Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That is why majic needs some competition. It's good that there is an alternative to 97.9 because they had probably the worst playlist for a hip hop station in the country. Lake Charles has a better station. I think Rickey smiley is going to be on the beat, also from Dallas.
These is true any rap hiphop station that only plays stuff from the last 2 yrs has this problem to. If they let me build there playlist they would be a #1 station for the next 5 to 10 yrs I would only play stuff from 2002 and older
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I prefer the government take us back when national radio monopolies was not allowed and there was real competition in radio.
You might want to read the definition of competition - Competition - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If you don't want competition but you want the government to place restrictions on ownership of radio stations, that's a different issue.

As it stands now, it's market driven - competition.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I like it once the Tom Jonier show is over lol, I really wish we had the Steve Harvey morning show instead.
I can't imagine why on Earth people would want to start their morning with his big mouth.

I haven't listened to Tom Joyner in years, but I remember the days when it was hilariously funny. Rickey Smiley is hit or miss.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
These is true any rap hiphop station that only plays stuff from the last 2 yrs has this problem to. If they let me build there playlist they would be a #1 station for the next 5 to 10 yrs I would only play stuff from 2002 and older
It's not even that really. I listen to Sirius too and they mix in old songs with the new but the songs they play almost always have a good beat going. no censorship makes it easier too, but it should be easy to make a better playlist and I think stations edit their music anyway. If they could like take the playlists from shade 45 and hip hop nation, mixing in some songs from backspin, then 93.7 would be number one. If a new r&b station comes to Houston, all they hqve to do is copy the playlists from the groove on Sirius and they will be number one.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It's not even that really. I listen to Sirius too and they mix in old songs with the new but the songs they play almost always have a good beat going. no censorship makes it easier too, but it should be easy to make a better playlist and I think stations edit their music anyway. If they could like take the playlists from shade 45 and hip hop nation, mixing in some songs from backspin, then 93.7 would be number one. If a new r&b station comes to Houston, all they hqve to do is copy the playlists from the groove on Sirius and they will be number one.
Even XM is kind of poor nowadays, and I find myself changing the station as much as I do with local radio.

Only Houston's gospel stations have the most consistent quality, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Houston radio went to **** when 106.9 The Point (2000-2010) fell by the wayside. I loved their selection of 80's music.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Pretty much the same thing is happened back in my city of Waco. There only urban station is incorporating top 40s music into their playlist with artists like Katy Perry ,Miley Cyrus and more. Seriously, you can't call yourself a urban station if you playing that crap. When they first started off they was playing everything from new school to old school r&b and hip hop. All radio is going to hell.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
iTunes + iPhone connection to radio = good listening

Additionally, it does a better job of financially supporting the specific artists you choose.

It was different when you were basically forced to buy a whole album to get a song or two that you liked, but now with most songs costing $.99 to $1.25 I don't see why more people are purchasing the music they like and creating play lists on their phones. If you want new music, throw up a station on Pandora of a song you like so you can hear more in that style or do an internet search. Today, there is no reason why you must listen to traditional radio.

Plus, how long does it take to convert the CD you bought at some band's performance for $10 to add into your phone?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
iTunes + iPhone connection to radio = good listening

Additionally, it does a better job of financially supporting the specific artists you choose.

It was different when you were basically forced to buy a whole album to get a song or two that you liked, but now with most songs costing $.99 to $1.25 I don't see why more people are purchasing the music they like and creating play lists on their phones. If you want new music, throw up a station on Pandora of a song you like so you can hear more in that style or do an internet search. Today, there is no reason why you must listen to traditional radio.

Plus, how long does it take to convert the CD you bought at some band's performance for $10 to add into your phone?
+1

The only real appeal of radio nowadays is the talk shows, and only the local talk shows, at that.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I like it once the Tom Jonier show is over lol, I really wish we had the Steve Harvey morning show instead.
No you don't. Talk about the most boring show in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston