get a better return on your investment when you sell.

Bob

Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I would say that as long as you have a deep soaking tub that the jets are not really worth the upgrade. We have a jetted tub in our bath and we do use it a lot but not everyone likes it. If I had a soaking tub vs the jetted tub I would use it just as much. If you do get a jetted tub fill the tub with HOT water once/month and pour in about 1/2 gallon of bleach-run the jets for 10-15 minutes and drain. Then fill the tub with cold water and run the jets for about 5 minutes to rinse--kills the mold and takes care of the problem Bob mentioned.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If you do get a jetted tub fill the tub with HOT water once/month and pour in about 1/2 gallon of bleach-run the jets for 10-15 minutes and drain. Then fill the tub with cold water and run the jets for about 5 minutes to rinse--kills the mold and takes care of the problem Bob mentioned.
Yes, takes care of that problem REALLY easily and w/o much effort. You still have to clean the tub if it has jets or no jets used or unused.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
But if $900 breaks or makes a deal when it is time to sell........... It may be well worth it. To have to go in and replace a tub w/ no jets for one that has them years later is going to cost a lot more than $900. I'd go for it. You may use it every now and then. We have a large jetted Jacuzzi tub in our bathroom and I've only used it about 4 times in the 5 years we have lived here personally and dh probably about the same.

There are certain upgrades that the intial cost to have done during construction are well worth it even if it is one you may not use or much at all. This is one of them.
But to answer the question whether or not it adds any value would have to be no. To spend $900 or so now to get something that you will never really use, spend time and $$$ on the upkeep, and still add $0 to your resale value I would consider a total waste of investment. If you have the $$$ to burn then use it upgrade something that will give something in return, such as fixtures, flooring, counter tops etc......

Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_J View Post
But to answer the question whether or not it adds any value would have to be no. To spend $900 or so now to get something that you will never really use, spend time and $$$ on the upkeep, and still add $0 to your resale value I would consider a total waste of investment. If you have the $$$ to burn then use it upgrade something that will give something in return, such as fixtures, flooring, counter tops etc......
One would have to take into consideration the price range of this home and if it is standard in all homes in that area and price range. $900 now is going to add up if it loses to sell later on. There are just somethings that one has to pay for upfront because it can kill a sale later and this is one. That is not THAT much $$$ if it is in a higher end home. Like I said to come back to have to do it later is going to cost a lot more than $900. But to each their own.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:18 PM

523 posts, read 2,905,212 times
The house is ~ $400k. I'm not sure if other people in the community are opting for jets or not. Overall, I'm trying to keep the master bath as upgraded as possible (by getting nicer countertops, sinks, and faucets) so maybe the jets would go with a more luxury bathroom feel?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Another thing to consider is the size of the tub. Is it big enough (and deep enough) to actually soak in and use the jets effectively? I've seen jets in 15" deep 30"x60" tubs that you can't even get enough water in to cover your stomach- obviously, that's a total waste of money. Now, a 21" deep soaker that will hold two people is a different issue.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House