Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 08:42 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,873 times

Advertisements

Anyone recommend good fruit trees to plant in Houston.

Already have a peach tree, but results from it have been mixed.
Tangerine is doing really good. Definitely will consider other citrus trees.

Anything else that will do well in Texas heat and wet clay soil?

Also, what are good nurseries to get decent sized trees from? Houston Garden Center has some sorry looking "sticks".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 09:01 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,914,495 times
Fig, avocado, banana, kumquat, persimmon, citrus (lime, lemon, grapefruit, satsuma).

RCW Nursery at Beltway 8 & Hwy 249 specializes in trees.
https://rcwnurseries.com

Also Buchanan's Native Plants in the Heights.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:50 AM

455 posts, read 525,740 times
Subscribe to the Urban Harvest list to find out when they are doing their fruit tree sale. I think it might be coming up. I have a Meyer lemon and a Lisbon lemon in the ground. A cara cara orange in a whiskey barrel pot (Buchanan's sells them). The Meyer lemon was from Buchanans and the orange was from Enchanted Gardens. Purchase from a good nursery or from the Urban Harvest sale, not the sorry looking ones from those big places. John Panzarella is a citrus expert and sells trees as well, including the "fruit cocktail" trees which are pretty awesome: Panzarella Citrus

Also look up the care and maintenance guidelines from the Texas Ag extension, which also includes best practices on planting your tree. Yes, the clay soil doesn't help but following the instructions i mentioned does show how large of a hole to dig, etc, which gives your tree the ability to establish roots. Also note that the trees have to reach a certain maturity before they'll produce anything. I picked up 5 gallon trees, which cost more but are older so that i didn't have to wait as long before i got anything. I got maybe a few per tree the first year, but this past year, i got around 40+ lemons and maybe 8 or so oranges.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2021, 02:25 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Anyone recommend good fruit trees to plant in Houston.

Already have a peach tree, but results from it have been mixed.
Tangerine is doing really good. Definitely will consider other citrus trees.

Anything else that will do well in Texas heat and wet clay soil?

Also, what are good nurseries to get decent sized trees from? Houston Garden Center has some sorry looking "sticks".
As someone else mentioned figs do really well here. I put one in, forgot about it for a year, and was eating fresh figs for half the year. Citrus in general also do pretty well here.
Speaking as someone who could barely be bothered to water the grass.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:28 PM

636 posts, read 328,617 times
Nothing quite like a tree ripened lime. The kind of tree that gets big. Most limes are harvested green for stores, but most limes are not actually ripe until they turn a lemon yellow color. Yum Yum if you thought you liked limes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston