Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 PM

24 posts, read 83,214 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to houston (new mom too) and i am looking for activities, playdates for my baby (he's 8 months). I have signed him up for swimming lessons at the YMCA but its finishing up in a week...and I am wondering what other activities are there for us to do? And for mommies to meet new people too? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:02 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
How about a mommy and me CHL class? All joking aside, have you tried your local library? Most offer "storytimes" that are good for meeting other moms/kids.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:28 PM

133 posts, read 268,434 times
Stick with something they are good at, at that age. Emptying bottles and filling diapers. Too bad you can't make a living doing that.

Agreed with the library thing. The one in League City is great for this. And they even have a summer barbeque thing where they let everybody meet each other (children and parents). Lots of fun. My friends have a 6 year old and she is in some summer competition for book reading. But I think they have activities for the little ones.

Oh and a big +1 on the CHL thing too. A diaper bag is awesome for concealing a full sized Glock.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM

834 posts, read 2,683,441 times
Yes, definitely check out your local library for story time. The one near our house have the kids dance between each story they read, and to finish the hour, they create a craft (usually depending on the holiday/season we're on - 4th of July, Mother's day, Valentines, etc). Barnes & Noble also offer story times on Sat or Sun (Check the closest to you) in the children's section.

If you live near or in Bellaire, there is a mom's group called Bellaire Young Mothers (BYM). There are zip code requirements and some membership requirements as well..very reasonable, and you only pay a small fee per year. It's a great forum to share information about kids, nannies, schools, playdates, and also share information about needing handyman, doctors, and other home and personal needs Home - Bellaire Young Mothers

Besides this, there are a few Gymboree Play & Music locations where you can bring your baby to participate in a 45 minute class.

Sometimes even at Discovery Green they have activities for babies and moms. If you like working out and/or yoga, many places around town have workout wth baby classes.

Check out your neighborhood playground...chances are you will see other nannies/moms bringing their kids in mid-morning or later in the afternoon.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,614 times
Children Museum has a neat place for babies
Also, in each zip code, there's some kind of MOMs club. Google it or check out momsclub.org
If you're a stay at home mom, then you're in luck b/c these moms get together very often for playdates and activities.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,548 times
I agree with the Moms clubs. There is one in just about every area. Besides that, when we first moved here, my wife met a bunch of moms at the Little Gym classes.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM

63 posts, read 174,093 times
Welcome to Houston! As everyone else has said, you will most likely meet other moms through activities for your little one. A great resource for moms, especially new to the area, is Houston Kid Stuff - Welcome to HoustonKidStuff.com. It is arranged by areas of town and has all kinds of things for kids.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Where do you live? The Children's museum is great -- they have a whole floor dedicated to kids 2 years and younger with plenty to do for an 8 month old. I'd also check to see if your community has a mom's group.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,397 times
Default momsclub.org

International MOMS Club

If you PM me what area of town you're in, I can email you who your MOMS Club would be- it is a *great* organization that organizes playgroups and activities for moms and kids. It was a lifesaver when I moved here- an immediate support group of moms with intimate knowledge of the area, a full calendar of events, and helpful advice about everything from pediatric dentists to the best splash pads. I love, love, love MOMS Club!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 PM

222 posts, read 720,039 times
+1 for the gymboree music class....our little one loved it. and joining your local mom's club is going to provide you some much needed mom's nights out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston