Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,884 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we are getting ready to move our family from Central Fl to Houston.

We are looking to rent a home in the $1000-1200 range. 4-5 bedrooms and 2000+ square ft. Hoping for hard floors and pet friendly. My husband will work just outside the 610 beltway northwest houston. We would go north or west. We felt the woodlands was too far of a drive so anything south of the Woodlands. Katy - 610 was about right too. Not sure of what all is in between there.

We are also looking for a medium size Southern Baptist Church. Not too huge and not too small (ie. only grey heads) Family friendly with activities for children, teens and adults. Good music program (ie. not all hymns, not all contemporary....music offends everyone equally.....lol j/k)

We would also need a recommendation for an internist doctor for my husband and I and a good peditrician for the kids. (one that is helpful with children with special needs)

Thanks for your help! We are nervous/excited about moving. This will be our first time really relocating our family and starting fresh. A little unnerving. Hopefully you Texans live up to the "Friendship State" motto. (can you tell I'm a homeschool mom?)

Thanks!

Nicki <><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,219,237 times
Hate to say this, but I seriously doubt you are going to find a house of that size in a good neighborhood for the price you are wanting. All I can say is good luck.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM

142 posts, read 398,307 times
Welcome to Texas!

I agree it will be difficult to find a rental house of that size for $1,200/mo. or less. I would suggest starting at the intersection of I-10 and BW8 and heading west from there. It would probably work out best if you contact a leasing service, since you are unfamiliar with Houston.

As for a doctor... check out Memorial Clinical Associates:
Memorial Clinical Associates | Houston, Texas

And a pediatrician for your kids... Blue Fish Pediatrics is amazing:
Blue Fish Pediatrics in Houston, Texas

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Tomball

Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,532 times
The rental price in Houston is more expensive than you think. I was shocked when I first moved here.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,318 times
Most rentals run about 1% of a sales price, so you would be looking at about a $100K-$125K neighborhood. You will be hard pressed to find your ideal home in that range. In my area, 290 & Beltway 8 - the Sam Houston toll road, there are a few good family neighborhoods that you can find homes renting in that range, but they will be more like 1,400-2,000 sq ft. For a 2,000 sqft home look to spend more like $1400 or so. Oak Forest area will have some older homes in that range, closer to your husband's work area.

As for churches, First Baptist is probably too big for your tastes, but it is close by at 610/ I-10. There are not a lot of "medium" sized Baptist churches in that particular area, most are smaller chirches. Jersey Village Baptist, our church, is what I would call medium, (1,000-1,200+ weekly attendence) but it is further out hwy 290, about 8 miles from 610. We have a great children's program, preschool through HS age, one of the main reasons we have attend there for the past 16 yrs. There are several other churches, but you will just have to look for them, Fairfield Baptist, The Met - Metropolitan Baptist, Champions Forest Baptist (a bit big) are a few.

As for doctors, there are several branches of Texas Childrens Hospital pediatric doctors all around town. We use an office on FM1960 that has great doctors, and there are several other locations.
Texas Children' s Pediatrics Associates - Home

Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston