Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM

418 posts, read 742,170 times

Advertisements

I currently live around the I-10/Kirkwood area. I love it here but recently learned that I will need to move in the next 6 months. I'm lucky in that the property values have tripled since I bought this house, but that also means I won't be able to afford another home in this area.

I take the I-10/Highway 6 Park & Ride to my job downtown and wherever I end up, I would still like to be able to take the bus.

I've been reading everything I can find on the pros/cons of living in Katy or Cypress and although the newer, more modern homes are appealing, I'm overwhelmed at the thought of the much longer commute to downtown. I found a little pocket of condo-looking homes just north of I-10 between Kirkwood and Wilcrest (Sherwood Forest Trails and Sherwood Forest Glen). I'll post a link below to one of the homes on HAR.com. The inside is beautiful, but I'm not sure a little pocket neighborhood like that would hold value over time. Does anyone have any experience living there (or somewhere similar)?

11134 Sherwood Forest Glen, Houston, TX 77043 - HAR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
probably hold better than Katy or Cypress who are pretty flat

Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
I LOVE Cypress(longwood) but I think you will be better off staying on I-10 with a downtown job. Unless you have to be at work at 6am anyways, and can miss traffic.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM

142 posts, read 398,170 times
I live in one of the "pocket" communities that you're talking about on the north side of I-10. Mine is off of Upland Dr. just west of Wilcrest.

It's been a great experience so far... brand new construction, close knit community, great amenities, excellent highway access and commute times. If you can put up with minimal yard space and being close to your neighbors, then I think it's a great way to live.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
OMG, those homes are NICE! Are these the urban homes that you guys are saying that are being built all over Houston?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Thank you all so much for the responses.

DavidAg02, I am so glad you wrote. I was really hoping I could talk to someone who lived in such a place. I was a little alarmed that so many (at least the ones on Sherwood Forest Glen and SF Park) were either up for sale or had just sold in the last few months. I wondered if that meant people were getting in there due to the newness and then realizing they made a mistake. The location would be great for me since I'm already used to the general area, although everyone always cautions to "avoid the north side of I-10." My kids are college age and older, so that's not a concern. I do have pets I would have to walk and wondered if the rest of the area around the complex was safe.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Why move from i10 and kirkwood if you're just moving to north of i10 and kirkwood/wilcrest?

This is very confusing.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM

142 posts, read 398,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Thank you all so much for the responses.

DavidAg02, I am so glad you wrote. I was really hoping I could talk to someone who lived in such a place. I was a little alarmed that so many (at least the ones on Sherwood Forest Glen and SF Park) were either up for sale or had just sold in the last few months. I wondered if that meant people were getting in there due to the newness and then realizing they made a mistake. The location would be great for me since I'm already used to the general area, although everyone always cautions to "avoid the north side of I-10." My kids are college age and older, so that's not a concern. I do have pets I would have to walk and wondered if the rest of the area around the complex was safe.
My pleasure!

These neighborhoods tend to be a mixed bag as far as the kind of people that live there. There are plenty of young professionals with families, but there are also quite a few older people who have moved out of the Memorial area to downsize and get something newer with less maintenance. I think the seemingly high turnover in these neighborhoods is because of the close proximity to the Energy Corridor. Many of the working professionals in these areas work for Oil & Gas companies close by, and tend to get moved/relocated fairly often. It's nothing to be concerned about.

If you're interested I'll be happy to give you some details on my neighborhood and introduce you to the sales guy. Just send me a PM.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM

Why move from i10 and kirkwood if you're just moving to north of i10 and kirkwood/wilcrest?

This is very confusing.

Well ... if you must know, it's due to a (failed) arrangement with my ex. My home will sell for around $550,000, but I won't be able to afford another home at that price in my neighborhood. Trust me, it's necessary, as confusing as it might sound to you. I do appreciate the responses.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post

This is very confusing.

Well ... if you must know, it's due to a (failed) arrangement with my ex. My home will sell for around $550,000, but I won't be able to afford another home at that price in my neighborhood. Trust me, it's necessary, as confusing as it might sound to you. I do appreciate the responses.
I really didn't mean to pry but I wasn't sure of any your conditions for the new house. Those pocket townhomes are still new and developing so I don't think appreciation is right around the corner. Maybe in a few years when all the lots have been converted and the old apt complexes torn down. If brand new is your key requirement though, there are many of those developments around town so look around first. If brand new isn't key there are still houses available around kirkwood area in your price range. There's a nice small ranch down carlingford as well as smaller homes for alot less in Sedgwick and Sherwood oaks. Then there's nice new townhomes available in memorial bend for similar amounts of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: