Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM

189 posts, read 584,596 times

Advertisements

Do seller or the closing title company has the legal responsibility to disclosure if the land that they sell / close is in the flood zone. I found out after the closing that the land that i bought to build my home is in the flood zone.

I am not sure if i am being cheated on this or not and need your advise. Thanks.

According to this link here: http://ceres.ca.gov/planning/nhd/showtell.html - the seller must give must give the prospective buyer a separate "Natural Hazard Disclosure Statement" if the residential property lies within one or more of six statutorily specified areas.

Does this apply for house only or also include land. Thanks.

Last edited by xecluded; 09-05-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
I don't know if those disclosure laws are county or local-specific but a few months ago I sold a house on 2+ acres north of Lubbock that was well within the designated 100-year flood plain. I was told by the title company no disclosure was necessary. I did, however, disclose the fact on paper to the buyer before the sale simply because it was the right thing to do. And too, I financed the property over several years and didn't want an angry buyer if the property ever did flood.

Short story, I don't know if they broke the law in your county but, if they were honest, they should have at least told you.

BTW, the property I sold has never flooded in the last 60 years but then it isn't Houston.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:32 PM

125 posts, read 198,377 times
The title company told you incorrectly.
The 100 year floodplain question is one I see on every disclosure statement in the state of Texas.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,131 times
i dont know if the difference, like you said, is between a house and land but i could not get financing for my home without proof of flood insurance coverage. that came up all the time and had to go back and forth between broker and insurer to make sure all of the paperwork was exchanged

Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Who should i call to find out if they have to disclosure this or not. I dont want to pay big bucks to consult with attorney unless I have to.

Last edited by xecluded; 09-05-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
The title company told you incorrectly.
The 100 year floodplain question is one I see on every disclosure statement in the state of Texas.
Possibly it had to do with me financing my own property that had no liens? Anyway, we did right.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xecluded View Post
Do seller or the closing title company has the legal responsibility to disclosure if the land that they sell / close is in the flood zone. I found out after the closing that the land that i bought to build my home is in the flood zone.

I am not sure if i am being cheated on this or not and need your advise. Thanks.

According to this link here: Show and Tell: The New "Natural Hazard Disclosure Statement" - the seller must give must give the prospective buyer a separate "Natural Hazard Disclosure Statement" if the residential property lies within one or more of six statutorily specified areas.

Does this apply for house only or also include land. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xecluded View Post
Who should i call to find out if they have to disclosure this or not. I dont want to pay big bucks to consult with attorney unless I have to.
That does not make sense. The lender would have required an insurance binder that covered required flood BEFORE the closing. If you paid cash, you would have still inquired about insurance.

FEMA changes the flood boundaries every damn year - never mind that they now include land that has never flooded before. The seller may not have known that the boundaries changed - it's the buyer's responsibility to check. Requirements are for house, not land.

Always check Harris County Flood Warning System - Harris County, Texas

Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 PM

The seller is the bank whom financed / borrowed the money to me for the land. they owned this land and several other lots. I talked to a real estate agent for Meritage Home Builder who is in charged of selling homes in this area and he said they are well awared that this area in the flood zone.

So the disclosure is a required for house only - land dont apply? If that is the case, then i will face a big loss.... what a bummer - so much for finding a lot to build dream home....

Last edited by xecluded; 09-05-2013 at 11:05 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
I would recommend doing the due diligence on your own as far as flood zones are concerned. County offices should have DFIRM maps that you can examine in order to tell if a property is in the flood zone or not.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,131 times
being in a flood zone isnt that bad of a deal. everywhere EVERYWHERE in houston can flood. the statistics break down that nearly as many homes in non-flood zones flood than homes in major flood zones. i live in a 60 yr old house, in a 100 yr flood zone, that has never flooded - not even close and on the SW side of town.

there are some places in houston that flood worse than others. some are in the NW side of town or along larger bayous. if that is your situation ask people around and they can tell you the flood history

if it is just a standard 100 yr plane not along a flood way it wouldnt stop me if it was the perfect land. does cost money though. since you would be building they will have to make a higher elevation for the slab which makes things better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston