Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,609 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family will be relocating to Houston in May 2011 and we are currently looking for a place that has a good environment for both living and childcare.

My friend told me that many of her Houston colleagues had commented that Houston is not as safe as Austin and it will not be safe for me to walk around with my 18 month old twins by myself when my hubby is working.

Upon hearing that, I've been looking for a gated condomiums (I don't mind gated townhouses). Some examples are The Parkland at Hermann Park or Post Oak Blvd condomiumium since these condos are closed to childcare and my hubby's working place (Post Oak Blvd). However, I'm not sure if I've made a right choice; in terms of safety. I know Sugarland is a nice place but it seems too far from Post Oak Blvd.

I really need your advise. Any good high rise condos to recommend? Thanks.

My monthly budget on rental is $4000 - $5000 per month; depending on utility charges and furnished/unfurnished apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
I would look under residental leases on HAR.COM in Westhaven Estates. The main streets are Potomac and Nantucket. Nice/safe area that is nestled up to Tanglewood ($$$$$). Great walking and running streets. Big park near-by and everyone uses the large school park after school hours. There are several highrises in the area as well.

You may also want to look at the Deerwood Apartments on Woodway as well. $$$ Executive dwelling.

Good luck

Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_Houston View Post
Hi,

My friend told me that many of her Houston colleagues had commented that Houston is not as safe as Austin and it will not be safe for me to walk around with my 18 month old twins by myself when my hubby is working.
For EA and others - is this really something I need to worry about in your area (77079 south of Memorial)? We're moving there in July. Driving around that area on my last couple of trips, it looked very safe during the day although overrun with landscapers! Is Buffalo Bayou safe during the day?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
OP: St. James on Del Monte Dr. might impress you. My Great Aunt lived there for a long time. There's a large % of mature residents.....but they don't make alot of noise. he he!

BDFP: In 77079 you'll see rape/murder dots on the crime map behind Kroger- too many lower end rentals & some section 8 there. Another place to stay away from is the TH/apts behind Thornwood off Memorial.

I'd look at Georgetown/77079, The Pines/77024, or Memorial Bend/77024 for a lease. Maybe look into the Memorial Drive TH's across from Kroger (N of Memorial) because they're in a small, isolated group & not surrounded thousands of low end rentals.

There are more upscale places like the City Centre Lofts & Summerset in 77024, but I *think* you were wanting to stay around 1500-1700.

Someone (not sure if you did) posted the listing for a rental home on Carlingford. Not a good idea, IMO. It backs to some bad apts & the street is a busy thru path for the apt people headed to the feeder road off Kirkwood.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM

77079 is very safe as well as the bayou park.But like anywhere in the city,you dont want to butt up next to apartments.However,their problems are not the single family neighborhood's problems.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,609 times
Hi,

How about The Cosmopolitan at Post Oak Blvd 77056? Is it a good and safe environment to live in?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM

yes, but I think with toddler twins you will find outside play space non-existant.

You might be able to lease a HOUSE in Briargrove in your range.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post

I'd look at Georgetown/77079, The Pines/77024, or Memorial Bend/77024 for a lease. Maybe look into the Memorial Drive TH's across from Kroger (N of Memorial) because they're in a small, isolated group & not surrounded thousands of low end rentals.

There are more upscale places like the City Centre Lofts & Summerset in 77024, but I *think* you were wanting to stay around 1500-1700.
Thanks LizzySWW and EA. We're sold on the Nottingham Forest neighbourhood and with our budget at $3,500 we're hopeful we will find something close to the park but for that price we also expect a safe neighbourhood and good schools, I appreciate the reassurance.

Op, sorry to intrude on your thread.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
OP: Not sure if you'd prefer to rent a house or prefer Condo/highrise living, but with your budget of 5k/mth, I think you could rent a very nice house with a fenced yard to play in. Like someone else suggested, look up har.com, lease, zip code 77056 or 77019 or 77024.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
I don't think you would go wrong with anything you see on the mapview in har.com that is west of 610 and north of san felipe, or maybe even just north of westheimer. A house with a backyard would be nice for your kids if you think they are old enough to use/enjoy it. Otherwise, there are a few mid- or high-rises that are nice and in your price range. Being close to Tanglewood Drive is nice because there is a very nice greenbelt walkway there ... however, that is an expensive locale. Seems like the most affordable places close, but walkable to it, are west of chimney rock and north of san felipe. They would be mostly condos, but might be ok, depending on how long you plan to stay. By the way, I work very close to Post Oak and San Felipe and walk to work. It seems pretty safe to me, aside from the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston