Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and complimented you on your traffic engineering knowledge, it means nothing when you are directed by pizz ant crooked, corrupt, lying conniving politicians who think they know better then you and I.

Everyone seems to agree here that it's not the traffic volume here that is the problem but the lack of proper planning by those in power. Who the hell was in charge of starting the Cullin Rd project before the funding was even in place? They started digging it up 3 years ago then abandoned it with cones and detours everywhere that the residents had to put up with because the money ran out to finish it. Thankfully it's has been completed since 3 months ago. But like all good govt projects, the improvements will be functionally obsolete in just a few years.

Yes add some more curb cuts along the feeder. And widen that skinny side street next to Walmart, Smith Ranch Rd which is only wide enough for Horse and buggy.
Planning? What's that? Politicians don't think and plan in terms of roads and infrastructure. They can only see up to the next election.

Heck, if planning had been done, mass transit would have been in the median on 288 and on other freeways in the area. No one though can look far enough into the future to see what is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Planning? What's that? Politicians don't think and plan in terms of roads and infrastructure. They can only see up to the next election.

Heck, if planning had been done, mass transit would have been in the median on 288 and on other freeways in the area. No one though can look far enough into the future to see what is needed.
I agree, probably because you are right. The real dummies are those who believe voting for these clowns change anything. I mean geez man...how many times does one have to be slapped in the face before realizing there are no good politicians. Only liars.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
I good engineer stay true to his/her skills and believes. If there are poor managers / politicians in charge is the engineer responsibility to educate them and enable them to make the right decision. If the manager / politicians will push you make the wrong decision simply walk out of the job. I will never put my name on something that is not true to my professional knowledge and believes. It does take some balls to stay true to yourself where is easier to blame it on poor management or corrupt politicians.

Have you ever heard the word “German engineering”? Do a bit of research on the roots of that saying and you may learn something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeb View Post
I provided reams of before-and-after studies, not to mention personal study and design experience supporting my position. You provided your intuition and drivers license to support yours. Somehow, your definition of "poor engineers" doesn't resonate with me

I doubt where you work that your engineering is heavily influenced by the whims of politicians. Did it ever occur to you that much of what you see out on the roadways is there because some politician had the very same "what the hell do the engineers know" attitude and decided that they knew what was best for those roads because "DAMMIT, I drive there every day!!!"

288 and 518 is a special kind of hell because the commercial development is all extremely traffic intensive and went in very quickly. And it's not like the fathers of the City of Pearland were going to delay those tax receipts to wait for the infrastructure to catch up. Add into it that TxDOT policy makers (not the engineers) have been pretty obtuse when it comes to driveway connections to the 288 frontage roads, and you get the special nightmare that we have there.

But don't worry, the idiot engineers are on it. Plans are in the works to add two driveways onto the 288 frontage roads into the Best Buy/JC Penny shopping center, which should help tremendously (can I say that, being a monkey engineer?) Further study has also recommended various improvements to 518 in this vicinity. So take some time from passing yourself off as an expert in topics outside your area of competency (if you are a PE, like many of us monkey engineers, that phrase should mean something) and let your politicians know that you'd like to see them enacted.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 AM

279 posts, read 724,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I good engineer stay true to his/her skills and believes. If there are poor managers / politicians in charge is the engineer responsibility to educate them and enable them to make the right decision. If the manager / politicians will push you make the wrong decision simply walk out of the job. I will never put my name on something that is not true to my professional knowledge and believes. It does take some balls to stay true to yourself where is easier to blame it on poor management or corrupt politicians.

Have you ever heard the word “German engineering”? Do a bit of research on the roots of that saying and you may learn something new.
How noble.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 AM

32 posts, read 74,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeb View Post
Plans are in the works to add two driveways onto the 288 frontage roads into the Best Buy/JC Penny shopping center, which should help tremendously. Further study has also recommended various improvements to 518 in this vicinity.
I am encouraged to hear this, thanks for the info.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 AM

32 posts, read 74,740 times
This is what I received yesterday from a director of transportation operations at TxDOT about this issue.
===============
Your email concerning traffic operations on SH 288 near Broadway (FM 518)and access driveways in Pearland was sent to my office for consideration.

The area around SH 288 at Broadway (FM 518) is very busy now that so much commercial development has been added. The section of Broadway east of SH 288 is FM 518 and is on the State roadway system . The section of Broadway west of SH 288 is a City of Pearland road.

There is considerable traffic around these shopping centers. We have added lanes on FM 518 to try and help reduce congestion, and also built the frontage roads in the past year. The access to the highway was purchased by TxDOT when the original highway was constructed, which allowed us to keep driveways from entering the mainlanes.

Now that there are frontage roads in place, the private property owners can pursue a purchase of access onto the frontage roads, and we currently have 4 of these types of requests in process. The process requires surveys , appraisals, and engineering drawings, so it takes some time.

The request must also be initiated by the private property owner, and not the State.

This will help reduce some of the traffic you are observing. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your observations.

Stuart Corder, P.E.
Director of Transportation Operations
Houston District - TxDOT
7600 Washington Ave.
Houston, Texas 77007

Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 AM

480 posts, read 1,699,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meilton View Post
I am encouraged to hear this, thanks for the info.
A member of the Pearland city council confirmed to me that the project to build the 2 new entrance driveways from the northbound 288 feeder into the JC Penney/Best Buy shopping center is moving forward. It is hoped these new entrances might be in place by Christmas 2011.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Cool. That should really help with traffic in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston