Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,024 times

Advertisements

Moving to the Galleria area for a job there and am planning on living in an apartment real close to work.

A few questions after being here today looking for places to live:

- Why are there gates everywhere? I know that there is crime in the city but I thought that this was an up-scale part of town

- Where are all the chain restaurants? It looks like there are a lot of great places to eat around town but it is a lot different than where I grew up.

- What else should I know about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
What gates? All apartment buildings are gated.

Further down Westheimer and on San Felipe is a plethora of chain restaurants.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
The mall attracts a lot of different characters. The gates are supposed to make you feel secure. I don't think it works-- the people who live there are easily the most stressed-out folks in the entire city, especially the women.

Also, the chain restaurants are mostly inside the Galleria mall itself. On the streets there is ChickFilA, Panera Bread, Starbucks, Smoothie King, Chipotle, etc, etc, and once you get west of Chimney Rock there are even more.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
I lived here a few years now and it's really not that special. There are better parts of town but just like you I wanted to live close to work.

There are plenty of chain restaurants in the area. Most are located inside the Galleria mall.

Most apartments in the city will be gated. Not just the ones in the Galleria area.

Be prepared for nightmarish traffic. I try not to drive when I'm just going for a bite to eat or shopping. Plenty of sidewalks in the area. Avoid Westheimer. I use Richmond a lot and I also avoid Post Oak Blvd. I use Sage.

Expect to pay a lot for not that much square footage. For what I'm paying in rent I could probably find something double in a different area. But then I'd be further from work.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cle_hou View Post
- Where are all the chain restaurants? It looks like there are a lot of great places to eat around town but it is a lot different than where I grew up.
I found this quite funny.
We are moving out to the burbs and are trying to find NON-chain restaurants. The area is saturated with chains.
You actually want to eat that crap???
I guess the draw is it's cheap, but the galleria area is not.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,024 times
OK Thanks for the comments but I have been reviewing some of the comments about apartments around here and almost every single one has comments about how there are break-ins, shootings, robberies or getting their rims/tires stolen.

Where else can I live nearby that isn't as dangerous as the Galleria area?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Galleria dangerous? Bwahahahahahahahaha! Those places are gated so folks don't park there. Parking in and around the Galleria is precious.

Ronnie

Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cle_hou View Post
OK Thanks for the comments but I have been reviewing some of the comments about apartments around here and almost every single one has comments about how there are break-ins, shootings, robberies or getting their rims/tires stolen.

Where else can I live nearby that isn't as dangerous as the Galleria area?
There is crime everywhere. Even in Sugar Land(which was voted one of the best places to live in the country) had a rash of robberies of people in their drive ways. All that being said the Uptown/Gallaria area is one of the more safe areas in the city.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Yeah. No chains in the Galleria? Hmmm. Perhaps where you come from the chains are different, but most of the joints around the Galleria are chains. And I agree. Why wold you want to eat that? Welcome to Houston. You can find cheap food here that doesn't suck. I recommend Marine's Empanadas (Hillcroft not Westheimer) or Carribbean Jerk Cuisine. Get used to crime, you can't escape it.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
All that being said the Uptown/Gallaria area is one of the more safe areas in the city.
This says it is #8 for highest crime in the city:

Houston Crime Maps | Super Neighborhood
Houston Crime Maps | Super Neighborhood | Greater Uptown

I guess you can say "at least it's not Alief/Sharpstown/Gunspoint".

Are "most" of the restaurants around the Galleria really chains? Many little places are buried in strip malls and overlooked while driving, exactly the same way many suburbs are incorrectly stereotyped. Also depends on where you think the boundaries of Uptown really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston