Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 PM

561 posts, read 972,563 times

Advertisements

Lightning kills 2 on Houston soccer field, injures 1 - latimes.com

I heard this on the radio this morning and it just broke me. I was actually playing bball Sunday night and we could see some lightning in the distance. I cant believe how easily this could have been me or someone I know. I cant imagine a family going to go see a game at a local park and then have this tragedy befall them.

I thought it was worth posting not because of tragedy but also to notify people that even the slightest hint of lightning should be enough of a reason to get indoors. And NEVER stand under or around a tree during a storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I know exactly where I was when that happened
almost exactly at that time I was dropping off my wife and kids at the front door of "China Bear" about 4-5 miles North of there.
It was raining really hard, I parked my van in the parking lot and I heard some lightning as I was walking to the restaurant
and I remember thinking "If there's one thing I'm afraid of, it's lightning"

I wouldn't be surprised if I was walking in that parking lot exactly when that lightning hit them.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
In an area where storms are common, we can get pretty complacent and often times forget how dangerous they can be. No one ever thinks something like this would happen to them, because the odds of it simply aren't all that considerable.

It's an unfortunate tragedy.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 PM

127 posts, read 400,575 times
Wow...I do that actually pretty often when walking out of a building. I did it last week. I guess I won't be doing that next time. Just like what nairobi said, I think we often forget or not think about these things, but once you hear the stories you say to yourself "that make sense".

Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,584 times
While very tragic and sad we live on the coast where you have warm air colliding with cool air off the gulf. Lighting strikes are very common, why where these people on the field with lighting in the area? It is common sense when you see lighting to get indoors or at least under cover. Maybe I am just better educated after living in Florida for several years being the lighting capital of the country. My heart goes out to the families.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Lightening has struck trees in my yard on 2 separate occasions. It got my neighbor to west tree 1 time, my behind neighbor, and their next door neighbor, and about every other house on the block.

Trees. Two weeks ago, we lost 2 tv's and the direct tv boxes, the router,etc and the Nutone intercom and garage door opener. One neighbor just about had to have her whole house rewired, fried the HVAC. We had a neighbor who runs coal fired power plants tell us surge protectors on the houses would do no good.

Seems like folks would know to stay away from trees in a storm.

RIP

Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 AM

30 posts, read 71,072 times
Sort of related....lightning wise. Here in Sweden recently, a lightning strike just killed 5 cows and 3 calves in a farmers yard. He is now suing the government to replace his cattle. The US isn't the only place where frivolous lawsuits happen.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriSwede1 View Post
Sort of related....lightning wise. Here in Sweden recently, a lightning strike just killed 5 cows and 3 calves in a farmers yard. He is now suing the government to replace his cattle. The US isn't the only place where frivolous lawsuits happen.
Here farmers are subsidized,
If any of them sues, I bet they'll lose their subsidy

Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here farmers are subsidized,
If any of them sues, I bet they'll lose their subsidy
You don't even need to farm to be on the dole. Several of my neighbors got the family land and lease it out. They still collect the subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston