Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times

Advertisements

[mod cut: deleted post]

There was a study out not too long ago from a reputable business mag that said Houston is the #1 place businesses are relocating to or expanding in.

[mod cut: referring to deleted post]

Last edited by elnina; 05-30-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
[mod cut: deleted post]
This is not at all what I see. Every time I'm in town, there are cranes everywhere and new buildings. Yeah, a business that wasn't doing well in downtown Houston may close, but then a new one moves in. So-so restaurants don't do well in Houston.... you have to be good to stay afloat because there's a lot of competition.

Last edited by elnina; 05-30-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default Enough of all this hype

Houston is not losing population. That is utter nonsense. The reason why it looks like we lost population is because the earilier estimates were inaccurate.

in 2009 we overestimated the population and now we have corrected it since the Census came out. We actually grew modestly in 2011 by say 9-10k people.

In other words the numbers were readjusted based on the Census, but someone decided to twist this and use it to promote their agenda.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 PM

157 posts, read 316,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Houston is not losing population. That is utter nonsense. The reason why it looks like we lost population is because the earilier estimates were inaccurate.

in 2009 we overestimated the population and now we have corrected it since the Census came out. We actually grew modestly in 2011 by say 9-10k people.

In other words the numbers were readjusted based on the Census, but someone decided to twist this and use it to promote their agenda.
To be honest, I bet you are right on the lost population issue.

I have no agenda - except for people in Houston to evaluate where they are now and where they want to be in the future. The current path is not the right one if you want to be one of the world cities.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Houston should continue on as it is.

Never give the least credence to what others in the world might suggest. We in the world know nothing.

The arrogance is sad, pathetic and self-defeating. Time tells the truth I agree.
what is arrogant is weighting into a debate , when you clearly dont know about the place you are debating, your trying to aruge with Us , but you ignore facts which come not from us, but other states , cities , and the nation. everything we have said can be proven, what about yours

Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Default Enough of all this hype

Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I have no agenda - except for people in Houston to evaluate where they are now and where they want to be in the future. The current path is not the right one if you want to be one of the world cities.
You mean one of the few city to regain every job lost, a top rating for two years straight, in business, finace, home ownership, hell even got a travel node(was,nt expecting that one)
massive mass transit expansion, rapid growing medical center, just appovaled another international airport, a parks program that rivals any current one out right now, even dallas trinty rivers project, a abu, a growing fashion sector(not yet world class , but still growing sector none the less), a increasly diversifing economy. etc , etc

Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM

157 posts, read 316,877 times
In grad school we were taught to search for truth to let our personal opinions go. I found that to be extremely good advice.

Being from West Texas I have no desire to "bless" one city over another when it it comes to Dallas or Houston. Personally I could not care when the two are concerned. But I would be disingenuous in saying Houston does not concern me.

Last edited by elnina; 05-30-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
In grad school we were taught to search for truth to let our personal opinions go. I found that to be extremely good advice.

Being from West Texas I have no desire to "bless" one city over another when it it comes to Dallas or Houston. Personally I could not care when the two are concerned. But I would be disingenuous in saying Houston does not concern me.
See the problem is if you had really serched for the truth , you would not have made the statement you made, or at the very least presented facts to support your stance, instead you have presented nothing but a personal view, which goes against the very statement you just made, people (myself included have presented articles , fince reports, rankings0 what have you presented ?

Houston #1 for 2012

Top Destination City
U-Haul International (as reported by Houston Business Journal) – March 26, 2012

Top City for Women-Owned Business Revenue
The State of Women-Owned Businesses Report (commissed by American Express OPEN) – March 2012

Top Metros of 2011
Site Selection Magazine – March 1, 2012

Largest Retail Market in Texas - Harris Co.
Texas Retail Survey – March 2012

Most Racially/Ethnically Diverse Large Metro Area
Kinder Institute for Urban Research & The Hobby Center for the Study of Texas – March 2012

Top U.S. Manufacturing Cities
Manufacturers' News, Inc. – January 30, 2012

Fastest Growing Wages in U.S.
Business Insiders - January 12, 2012

Top Technology Job Growth
CyberCoders (as reported by Houston Business Journal) - January 11, 2012

Top Gulf Coast Counties for New Plants & Expansions from Oct. '09-Oct. '11 - Harris County
Conway Data Inc., New Plant Database - January 2012

Houston #2 for 2012
Best Big City for Jobs
Forbes - May 1, 2012

Top-Selling U.S. Master Planned Communities in 2011 - The Woodlands
John Burns Real Estate Consulting - January 24, 2012

Houston # 3

Number of Fortune 500 Companies
Fortune - May 2012

Top City with the Most Construction Underway
Forbes - March 16, 2012

Top-Selling U.S. Master Planned Communities in 2011 - Cinco Ranch
John Burns Real Estate Consulting - January 24, 2012

Houston #6
Highest Household Financial Health
CredAbility Consumer Distress Index – May 16, 2012

Most-Visited U.S. City for Business Travel
Concur Technologies Inc. (as reported by Houston Business Journal) – April 25, 2012

aww hell this would take all day, I,ll just link you oh and rememebr I said for 2012, the list has 2011, 2010, etc as well..http://www.houston.org/economic-deve...ings-rankings/

Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 PM

Default Sorry Rowdy

Quote:

I did not mean to impune you if not the writer of the article. You sir were only making an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston