Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM

25 posts, read 59,007 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to Houston in June. I will be working off of 290 between the Tollway and the Loop. I have spent the last few days reading all the old posts and researching schools, etc. to narrow down our search.
It seems like the NW suburbs will fit our family.
Now I still have a few specific questions I hope someone can help with.

It's pretty clear 290 is horrible for folks commuting into downtown. Is the drive still liveable based on my work location?

If so, it sounds like cypress is at the top of our list. Any suggestions for communities?

If not, should we be looking in Klein or further north to Woodlands?

Just like everyone else, we want a great school, easiest commute, nice neighbors and decent house price.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM

657 posts, read 2,545,795 times
With where you're working, you'll be fine with Cy Fair, Jersey Village or Copperfield.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks Premont.
Would your answer be the same if I said we liked what we read about Cy-woods school and area?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 PM

Default Elaborate on original

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu tom View Post
My family will be relocating to Houston in June. I will be working off of 290 between the Tollway and the Loop. I have spent the last few days reading all the old posts and researching schools, etc. to narrow down our search.
It seems like the NW suburbs will fit our family.
Now I still have a few specific questions I hope someone can help with.

It's pretty clear 290 is horrible for folks commuting into downtown. Is the drive still liveable based on my work location?

If so, it sounds like cypress is at the top of our list. Any suggestions for communities?

If not, should we be looking in Klein or further north to Woodlands?

Just like everyone else, we want a great school, easiest commute, nice neighbors and decent house price.

Thank you!
One of my favorite old posts was from Mr Football which had pics of Longwood area. This is what we are after; less crowded, lots of trees, quiet suburbs. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM

239 posts, read 639,167 times
After an exhaustive 2 year search of homes in the areas you're looking at, I can honestly say that you simply can't go wrong with the Longwood area.

It's beautiful, it's quiet, and has lots of trees and nature. The homes are currently priced from about $180K-on up to around $800K. It's zoned to great schools and is equally accessible to both Hwys. 249 and 290, making 249 to the Tollway and into downtown a viable option. Shopping areas are also within easy reach, yet are outside of the neighborhoods themselves.

I'm happy to help with more info, etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks.
Do you happen to know an approx commute time during rush hour?

Also, is there any re-districting to schools or a rise in crime or anything weird going on that we would want to know ahead of time.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
When you say between the Beltway and the Loop - which would be closer? If closer to the Beltway, you might consider Fairfield and Bridgeland.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 PM

It is close tot he midpoint.
Are these communities similar to longwood and still in the cy-woods high location?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,316 times
How refreshing---a poster who has done his homework! Bravo, Tom!

I can't speak to the schools (though Cy-Fair is supposedly very good), but my office is in Jersey Village (on the Beltway) and it is really nice out here--very family oriented, clean, just a nice area.

I also agree with Cheryjohns about Fairfield--very nice out that way and shiny-new. If you keep driving up 290 and then wander out into the countryside, I think it is some of the prettiest in Texas (beating out both East Texas and its oppressive pine thicket and the much-vaunted Texas Hill Country).

Fortunately for me, I drive PAST 290 every day on the Beltway headed home. Unfortunately for you, 290 is invariably hideously packed. One thing for Jersey Village---it's closer, thus lessening the "packed" scenario.

There were rumors that HCTRA was to turn Hempstead Highway into a Tollway (a la Hardy and the Hardy Toll Road, and Westpark and the Westpark Tollway), but they haven't even begun that project, so that's years away.

Good luck on your search, and welcome to Houston!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM

239 posts, read 639,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu tom View Post
Thanks.
Do you happen to know an approx commute time during rush hour?

Also, is there any re-districting to schools or a rise in crime or anything weird going on that we would want to know ahead of time.
Travel times can vary with the phase of the moon! But some people in the area report saving time and stress by going up to 249 to the Tollway and cutting back down, thus avoiding 290 altogether.

As for crime, the area isn't immune of course, but really it is quiet overall.

No rezoning of schools in that area at this time. Do note that some parts of the area are currently zoned to Cy-Fair HS, not Cy-Woods. Cy-Fair HS is a terrific school too, just not new like Woods and a bit more economically diverse for now, though Woods will be catching up on the latter too. I personally wouldn't make Woods a major criterion. It has its issues too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston