Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:03 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
They both used systems from Houston Mosquito Control Systems.
I wonder how much such system cost and how often you have to buy (cost?) the pesticide. One gallon containers seem to be small to last long. Do you have to spray 24/7 ( in intervals) to eliminate the population, or you spray just before you plan outdoor activities? One spray cycle hold the mosquito in bay for how long? It says you can have 12 sprays per day, so pretty much every 2 hrs -does that mean that one spray works up to 2 hrs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I wonder how much such system cost and how often you have to buy (cost?) the pesticide. One gallon containers seem to be small to last long. Do you have to spray 24/7 ( in intervals) to eliminate the population, or you spray just before you plan outdoor activities? One spray cycle hold the mosquito in bay for how long? It says you can have 12 sprays per day, so pretty much every 2 hrs -does that mean that one spray works up to 2 hrs?
The system is practically a barrel, a pump and a solution. They cost $1000 and up. The final cost depends on coverage, footage of pipes, nozzles, etc etc.

The basic principle is that the concentrate is diluted with water and sprayed at certain intervals (i.e. dusk, dawn). This minimizes the chemicals concentration, but it is still there.

More environmentally friendly options use garlic, cedar oil or citronella/lemongrass oils, but the EPA reviews I have read did not support their effectiveness. They may repel, but not all kinds of mosquitos, but certain flies and gnats.

In my opinion, these systems are not worth the investment. It is just too much money, high maintenance and not a 100% solution. But hey, there is no 100% mosquito solution so far. Because there are 85 kinds of mosquitos here in Texas.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,290 times
What about the simpler system that hooks up to your existing sprinkler for $100-$500?
Anybody using this?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Their systems start at $1800 and up, depending on how many nozzles you have installed. We got our system for their starting price, although they installed more nozzles and hosing...talked them down a little. We had 23 of them setup around our home. 3 nozzles in the entry way to our home, about 8 or so in our back porch, about 6 nozzles in the front and back flower beds and the rest around our fencing. The first week about 75% of them died..most of them the first couple days after installation. We were a little upset that they weren't completely gone the first 5-6 days, but after the 2nd week rolled in, they were pretty much completely gone....I seriously love this misting system.

We spray 3 times a day, in the morning at around 7:30, early evening at 6:30, then at 9pm. It has rained a couple times since we installed it and both times I stepped outside to do the mosquito bite test...nada. No bugs. For us, this experience has really changed how we enjoy our home now. We are actually spending time outside in the backyard porch now. We think the system is worth every darn penny. Oh, the insecticide is an organic and safe to humans...comes from a flower. Safe for plants and flowers too.

We have had our for about 5 weeks I think, and haven't had a refill yet. I believe they said refills occur every 2-3 months, depending on usage. I think it's $50 per refill...don't quote me on that though. System looks just like that shot in the above post. It's programmed from the computer mounted on the barrel, and also comes with a remote control so that you can manually control the misting when you have company or are out side, etc..

Our biggest issue was the water bugs carpeting every eave around the house...everyone told us we wouldn't be able to kill them, even the professional pest control services we used. I'm happy to say that these claims are completely NOT true. They are now gone and I couldn't be happier.

Oh, one other thing. They setup the barrel between our AC's outside, so it's pretty discreet. Also, the color match the hosing to the color of your siding and brick which is pretty nice.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Oh, the insecticide is an organic and safe to humans...comes from a flower. Safe for plants and flowers too.
Could you check on the name of the insecticide or ingredients?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Sure thing. It's called Pyrethrum.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
What about the simpler system that hooks up to your existing sprinkler for $100-$500?
Anybody using this?
This would be something like this:

1. Miracle Glo feeder or similar
2. Mosquito Barrier (the owner of "Bug begone" on 90 swears by it, LOL) / Mosquito Bits / Mosquito Dunks / Dr. T's DT336 Mosquito Repelling Granules
Amazon.com: Mosquito Dunks 116-12 8-Ounce Quick Kill Mosquito Bits: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Amazon.com: Mosquito Dunks 117-6 30-Ounce Mosquito Bits: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Amazon.com: Dr. T's DT336 Mosquito Repelling Granules 5 Pounds: Patio, Lawn & Garden
3. well, garden hose and water. :-)

I have not tried it yet, but will, in a few days.

So far I have tried a fogger with Black Flag fogging insecticide. And mosquitos laughed at me. ))

Amazon.com: Black Flag 190255 Fogging Insecticide, 32-Ounce: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Maybe the fogging liquid was old, I dunno. I will try a fresh bottle.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post

So far I have tried a fogger with Black Flag fogging insecticide. And mosquitos laughed at me. ))

Amazon.com: Black Flag 190255 Fogging Insecticide, 32-Ounce: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Maybe the fogging liquid was old, I dunno. I will try a fresh bottle.
Exact same thing I experienced. Here's what I had ordered based on the best reviews and user feedback:
  • Burgess 1443 40-Ounce Outdoor Propane Insect Fogger
  • Bonide 553 Flying Insect Fogging Fuel

It didn't really work, and the mess and stink it made didn't get any smiles from the fiance...

Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM

51 posts, read 237,184 times
our friends bought the same system (or something very similar), and it really does work! no mosquitos in their backyard. they didn't install in the front yard, b/c they never enter through there, but we enter through the front and its night and day between the back and the front. now they are thinking of getting it in the front for their guests. they have it scheduled to spray 3x/day, once in morning, twice in the evenings. we may get the system when we finally finish our backyard makeover.

it's pricey, but definitely worth it if you want to spend time in your yard.

Quote:
Their systems start at $1800 and up, depending on how many nozzles you have installed. We got our system for their starting price, although they installed more nozzles and hosing...talked them down a little. We had 23 of them setup around our home. 3 nozzles in the entry way to our home, about 8 or so in our back porch, about 6 nozzles in the front and back flower beds and the rest around our fencing. The first week about 75% of them died..most of them the first couple days after installation. We were a little upset that they weren't completely gone the first 5-6 days, but after the 2nd week rolled in, they were pretty much completely gone....I seriously love this misting system.

We spray 3 times a day, in the morning at around 7:30, early evening at 6:30, then at 9pm. It has rained a couple times since we installed it and both times I stepped outside to do the mosquito bite test...nada. No bugs. For us, this experience has really changed how we enjoy our home now. We are actually spending time outside in the backyard porch now. We think the system is worth every darn penny. Oh, the insecticide is an organic and safe to humans...comes from a flower. Safe for plants and flowers too.

We have had our for about 5 weeks I think, and haven't had a refill yet. I believe they said refills occur every 2-3 months, depending on usage. I think it's $50 per refill...don't quote me on that though. System looks just like that shot in the above post. It's programmed from the computer mounted on the barrel, and also comes with a remote control so that you can manually control the misting when you have company or are out side, etc..

Our biggest issue was the water bugs carpeting every eave around the house...everyone told us we wouldn't be able to kill them, even the professional pest control services we used. I'm happy to say that these claims are completely NOT true. They are now gone and I couldn't be happier.

Oh, one other thing. They setup the barrel between our AC's outside, so it's pretty discreet. Also, the color match the hosing to the color of your siding and brick which is pretty nice.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,290 times
What about something like this that connect to the existing sprinkler system line $613

Skeet-R-Gone - natural outdoor pest control systems and repellent products, eco safe residential and commercial bug control for mosquitoes, fleas, spiders, fruit flies, silverfish, ants and more.

Or other similar system
Pest Control - Mosquito Misting - Fertilizer Through Your Sprinkler System
NATURAL PEST FREE - Your Source For All Natural Cedar Oil The Ultimate Pest Control Eliminating Fleas, Bed Bugs and More

Install Pestigator Best DIY Organic Outdoor Bug Misting System - YouTube

If this works, I like this better than the misting system as you don't have to maintain 2 set of tubes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston