Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 PM

169 posts, read 428,799 times

Advertisements

I mean this in a usability point of view, not aesthetics. I hate a nothing-but-garage-door front elevation as well, but I dont get the detached garage. takes up yard space, have to go outside to get in, higher cost of construction, longer, skinnier driveway...i cant think of one good thing except that insurance may consider it a seperate building which MAY save you a few bucks.

i'm from San Antonio and hardly ever see detached garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
I mean this in a usability point of view, not aesthetics. I hate a nothing-but-garage-door front elevation as well, but I dont get the detached garage. takes up yard space, have to go outside to get in, higher cost of construction, longer, skinnier driveway...i cant think of one good thing except that insurance may consider it a seperate building which MAY save you a few bucks.

i'm from San Antonio and hardly ever see detached garages.
I live in SA right now and HATE all the attached garages! I'm originally from Houston and we LOVED our detached garage in Kingwood where I was raised. We didn't have these dinky lots like they do here. A detached garage on a 12,000-20,000 sq ft lot isn't taking up much space. The long driveway is wonderful, because most of your guests can park in it! There aren't cars parked all over the street.

Believe me, I would MUCH rather have my old detached garage back! I hate staring at giant rectangles of ugly garage doors. You'd think that if they were going to do that, they'd put a nicer door on...

Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I love detached garage, and really hate to see a nice house with a big double garage on the front. It's maybe convenient, but plain ugly!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM

177 posts, read 425,480 times
Another vote for detached garage. Attached garage is convenient and all but think of the amount of fume coming off of your cars that could absorb or get in to the house. Also really hate it especially if the garage is right under need of a bedroom . The house looks nicer with a detached garage IMO.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I live in SA right now and HATE all the attached garages! I'm originally from Houston and we LOVED our detached garage in Kingwood where I was raised. We didn't have these dinky lots like they do here. A detached garage on a 12,000-20,000 sq ft lot isn't taking up much space. The long driveway is wonderful, because most of your guests can park in it! There aren't cars parked all over the street.

Believe me, I would MUCH rather have my old detached garage back! I hate staring at giant rectangles of ugly garage doors. You'd think that if they were going to do that, they'd put a nicer door on...
i dont mind having a long driveway, but not one that is barely one car wide where i am squeezing between the side of my house and the neighbors fence. and, yeah on a 20k lot, there's plenty of room, but on a >10k lot where the garage is literally in the back yard, i just dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I love detached garage, and really hate to see a nice house with a big double garage on the front. It's maybe convenient, but plain ugly!
again, i agree. i dont like it either, but I am talking about the actually functionality of it vs being attached.

i prefer a side load or rear load(w/enough lot space) attached garage.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:32 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Yep, you're right. We all need to call in a contractor and make our kitchens detached too.

Besides, it's easier to have a "Garage Sale" if it's not attached to your house.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Yep, you're right. We all need to call in a contractor and make our kitchens detached too.

Besides, it's easier to have a "Garage Sale" if it's not attached to your house.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
i have no idea what your just sayin'

Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,344 times
Detached garages are great if you stash too much junk, do woodwork and stuff

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
I would have liked a detatched garage (want not need) so that when we have guests they would park in the longer driveway and not in the street... would be especially nice for overnight guests.

Then again, some of the pros about the attached garage are the easy access. It's where we keep the trash/recycling. Just open the door inside the house and throw it away. I also store cleaning supplies, etc... in the garage. Easy to get from the house...

Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Neither have been deal killers for us although DH prefers attached for accessibility reasons while I prefer detached for the long driveways (better with our kids). One of our detached garages had been converted to office and storage space. Since we were both working from home at the time, it was nice to have the office outside of the home but just steps away. Short commute.

What I wouldn't like are garages at the back of the house accessible by alley in the back. I really like having a driveway from the front of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston