Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 PM

21 posts, read 32,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My daughter has lived on the upper west side for 20 years. She thought about moving back to Texas for a couple of years. She decided it was cheaper to stay in Manhattan.

You can get by without a car, but it will not be easy. It will be a large PITA.

Get the job before you come.

Welcome to Houston.
Why would it be cheaper to stay in Manhattan? Isn't that one of the most expensive places to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 AM

12 posts, read 25,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
I've lived all around Houston, at places that are so-so, and luxo apartments. Myself or my roommates have had our car broken into at all of them. It doesn't matter where you are, there are thieves peeping into cars even at the gated locations.

With that said, based on your needs and work location, I think a GREAT apartment you should seriously look into is 4444 Westheimer Apartments: apartments for rent in Houston rental apartments rent apartments in Houston

Me and my fiance were there for 2 years. It's gated. Has good amenities. Perfect location...seriously, it's next to 610 and Westheimer, and is located just at Highland Village, which is a really great starting point to accessing a lot of what Houston has to offer, great food, etc.. I was paying $680 3 years ago for a 750sf apartment, 1br. Not sure how much it's changed since, so you may wanna check.

I really miss driving a mile away to the village plaza's, taking a quick drive up to Montrose and Rice, then picking up some hot beignets and cafe au lait from Crescent City. Wow...I'm really missing that right about now.

If you have any questions, pls feel free to ask me
Thanks, I will def keep this in mind. Sounds like Houston is really big on food, which is great as wifey and I are too

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartMeOver View Post
Why would it be cheaper to stay in Manhattan? Isn't that one of the most expensive places to live?
Depending on how she lives, it could be, but for the same money it sounds like Houston has a MUCH better quality of life. NYC, you could get a place to live for $1000/mo, but it would DEFINITELY be with a roommate or in a really small studio somewhere far out, and then there's the subway, etc. etc. I'm just tired of it all to be frank.

Anyone know if there are motorcycle track days near Houston?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
A friend has a rent controlled apartment on CPW. She pays around 1200 a month. The exact apartment above her rents for 7000 a month. She's been there since 1961. Depends on who ya know. There are also apartments that are rent stabilized. The landlord can only raise the rent a specified percent a year. If the tenant moves out, the apartment can go up to market value.
Many urban centers with falling down housing gave it away in the 70's just to get investors to bring it up to code. There are buildings like that all over New York. They are hard to buy into and have income requirements. A nurse or a school teacher in NYC can get an apartment in Harlem and north for $250,000. The transit monthly pass is about a hundred a month.
It is the folks on Wall street and media paying millions of dollars for housing. If one is patient and wise, a good deal is there to be had.
My relative bought a 2 bedroom in a building that was being converted from projects to condos for 195,000. All of the tenants could purchase their apartments if they wanted, or just continue to rent. The original purchaser could sell for what they could get. As the welfare tenants moved on or died, the building owner redid the apartment. If you could get in at the conversion and stay put 15 years, the apartments sell for a million up.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Subletting rent controlled apts is illegal... I have heard multiple stories of people losing their apts just for having their kids live there while they lived elsewhere

My apartment now is rent controlled but its $2000 for a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom (walk up!!!). If I stayed here long enough it might pay off but I'm not gonna hang around long enough to see. Co-ops are a somewhat better deal, but still, your purchase prices don't factor in maintenance costs, which are absurdly high for even a mediocre place

Large 3 Bedroom Co-op

180K 3 bedroom, a good 60-90 mins from city work, $1000/mo maintenance that will only go up every year (on top of property taxes), wiping out the whole reason to buy. If you want to own a building outright, it's either gonna be a million dollar brownstone in need of a ton of work, or a house on a 40x80 lot in a neighborhood a good hour plus out of the city, on the more expensive commuter rail line. Not to dump on NYC, its great when you come in with the right parameters... but its definitely not cheap for the average person.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool the kid View Post
Subletting rent controlled apts is illegal... I have heard multiple stories of people losing their apts just for having their kids live there while they lived elsewhere

My apartment now is rent controlled but its $2000 for a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom (walk up!!!). If I stayed here long enough it might pay off but I'm not gonna hang around long enough to see. Co-ops are a somewhat better deal, but still, your purchase prices don't factor in maintenance costs, which are absurdly high for even a mediocre place

Large 3 Bedroom Co-op

180K 3 bedroom, a good 60-90 mins from city work, $1000/mo maintenance that will only go up every year (on top of property taxes), wiping out the whole reason to buy. If you want to own a building outright, it's either gonna be a million dollar brownstone in need of a ton of work, or a house on a 40x80 lot in a neighborhood a good hour plus out of the city, on the more expensive commuter rail line. Not to dump on NYC, its great when you come in with the right parameters... but its definitely not cheap for the average person.
Nobody is doing anything illegal. Don't you think the landlord would know who is in his building?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 AM

If your friend doesn't live in the apt with your daughter its illegal. I'm not ratting, I'm just saying (if I understand your post correctly).

But the subletted rent controlled apt is basically winning the lottery, not really a viable option for most NYers (me anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston