Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,518 times

Advertisements

I have a situation were a new owner took over the condo that I live in, after explaining to him that the last owner went down on the rent because there were issues in the unit that he had not fixed. The new owner which I never new is name or contact info took over on the 1st of the month but did not contact me until the 5th and because I say that the increase is too much gives me a letter to vacate on the 6th if I move do I still owe rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,187,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanka4ever View Post
I have a situation were a new owner took over the condo that I live in, after explaining to him that the last owner went down on the rent because there were issues in the unit that he had not fixed. The new owner which I never new is name or contact info took over on the 1st of the month but did not contact me until the 5th and because I say that the increase is too much gives me a letter to vacate on the 6th if I move do I still owe rent.
Not much you can do there, unless you have a survivable, non-abrogatable contract at the old/lesser rate. Do you have a contract for the lesser rate? If so, when does it expire? If you don't have one, you're stuck.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM

I have the email that was sent by the owner manger for the lesser amount, but because the way in which I was talked to it does not make for a comfortable situation I am just wondering do I still owe rent for the whole month if I move before the date of eviction

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I have the email that was sent by the owner manger for the lesser amount, but because the way in which I was talked to it does not make for a comfortable situation I am just wondering do I still owe rent for the whole month if I move before the date of eviction
Do you have a written eviction notice? If so, it will state the date by which you have to be out. If it were me, I'd not pay any rent and just move. Let them send you a bill, then pay it.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 AM

There is a written eviction notice. But I don't want to be obligated for a whole month rent if I am only living under the new owner for 7days

Old 10-07-2010, 01:49 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,301,525 times
Quote:
There is a written eviction notice. But I don't want to be obligated for a whole month rent if I am only living under the new owner for 7days
I would just pay the prorated rent for the seven days

Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,226,365 times
He has to give you 30 days notice of a rent increase, just like you have to give him notice if you move-out - if you have a normal lease that spells this out. Are you even under a written lease?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
He has to give you 30 days notice of a rent increase, just like you have to give him notice if you move-out - if you have a normal lease that spells this out. Are you even under a written lease?
That's what I asked. Apparently the OP doesn't want to divulge, so I gave up.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
That's what I asked. Apparently the OP doesn't want to divulge, so I gave up.
So we are giving directions in the dark, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston