Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,270,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
77064 really isnt anywhere near the EC, which if you look at a map runs along I-10 basically from the Beltway due west to around Highway 6.

Either way 77077 and 77079 will work, but do expect heavy traffic during the commute. Pay attention to school zonng in 77077, some are better than others.
A lot of the apartments I've been looking at are on or near Eldridge Pkwy. How is the traffic on that compared to the Beltway?

I didn't realize that 77077 and 77079 are in different school districts. Is one preferable to the other, if not in terms of quality, then in terms of allowing parents to send children to schools they may not be zoned for? The reason I ask is that if we end up renting for a year or so and then buy nearby, I would hate to have to make my daughter switch schools because of a zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,514,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
A lot of the apartments I've been looking at are on or near Eldridge Pkwy. How is the traffic on that compared to the Beltway?

I didn't realize that 77077 and 77079 are in different school districts. Is one preferable to the other, if not in terms of quality, then in terms of allowing parents to send children to schools they may not be zoned for? The reason I ask is that if we end up renting for a year or so and then buy nearby, I would hate to have to make my daughter switch schools because of a zone.
77079 is Spring branch isd. Smaller isd and well respected. Yes, i've heard of them letting kids stay at one school if a house is bought within district. Usually its if they only have one or two years left in that school anyway. Far western 77079 is katy isd. Another mega district, but very solid. That district wouldnt let her stay in her original school.

77077 is in the mega district of Houston isd. Some schools are great, most not. 77077 has a few of the better ones.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,427,262 times
Quote:
77079 is Spring branch isd. Smaller isd and well respected. Yes, i've heard of them letting kids stay at one school if a house is bought within district. Usually its if they only have one or two years left in that school anyway.

77077 is in the mega district of Houston isd. Some schools are great, most not. 77077 has a few of the better ones.
77079 can be either Spring Branch or Katy ISD. Katy Taylor is the high school they feed to in 77079. Its not too close location wise but has a good reputation last time I checked.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
77079 can be either Spring Branch or Katy ISD. Katy Taylor is the high school they feed to in 77079. Its not too close location wise but has a good reputation last time I checked.
Edited my response. I always forget about that area by Hwy 6 and the district change

Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,918,115 times
I agree with above posters pointing the OP toward Northwest Houston near where he will be working. Why look in Energy Corridor/Far West Houston with an unnecessary (and expensive - tollroad) commute? For the OP's budget I would recommend Jersey Village or nearby Winchester Country. Heck, the upper end of his budget might get him into one of the smaller homes in Laurel Creek or Woodwind Lakes (Section 4). Schools are good, lots of mature trees and trails, very convenient location and a 5-10 minute commute.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,136,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

I didn't realize that 77077 and 77079 are in different school districts. Is one preferable to the other, if not in terms of quality, then in terms of allowing parents to send children to schools they may not be zoned for? The reason I ask is that if we end up renting for a year or so and then buy nearby, I would hate to have to make my daughter switch schools because of a zone.[/quote]

Eldridge Parkway between those apartments and the I-10 is in the middle of construction and is a traffic nightmare, not sure when it will be finished. Note also the apartments on Eldridge are nice but not zoned to Barbara Bush. Do not count on being able to send your kids to a school they're not zoned for, its a gamble.

I think on your budget you're stretching for that area and not gaining anything in terms of the commute. If you can handle the compromises great, otherwise I'd be looking more to the north west.

In any event, here's the link to the Barbara Bush attendance zone, from what I can tell it's a great school but the middle school not so much.

http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/SchoolBoundaryMaps/bushES.pdf

Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,878,877 times
77064 is where I am, West Rd & BW8, which is right by your office. Jersey Village proper would meet most of your criteria, but I doubt you can find everything in that price range. Most of the other areas around JV are newer, 10-25 yr old neighborhoods. We have several neighborhoods off West Rd from the $100s to $300s and the schools are great. May not be as "walkable" as other areas, but we have lots of park land and areas around us for walking and biking. My commute to the downtown area is less than 30 min when there is no traffic, (45 min+ with traffic) and access to the Energy Corridor area is about 15-25 min or so, straight down the beltway. Take a look at homes in the 77064 zip, like Winchester Country & Winchester Trails, Willowbridge, Stonebridge, Westbridge, Woodwind Lakes (section 2, the gated part). If you have any questions about the area, neighborhoods, or the schools, (good vs just OK) certainly send me a message and I can help or answer your questions. We've been in that area for over 15 years and really like it.

As others have said, Copperfield and The Colonies are good also while staying in the budget, and are not too far away from work (~30 min or less). Champions is also a good option.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I am miffed why the OP wants to be so far SW of work to live. Prices are higher and the beltway is no joke of a commute. Plenty of nice places to live off 249. Eldridge to up there would be a major headache.

Dont get me wrong, I adore living along the park in the EC, but when i had to commute in from the north using the beltway...well..it wasn't fun.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,212,826 times
Rent a house in Steeplechase, Winchester, Copperfield, Bear Creek Village, or the Colonies for a year. That puts you closer to work than the EC - and gives you time to evaluate where you want to buy later on.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,308 times
Quote:
Yeah, I am miffed why the OP wants to be so far SW of work to live. Prices are higher and the beltway is no joke of a commute. Plenty of nice places to live off 249. Eldridge to up there would be a major headache.

Dont get me wrong, I adore living along the park in the EC, but when i had to commute in from the north using the beltway...well..it wasn't fun.
I imagine that Terry Hershey and quick drive to city centre and galleria and hip areas of Washington ave are a draw to staying closer to I-10, atleast that was my surmise and why I recommended 77043. 77077 does indeed have nice new apartments, but I don't think he'll like the commute from there than if he were farther north and east.

Jersey village, copperfield and champions all are great areas with good schools, but certainly more suburban and farther from young hip areas. That's my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston