Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:04 PM

527 posts, read 2,169,610 times

Advertisements

I and my wife are planning a weekend getaway to Houston. We stay in Dallas and hence will be driving our car to Houston. I believe it is like 4-5 hours drive from Dallas.
We want to see the NASA and everything else related to that.
What else is there to see in Houston ?
We plan to leave on a Friday evening / early Saturday morning and leave back for Dallas on Sunday afternoon-evening (so we reach back before it is dark).
Please suggest.

PS: We may plan to travel any weekend in next 2 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Well Houston does have a few good museums if you are into that sort of thing (such as the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Bayou Bend,Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Menil Collection, and the Houston Museum of Natural Science).

Also the Kemah Boardwalk is close to NASA and Galveston isnearby as well.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:58 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
Find out what's playing in the Theater District before you get here and book a couple of seats. Have an early dinner at one of the restaurants nearby and then enjoy some world class live entertainment -- most wives would love a romantic evening like that!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Wow, you are on a really tight schedule! Your drive will take every bit of 4.5 hours.....if not 5.

After you go to NASA (which is cool, but not as cool as it was before it was Disney-fied,) go east on NASA Rd. 1 until it ends. Turn right, then go over the big bridge (which used to be this really neat drawbridge back in the "old days.") Continue on until you see signs for the Kemah Waterfront.

Kemah is still a "shrimping / fishing village," but has been developed so that there is a small amusement park, restaurants (some of which have been around for decades,) shops and even a hotel.

I also agree that you should visit the museums in Houston.........they are fabulous! However, given your time constraints, you might want to go by the San Jacinto Monument (taller than that one in Washington,) and the Battleship Texas. They are in the same location (on the Ship Channel).....which will take you through / by the oil refineries........which are such a large part of Houston's history and economy.

These are in the Deer Park area, so you'd be on your way back to Houston.

It's too bad you don't have more time because there is a lot to see in Houston, and I could go on and on.

Have great trip!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,290 times
What about the near by flight museum (since you're into the space thing).

Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
yeah, I agree with the other posters who mentioned Kemah. If you are going to NASA (which has turned strongly geared to toddlers) you should try Kemah. It is really fun and you can have a nice dinner there too.

You may also want to try Moody Gardens. It is a bit pricey tho, so check up prices online so you can plan accordingly.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Oh....wow....wouldn't suggest you go to Moody Gardens or anywhere else in Galveston unless you have the time......which you don't. (Nothing against Moody....love it, but the OP doesn't have the time.)

Instead, you could go to numerous museums in Houston.

Again, I suggest the San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas......yeah, I'm a Native Texan, but even so, they are worth going to.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:23 PM

425 posts, read 995,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If you are going to NASA (which has turned strongly geared to toddlers)
My 74 year old father and my 46 year old husband enjoyed it when we visited last Christmas. (I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't raining all day - it made the tour a little soggy!) We took a 2 day trip from Fort Worth, and went to Houston, San Antonio and Austin. While in Houston, we went to the Space Center, and then to Galveston for dinner, before getting in the car and heading to San Antonio.

It was a very quick visit to Houston, but the whole family (ranging in age from 10 to 74) enjoyed it.

Have fun!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
The Houston Museum of Natural Science and the zoo are great and not avail in Dallas. I wouldn't go to art museums if you're not an avid fan because Dallas already has it's fair share of those. But seriously, try to go on a long weekend b/c going to Nasa is going to take up a whole day and many places aren't open Sunday.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 PM

527 posts, read 2,169,610 times
Is NASA tour (or whatever it is called) open on saturdays ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston