Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 PM

22 posts, read 36,753 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I will be moving to the Houston area (Clear Lake) in a few weeks. I'm wondering what the level of dressiness is for interviews there. I am an Office Manager/Admin Asst/Bookkeeper kinda gal. I have dressy pants and blouses and various heights of shoes. I usually go dress pants, blouse, jacket/sweater and higher heel for interviews. Is the vibe more formal than that? More casual? I know that a lot depends on the type of business, but after going from Silicon Valley to nearly rural NC, I discovered there can be a big difference in what's expected. Any hints will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Always always dress your best for interviews.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:48 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Very professional. No low cuts, no short skirts. Nothing to tight or see through. Sheer pantyhose with skirts, and moderate high pumps. No 5 inch nails, no heavy make up, no flashy jewelry or sexy outfits. Nice hairdo. Smile...

Good luck!!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
houston is not a liberal s. california type place in the business world. fairly conservative. always dress 1 step higher than the job for which u apply.
dont forget your most important garment, your smile.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM

286 posts, read 739,395 times
I've always interviewed in a dark suit -- I prefer skirts, but pants are fine -- and a conservative but stylish blouse and close-toed mid-level heels. I don't do pantyhose (too hot), but I know a lot of people say to wear it. And I usually wear my hair back in a ponytail since humidity can do a number on it (obviously doesn't apply to men!). Minimal make-up and minimal conservative jewelry.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Even it's a menial drudge job, I will always dress the best that I can afforc (well, no tuxedos or bow ties). I will always have a tailored suit, good tie and be clean shaven. No if, ands or buts. Presentation is 60% of any interview. The rest is who you know and what you know.

*Oh, and one other thing. In Texas, always go big. Don't ever feel that you're overdressed for any interview here.

And, Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
I'm blown away that this question has to even be asked.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM

22 posts, read 36,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm blown away that this question has to even be asked.
Let me explain. When I lived in CA, I knew to always dress the best I could. I usually went pantsuit and heels with tasteful jewelry. When I came to Fayetteville, NC, people looked at me like I was an idiot to dress up that much. This is a small town in attitude even though there are a lot of people and an Army base. What I consider professional is thought of here has "I'm not from around here and I'm trying to make you look bad." It was overkill and I think it worked against me. So I'm trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak, and come out of the gate prepared.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 PM

225 posts, read 597,522 times
I think what you're planning to wear will be great.

We're fairly conservative here, not super dressy but not too casual either.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgirlfriend View Post
Hi!

I will be moving to the Houston area (Clear Lake) in a few weeks. I'm wondering what the level of dressiness is for interviews there. I am an Office Manager/Admin Asst/Bookkeeper kinda gal. I have dressy pants and blouses and various heights of shoes. I usually go dress pants, blouse, jacket/sweater and higher heel for interviews. Is the vibe more formal than that? More casual? I know that a lot depends on the type of business, but after going from Silicon Valley to nearly rural NC, I discovered there can be a big difference in what's expected. Any hints will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

For that type of interview a more professional look is appropriate in my opinion.

It depends on the job and you might want to pay attention to how the others dress when you turn in your application/resume. I myself don't wear heels of any kind just because I am into comfort more than style and I do not like my feet to hurt just from walking. Personal preference on the shoes though.

Obviously if you are going to interview for a convenience store clerk more casual would be appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston