Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM

168 posts, read 772,685 times

Advertisements

Sugar Land, as far as I'm concerned, is just about the best area around Houston there is. I've been here 5 years now (was in Houston before for many more) and for the conveniences, activities and friendly atmosphere, it can't be beat. For $200-@250K you should be able to get a really nice place, possibly with pool (check out HAR.com). The thing I like is that it's always improving and the city actually zones, so even the convenience stores look attractive. Check out the City of Sugar Land web site for all sorts of things like activities, sports, parks, shopping, etc. I would normally tell you about all the family-friendly things to do, but I don't know what hobbies you're in to and you don't have kids.

I suspect you may have problems if you plan to have a business out of your garage or something. If your business is anything you need a permit for you should contact the Ft. Bend Chamber of Commerce for information.

For your wife, we have several shopping centers, including the First Colony Mall within city limits, and of course there's the Galleria about 30-40 minutes drive away.

Good luck, and hope you find what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:08 PM

320 posts, read 296,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
SDBreaux,
You`re talking about NW...are you including The Woodlands in that area?
Yes, The Woodlands is in the NW Houston area. I highly recommend you put the NW area on the top of your list. Google as much information as you can. There of course are other beautiful areas in the Houston metro, but I feel the NW area is consistent in style, class and recreation. Other parts in Houston just seem to be random. You can go from the dirty ghetto with huge crime, go two blocks and be in a rich area with $600,000 home values. Strange.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
One of the biggest differences between the two is the ability of the middle class to not only survive, but thrive in Houston.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 AM

48 posts, read 267,590 times
Yes, it sounds like the OP is interested in the climate for (small) business opportunity--in that case Houston wins hands down.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
The woodlands just looks sooo beautiful
To live here in OC in an area that looks like like The Woodlands you have to spend in excess of 1 million....yes 1 MILLION!
Spending 1 million in OC is the only way to get into a nice area and away from the illegals!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
The woodlands just looks sooo beautiful
To live here in OC in an area that looks like like The Woodlands you have to spend in excess of 1 million....yes 1 MILLION!
Spending 1 million in OC is the only way to get into a nice area and away from the illegals!
Yes, it is nice to have more options for your hard-earned dollars, isn't it? California just got too developed and is overrun with snooty "movie star" types. By that I mean everyone -must- have the glamour. Nothing wrong with wanting nice things, as long as you understand you can get the same thing in another part of the country for three times less!

I hope you find what you are seeking in Texas. Dallas may also be an area you may want to consider. The city - in whole - is very progressive, "ahead," and "consistent" in beauty. They already have a commuter train (with expansion in progress), including a metro rail and reliable bus transpo. Houston did not even start construction on mass transit until five or six years ago. Dallas is still smaller than Houston (metro is larger, though), yet the city is still further ahead. But, I still say pick Houston - great business, family and homeownership opportunities EVERYWHERE!

Once again, good luck and I hope you find what you seek!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 AM

SDBreaux,
Houston was my pick from the begining, just because it is still close to the beach ... i wanted something affordable that is close to So Cal as far as climate is concern.
I don`t think there is another city in the whole US that would match Houston`s economy and affordability. Yes is hot and humid but i`d take that anytime over California`s outrageous home prices.
Here you need around $160K a year to pay for an $800K home to live in an OK neighborhood...If you want to live like in The Woodlands spend 1 million like i said earlier on my previous post....
There is no middle class here in So Cal.....you`re either rich or live among illegals who sit on the curb drink beer and have nothing to lose ....Sorry had to vent!

BTW, any $250K house in The Woodlands would be at least 1 million in the same nice area here in OC. so that`s a minimum of 4 times more for the same house!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 AM

165 posts, read 564,140 times
Default No middle class Flo

Quote:
SDBreaux,
Houston was my pick from the begining, just because it is still close to the beach ... i wanted something affordable that is close to So Cal as far as climate is concern.
I don`t think there is another city in the whole US that would match Houston`s economy and affordability. Yes is hot and humid but i`d take that anytime over California`s outrageous home prices.
Here you need around $160K a year to pay for an $800K home to live in an OK neighborhood...If you want to live like in The Woodlands spend 1 million like i said earlier on my previous post....
There is no middle class here in So Cal.....you`re either rich or live among illegals who sit on the curb drink beer and have nothing to lose ....Sorry had to vent!

BTW, any $250K house in The Woodlands would be at least 1 million in the same nice area here in OC. so that`s a minimum of 4 times more for the same house!
I know there are plenty of movie star types, but everyone is not rich or pulling in 160K. Besides the rich folks need people to do all kinds of stuff for them so where do those folks live? Just curious.

C.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM

More than half of people here are poor or doing OK at best.
There is a misconception about California that everyone here is well off and good looking

Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
More than half of people here are poor or doing OK at best.
There is a misconception about California that everyone here is well off and good looking
I feel bad for the native Californians who are now forced to move out of state because of housing costs and other economic conditions. The state is so beautiful and I'd hate to see it dwindle.

On the other hand, why would so many people live in an area that is guaranteed another major earthquake, possible killing millions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston