Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 PM

814 posts, read 759,593 times

Advertisements

What's the story with the Four Corners? Growing up I went to middle school in the sharpstown area and high school in Alief. I'm very familiar with ghetto and dangerous areas. I had a friend who went to one of the sugar land high schools (I forget which one) and I would tease him about how safe his school was, how wealthy the students parents were and how undiverse the culture was.

He told me that was pretty much the way it was, except for some really ghetto hispanic kids that live in the Four Corners. I thought to myself, how bad could it be? I assumed he was a sheltered suburban kid and that he was over exaggerating when he described the place and who lived there because they were the only ones that didn't live in $300k homes.

Again I thought, it's sugar land, their worst area is probably pretty fancy. I knew about town west, but I don't really consider that part of sugar land, that's more like alief. So recently I drove through the four corner while taking the back roads. I was really surprised with what I saw. Very rough looking area located in a very strange spot. I stopped at that little store on the dirt rhode to buy something and a couple of guys walked in. They had tattoos all over their faces and I don't mean a little tear drop, I mean just all over the face. They didn't say or do anything to me, but spooked me a little. I've never heard of any crime in that area, but the place really gave me a feel similar to the wards inside the loop.

Anybody know anything about the history there? Was it a farm that never got developed? It's in a very weird location, just isolated one block away from some nice houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 PM

331 posts, read 486,967 times
I have no idea where you're talking about. There are no dirt roads in sugar land and town west isn't in sugar land. Lots of places have a sugar land postal address that aren't in the city. The "lower end" areas of actual sugar land are very limited, small pockets of first colony and one or two neighborhoods on the north side... But you couldn't touch them for anything that would be considered truly low end. I will have to look up four corners, sugar land. Have never heard of that before.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 PM

331 posts, read 486,967 times
Four Corners, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not in sugar land city limits based on the map. Interesting, though. I never knew it existed. Learn something new every day I guess.

There are lots of not so spectacular areas right around sugar land with a sugar land address. Particularly on the north side. Lots of apartments immediately north of the city limits since they're more difficult to build in the city.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
Four Corners, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not in sugar land city limits based on the map. Interesting, though. I never knew it existed. Learn something new every day I guess.

There are lots of not so spectacular areas right around sugar land with a sugar land address. Particularly on the north side. Lots of apartments immediately north of the city limits since they're more difficult to build in the city.
Yeah it really flies under the radar. The place looks poverty stricken, it's like a combination of trailer homes and shacks surrounded by what looks like use to be an agricultural farm. You'll see like maybe 2 cows and 1 horse. Then right south of that is a nice looking neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Yeah it really flies under the radar. The place looks poverty stricken, it's like a combination of trailer homes and shacks surrounded by what looks like use to be an agricultural farm. You'll see like maybe 2 cows and 1 horse. Then right south of that is a nice looking neighborhood.
Poverty stricken?? Per the map, that's most of Woodbridge west of SH6. I never thought of that area as ghetto, poverty stricken, or crime ridden. Looks decent enough to me.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Poverty stricken?? Per the map, that's most of Woodbridge west of SH6. I never thought of that area as ghetto, poverty stricken, or crime ridden. Looks decent enough to me.
Like I said the nice houses are less than a block away. Also woodbridge would be west of it, south is some other neighborhood, I don't know what it's called. Just drive through there, go down old Richmond and make a right on west belfot.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
They were there first and its a reminder of what we all came from.

Sugar land was a blue collar town to begin with until a few wealthy people started changing things

The real Sugar Land is behind the old mill as you can see how they really lived at one time

Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Yeah it really flies under the radar. The place looks poverty stricken, it's like a combination of trailer homes and shacks surrounded by what looks like use to be an agricultural farm. You'll see like maybe 2 cows and 1 horse. ...
It has been like this for a long, long time.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
You see things like this a lot in unincorporated areas. New Territory West makes a donut shape around a storage facility and a few private lots the developer wasn't able to purchase; Greatwood has a trailer park in its backyard, and more private lots off of FM 2759 across the bayou from it; the northeast corner of 99 and 90-A has a few old shacks to the right of FM 1464; Fulshear is a hodge-podge of new master planned communities and old... well, land with more shacks on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston