Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 AM

54 posts, read 228,842 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Anyone have pros/cons of Pod-type moving across country? Also anyone have an estimate on moving a 3+ bedroom house from the East Coast to Houston? What about the type of company that brings a 18-wheeler and you load and unload it?

Anyone have any great suggestions? We are trying to keep this move at a reasonable cost and it isn't looking too good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 AM

96 posts, read 370,912 times
My wife and I moved from Central PA to Houston back in August and our moving company charged roughly $2000. It is well worth the cost, which is now probably higher due to gas, as you do not have to lift a finger to move all of your crap. We used United Van Lines, but they were assigned to us from my wife's corporate relo company.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 AM

54 posts, read 228,842 times
Default Seriously??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennsylTexan View Post
My wife and I moved from Central PA to Houston back in August and our moving company charged roughly $2000. It is well worth the cost, which is now probably higher due to gas, as you do not have to lift a finger to move all of your crap. We used United Van Lines, but they were assigned to us from my wife's corporate relo company.
Right now, the cheapest quote we have is $8000.00!! I don't think we talked to them, they need to give us an estimate soon. Thanks so much.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 51,466 times
I do not know many services that offer driving a truck, and having you load everything on your own. Usually, they like to make money on the labor... I would suggest looking into the moving pods companies. There are many in the industry: PODS, SmartBox, PackRat, Door to Door... they all offer a similar service. They use containers, and delvier them to you. You pack them, so you do not have to worry about the added labor cost. When I moved a few years ago, I used Door to Door (http://www.doortodoor.com). Their price was the best out of these companies, and their containers allowed me to pack everything in tight! I suggest calling around to see which company will be cheapest in your area!Also, if you will need labor services for larger, heavy items, I suggest looking on craigslist. Many people post on this site offering cheap labor services. Just have them come for what you need them to move, and do the rest yourself. So much easier than straining your back on a large couch!Hopefully this is helpful! Good luck on your upcoming move!

Last edited by HelpingHand9; 07-20-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
It is all priced by weight. And the moving company...ie , United, Atlas, etc. is only as good as the crew you happen to get. We've used them all with my husband's company relocating us over the years. One United move was great, the next, using the same company was the worst! Obviously, packing and un-packing yourselves is the cheapest way to go.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,614 times
Our friends who moved from CA to Houston 3 yrs ago referred us to www.upack.com , who we are using for our move to Houston. Instead of charging by weight, they charge by actual space used, which is far easier to control. They actually recommend you utilize dead space, such as dresser drawers, etc. Our move is going to cost us a minimum 25 % of what the usual carriers charge. And I did say *cost* us, not *save* us...

Old 07-21-2009, 02:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,562 times
We used upack.com as well for our move last fall from CA to Houston. No problems whatsoever. On time delivery on both ends and nothing was damaged en route including a piano.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:34 PM

2,708 posts, read 2,209,968 times
We just moved from Charleston, SC and the cost was around $8,000. This was for 11,000 pounds and was with United. I have used Bekins and United, but would only recommend United.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston