Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM

19 posts, read 27,404 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
I've seen this so many times. We have quite the spread here since we are at 3,623 people per sq. mile.
It's weird because I'm in Santa Monica right now and it's 10,634 people per sq. mile. It feels like a huge city, way bigger than Houston, even though it doesn't have 100,000 people. Obviously not the best comparison, but for Houston I don't think there is a good one.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 12-22-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
That looks huge since it covers most of the US, but if you think about how much of the world would be covered, it's really not that much more than the others.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,599,545 times
So Houston, a sunbelt city that experienced the bulk of it's growth in the average baby-boomer's lifetime, is less dense than Paris, San Francisco, NYC, London, and Singapore? All old (some VERY old) cities that experienced the bulk of their growth before most people even owned automobiles?

SHOCKER!!!

And yes, comparing the density of Santa Monica to Houston is just silly... because the city of Houston covers 628 square miles, much of which is suburban and has a denser core of neighborhoods that are closer to 10,000 ppsm, but constitute only about 50-60 of those 628 square miles. Not to mention large areas of the city that aren't even developed at all.

By comparison, Santa Monica is a 100% developed urban area of only 8.4 square miles, which is completely landlocked by the city of Los Angeles. The Montrose neighborhood in Houston, which averages around 9,000 ppsm, is roughly the same size as the entire city of Santa Monica (area-wise).

There really are no good comparisons for Houston when it comes to the complexities of overall density. In Houston, it just depends on the neighborhood.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
The Montrose neighborhood in Houston, which averages around 9,000 ppsm, is roughly the same size as the entire city of Santa Monica (area-wise).
I've only been to Houston once, but that was one of the places that I hung out for a bit. Until your post I think that I kind of mistakenly assumed that was representative of a large part of Houston.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:46 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I think the reason for Houston spreading out so much is caused by politicians here constantly spending money to help new developers in areas outside of the city and don't spend any money to fix areas in the inner city.
This happens all over the US and soon or later is gonna come to bite us in the a... and the first sign of that is how much all of us rely on cars and how much money we spend on cars and gasoline.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I've only been to Houston once, but that was one of the places that I hung out for a bit. Until your post I think that I kind of mistakenly assumed that was representative of a large part of Houston.
It is fairly representative of the Western core of Houston (the areas inside I-610, West of I-45 and the 288 freeway), and perhaps a few Eastern-core areas like Eastwood and the South-central part of the city South of the 3rd ward and North of Braes Bayou, but most of Houston outside loop 610 is much more sunbelt-suburban (ie. single-family, post-war, ranch-style tract homes and large bi-level apartment complexes). The Montrose is a pretty unique neighborhood in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think the reason for Houston spreading out so much is caused by politicians here constantly spending money to help new developers in areas outside of the city and don't spend any money to fix areas in the inner city.
This happens all over the US and soon or later is gonna come to bite us in the a... and the first sign of that is how much all of us rely on cars and how much money we spend on cars and gasoline.
Agreed.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 PM

285 posts, read 568,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I've seen this so many times. We have quite the spread here since we are at 3,623 people per sq. mile.
It's weird because I'm in Santa Monica right now and it's 10,634 people per sq. mile. It feels like a huge city, way bigger than Houston, even though it doesn't have 100,000 people. Obviously not the best comparison, but for Houston I don't think there is a good one.
If Santa Monica feels like a "huge city" to you then you clearly haven't seen much of the world.

Nor does it feel "way bigger" than Houston. Even though it is definitely densely populated, it doesn't feel big.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
If Santa Monica feels like a "huge city" to you then you clearly haven't seen much of the world.

Nor does it feel "way bigger" than Houston. Even though it is definitely densely populated, it doesn't feel big.
It does feel like part of a big city, but that's because Santa Monica is essentially to L.A. what West University is to Houston - an incorporated city surrounded by a much larger city. In Santa Monica's case, surrounded by the 2nd largest city (and MSA) in America. And it also depends on where you are in Santa Monica (it's much more dense in it's Southern half. The part North of Montana Ave. is wealthier and has larger homes on larger lots, therefore less dense).

Of course it's going to feel "bigger" than Houston, because it's basically an extension of L.A.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 12-22-2013 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 12:53 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post

LOL! Wow, the expert on my life, Santa Monica, and the world lives in Bellaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
It does feel like part of a big city, but that's because Santa Monica is essentially to L.A. what West University is to Houston - an incorporated city surrounded by a much larger city. In Santa Monica's case, surrounded by the 2nd largest city (and MSA) in America. And it also depends on where you are in Santa Monica (it's much more dense in it's Southern half. The part North of Montana Ave. is wealthier and has larger homes on larger lots, therefore less dense).

Of course it's going to feel "bigger" than Houston, because it's basically an extension of L.A.
Exactly, Bob -- in terms of immediate feel. Santa Monica is sandwiched in between L.A. so you get the shadow of some of that density, too. I'm right on the stretch between North and South (downtown) and it feels a lot denser than most parts of Houston. The elevation/topography here also helps because you get the feeling that you are surrounded. SM has really done a good job of laying out their mixed-use development (Third Street Promenade/SM Place) in a way that's really conducive to exploration. I think it's how visitors get the feeling there is "nothing to do" in Houston when it's simply not the case. That's the thing with low density, you really have to know where you're going in Houston -- entertainment doesn't come to you.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 12-23-2013 at 01:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston