Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Houston, Did you make the right choice?
Yes 5 25.00%
No 3 15.00%
Maybe 1 5.00%
Not sure 0 0%
Hate it there 1 5.00%
Love it there 3 15.00%
Should have move to another state 0 0%
Can't wait to move out of Houston 2 10.00%
Houston was the best choice 2 10.00%
Mix feelings on Houston 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM

59 posts, read 86,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
Did you visit Houston already? I was really waiting for your visiting memo. Please send me a copy when you get there and tell me how you feel. thx.
Nope. Not yet, but soon will be, I will be there in May 2012. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
Hey Guys I enjoyed all the comments about Houston. I too may be moving to Houston soon. Got flown out there in April for a really cool job (Media) I don't have the job yet but he called all my references and it do looks promising. Where would be a good place to live?? I was looking into Katy, but I really dont want to drive too far for work. I will be moving down with my fiance and her daughter. where can I live?? the job wil be just inside the "loop" looking for a nice place to be i would like to spend around 1200 max a month for rent (we would like a house) where can we go guys??!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 27,399 times
I didn't read all the threads but I moved here from NY end of last year and been here for 6 months. I am adjusting a little easier because i grew up here and moved away after college. However, I moved down here with my whole family and my wife is having a harder time with the adjustment.

Here are MY pros and cons:

PROS:
Buy a 5 bedroom for 250k
No state and city income tax
Kid can play everywhere and is safe (generally)
Public transportation stress is gone
Cheaper to live in general across the board (even McDonalds happy meal is a buck and a half cheaper here)

CONS:
No ethnic variety
Not much culture
Too many strip malls and half of them are empty
Too many areas is run down
Too spread out
No zoning really screw up the city imo

Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 PM

53 posts, read 80,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1388 View Post
I didn't read all the threads but I moved here from NY end of last year and been here for 6 months. I am adjusting a little easier because i grew up here and moved away after college. However, I moved down here with my whole family and my wife is having a harder time with the adjustment.

Here are MY pros and cons:

PROS:
Buy a 5 bedroom for 250k
No state and city income tax
Kid can play everywhere and is safe (generally)
Public transportation stress is gone
Cheaper to live in general across the board (even McDonalds happy meal is a buck and a half cheaper here)

CONS:
No ethnic variety:#4 most diverse city according to these folks---> News Headlines
Not much culture: Depends on how you define culture. Lots of museums, theaters etc? Lots of restaurants and clubs? There certainly are lots of those things.
Too many strip malls and half of them are empty. Yeah. Strip malls are practical and unpretentious...and cheap and good for business.
Too many areas is run down. Agree...but that's partly because it's a city with lower income people. These people can be considered as the decomposers within the urban human municipal ecosystem. They soften up the area for redevelopment eventually (see zoning comment below). When you don't see run down areas in a city then you will see a very expensive city. Houston's not there yet. Maybe in 25-50 years.
Too spread out. Density might be portrayed as hip with artsy buildings but people are healthier when they have space.
No zoning really screw up the city imo. Pros and cons exist for this one. One positive is that the run down areas that you mentioned above can be transformed overnight into something completely different, such as the Washington Ave/Rice Military area. Just doze and develop.
I have no problems with people's subjective opinions about this city but I will offer a few friendly counters to your cons.

Last edited by RedRat44; 06-10-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Is Houston really that run down?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Is Houston really that run down?
You need to come and visit bro really .

Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 PM

42 posts, read 78,625 times
What a crazy interesting thread!! I am moving to Houston this week, having previously lived in
Dayton, Ohio, Tulsa, OK, Highlands Ranch, Colorado, Kuwait City, Kuwait, Dallas and Ft. Worth, and now Calgary, Canada.
What do I like about Houston? I have a job there, my daughter and son have very good jobs there, and my grandson lives there. I will not be far from my other kids in Dallas, either. Did I mention we have jobs in Houston?? That trumps most everything in my book! Other cities may be better, or worse, but I want to be near my family and be paid while I am living there! I agree with Redrat44, too. Houston has everything to choose from. It will be what you make it! I have an earlier post for my daughter's house search closer to hospitals. I can't wait to get there to house-hunt, but we are searching for a house under $250,000 in a safe neighborhood with great schools. We will work closely with a realtor to find just the place, but I have appreciated everyone's comments and opinions. And, I am not looking for ethnicity or diversity, but a safe neighborhood with kind and thoughtful friends to have over for hamburgers and hotdogs. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 PM

19 posts, read 27,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRat44 View Post
I have no problems with people's subjective opinions about this city but I will offer a few friendly counters to your cons.
Like i said those were MY cons. Having live in both coasts and travel to most of the major cities at one point or other, very few cities have "culture". Houston is not a cultural city. You can argue all u want, this is a southern city with some Hispanics influence. There is no culture here unless u feel Houston livestock show is a big cultural event.

In terms of diversity, I am not talking about Hispanics. I guess i been in NYC for too long so i am used to hearing so many different dialects being spoken. There is probably no other city like it beside LA or SF..but Houston definitely don't have that multi-ethic variety.

OH ONE MORE THING..HUGE CON....

THE DAMM MOSQUITOES OMFG

Anyway,

Having said all that, this is HOME. Glad to be back. I am probably done moving for a while.

Last edited by jello1388; 06-10-2012 at 11:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
You need to come and visit bro really .
If you pay for my plane ticket and let me stay with you then I shole will.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1388 View Post
Like i said those were MY cons. Having live in both coasts and travel to most of the major cities at one point or other, very few cities have "culture". Houston is not a cultural city. You can argue all u want, this is a southern city with some Hispanics influence. There is no culture here unless u feel Houston livestock show is a big cultural event.

In terms of diversity, I am not talking about Hispanics. I guess i been in NYC for too long so i am used to hearing so many different dialects being spoken. There is probably no other city like it beside LA or SF..but Houston definitely don't have that multi-ethic variety.

OH ONE MORE THING..HUGE CON....

THE DAMM MOSQUITOES OMFG

Anyway,

Having said all that, this is HOME. Glad to be back. I am probably done moving for a while.
and where do you stay, the burbs, since I hear everthing from russian to afriacn on a regular.

greekfest
gay pride
international fest
number of other events but on by diffrent cultures

dont blame houston becasue you became stuck in suburb mode

Oh and what you think is spanish being spoken is not always spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston