Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM

116 posts, read 157,710 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am planning a MASSIVE move. I live in the United Kingdom, by no means rich or wealthy, but moving to Houston next year hopefully, to get married to my fiance.

I currently work as a Personal Banker here in the UK, earning the equivalent of 30-32k USD. I know it isn't the greatest salary in the world, but it does me. I am currently saving for my wedding and cost assosiated with visas.

What I am wondering is, how hard is it to find a job in Houston? especially in say my area or something similar in sales.

The setup will be, me and my fiancee living together, I will be working full time, and she will be at college and will most likely get a part time job. I have no doubt budgeting will be tight. But I have had a look assuming I get a job in and around the 30k mark, we could find a nice enough place to live.

We don't necessarily need to live in the city either, don't mind commuting to work, this is all up in the air at the moment, we will see where it takes us anyway.

But what I am really wanting to know is, how is the economy and job market, I don't really have any formal education, a year at community college getting me a British qualification in IT. I do have experience in sales and banking obviously, so I am banking (excuse the pun ) on that to land a job.

Any advice on the matter would be great.

I cannot wait to move to your beautiful city!

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
We can't wait for someone with such a positive attitude to get here.

I've known a couple of people who worked for local banks, and I was under the impression that they didn't make very much money, but I don't know that for a fact.

My guess is that once you get your visas in order and get here, you'll eventually be able to get a job making equivalent money or better. It might be slightly tough going at first, but I wouldn't be very hesitant.

You definitely get more bang for your buck living in the suburbs and driving in (if you need to commute into the city). Keep in mind that Houston has a lot of business out in the suburbs, so you might not need to worry about commuting into town.

Good luck on your move and I wish you all the best with the upcoming marriage.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,186 times
It's interesting how many people from the UK are moving to Houston. How are y'all hearing about us over there?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
We can't wait for someone with such a positive attitude to get here.

I've known a couple of people who worked for local banks, and I was under the impression that they didn't make very much money, but I don't know that for a fact.

My guess is that once you get your visas in order and get here, you'll eventually be able to get a job making equivalent money or better. It might be slightly tough going at first, but I wouldn't be very hesitant.

You definitely get more bang for your buck living in the suburbs and driving in (if you need to commute into the city). Keep in mind that Houston has a lot of business out in the suburbs, so you might not need to worry about commuting into town.

Good luck on your move and I wish you all the best with the upcoming marriage.
Thank you so much, I hope all locals are like yourself

We both know it will be difficult to begin with, but I'm a hard worker, we are both young, and know what we want, so we will put the graft in, anything worth having is worth working for!!

Is bad I'm looking more forward to buying a Rockets season ticket than my wedding :P I'm joking of course hahah

But thank you, we will definately look in the suburbs! would you know any decent areas, maybe 30-60min max out of the CBD, that are cost friendly but still have some ammenities, we are both in our early 20's so whilst we are looking to settle down, it would be nice to go for a drinks and stuff now and then haha

Thanks again

Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
It's interesting how many people from the UK are moving to Houston. How are y'all hearing about us over there?
Well, I would imagine it would have something to do with the oil? I know a lot of people from Aberdeen in Scotland, move to Houston due to the oil industry. Possibly that and isn't it now the 4th biggest city?

I'm moving for love not oil however haha

Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Well, I would imagine it would have something to do with the oil? I know a lot of people from Aberdeen in Scotland, move to Houston due to the oil industry. Possibly that and isn't it now the 4th biggest city?

I'm moving for love not oil however haha
You'd be surprised to know how many people in the states don't even know we're the 4th largest, let alone that we use cars instead of horses to get around. Didn't know that about Scotland, very interesting!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 PM

536 posts, read 1,063,290 times
Welcome from a fellow Brit!
There's also a British Expats forum British Expats where there's a load of Brits that have moved across that has a ton of info on building up credit, advice for buying cars etc etc that is very valuable (you will have no credit history here and frankly it's a bit of a pain if you're used to having it in the UK).

As for the economy, Houston is doing well. The Oil industry is thriving at the moment and that's helping drive other things along. There are definitely a lot of banks around but I'm afraid I have no idea about competition for personal bankers. If you're flexible and willing to take a job just to get started, I think you should be alright, sounds like you have a good positive attitude about it all.

(and yes, there's a lot of corporate relocations going on at the moment from the UK to the US and Houston in particular)

Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM

536 posts, read 1,063,290 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised to know how many people in the states don't even know we're the 4th largest, let alone that we use cars instead of horses to get around. Didn't know that about Scotland, very interesting!
Aberdeen is to the UK what Houston is to the US.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:03 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times
Pick the right suburb and you can be in some of the trendier/younger areas for drinks/dates/nights out in not much time at all. I am older than you and married with kids, but still, I can get from our home in Sugar Land to some of the trendier areas of town in a half an hour or so if I want a date night out with the husband. Also, Sugar Land town square is good for a date night out too.

Good luck with your move and your marriage. I moved around for love too. I understand!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Haha, well I am glad you all use cars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
Welcome from a fellow Brit!
There's also a British Expats forum British Expats where there's a load of Brits that have moved across that has a ton of info on building up credit, advice for buying cars etc etc that is very valuable (you will have no credit history here and frankly it's a bit of a pain if you're used to having it in the UK).

As for the economy, Houston is doing well. The Oil industry is thriving at the moment and that's helping drive other things along. There are definitely a lot of banks around but I'm afraid I have no idea about competition for personal bankers. If you're flexible and willing to take a job just to get started, I think you should be alright, sounds like you have a good positive attitude about it all.

(and yes, there's a lot of corporate relocations going on at the moment from the UK to the US and Houston in particular)
Brilliant, I will check that forum out. I don't really have credit here either so its not a problem. My Fiancee would probably be able to get credit if needed as she has lived in the states all her life.

Glad to hear the economy is good - yeah absoloutely willing to do anything just to get settled and pay the bills, so you reckon it shouldn't be too hard to find some work as a stop gap, even if it working in walmart whilst I try to get a similar job to what I have now.

Is there a lot of job vaccancies in Houston, if I am willing to do anything, and what sort of salary would you be looking at, for an average job, for someone like myself with no qualifcations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
Aberdeen is to the UK what Houston is to the US.
Yup, Oil Capital of Europe and Oil Capital North America.

Thanks all again for the help and support!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston