Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 PM

9 posts, read 15,967 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move from Lazybrook inside the loop to SOMEWHERE in memorial....we're trying to get the right information though. There are a couple of homes in Nottingham forest that are large, very close to terry Hershey park, and have the colonial look we love. However, they need a ton of work and are still priced pretty high. Are Nottingham elementary and spring forest middle expected to improve to justify the prices? We just want to make sure we're making the right decision. Have you guys seen a change in the neighborhood? Revitalization that will markedly improve the schools? From what hear from people, Nottingham is sort of always been "so so" or "inferior" as some have put it. Is that old news? we hope
Anyone who knows memorial well or lives in Nottingham and uses the public schools, please chime in! I'd love to get some unbiased information if at all possible. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM

363 posts, read 1,147,920 times
Nottingham, Nottingham Forest and Nottingham Forest 8 are all different neighborhoods with different HOA's and school zoning. You can also throw Nottingham West in there as well. It is kind of confusing but to get accurate info, you need correct neighborhood name. Three different elementary schools are linked to the neighborhoods you mentioned in the OP. Are you referring to Nottingham 8 past Dairy Ashford?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 PM

150 posts, read 218,837 times
I'd recommend touring the schools. The people who started NE in the last year or two are happy. The statistics don't yet reflect the 2 low income apts that have been torn down, or the one set to be demolished in 2015. There are only 3 kinder classes this year. That is awesome.

As for status, that will take much longer to turn around. You know a high percentage of the people in memorial grew up here and old habits die hard.

Btw I assume you are speaking of NF8 which is "inferior" to NF which is zoned to meadow wood.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:45 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,413,122 times
Nottingham Forest is great. Lots of friends live there happily, and they send their kids to meadow wood.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,142,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorialite View Post
I'd recommend touring the schools. The people who started NE in the last year or two are happy. The statistics don't yet reflect the 2 low income apts that have been torn down, or the one set to be demolished in 2015. There are only 3 kinder classes this year. That is awesome.

As for status, that will take much longer to turn around. You know a high percentage of the people in memorial grew up here and old habits die hard.

Btw I assume you are speaking of NF8 which is "inferior" to NF which is zoned to meadow wood.
Actually, 3 apartment buildings were torn down - is there a 4th set to go in 2015? Hopefully the one on Nottingham Oaks?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy in NF8 if priced out of NF. Unfortunately the elementary, Nottingham, wasn't included on the recent bond rebuilding but tour the school and see what you think. Spring Forest Middle is fine. The "inferior" part is due to the zoning change of Memorial Middle to Spring Forest west of Kirkwood, ie. much more money at Memorial, many more economically disadvantaged at Spring Forest, although that is changing rapidly. Each comes with it's own issues but the curriculum is the same and both feed into Stratford west of BW8.

BTW, I'd buy in Thornwood or Nottingham West before moving further out, you get used to the conveniences and amenities you get living here pretty quickly.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:24 AM

80 posts, read 138,998 times
Quote:

Wow! That is great that there are only 3 kinders.
Go tour the schools along with SFMS. Talk to people who kids actually go there.
I think you would be fine.

Which apts are going down?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:56 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,413,122 times
There are some wonderful teachers at Nottingham Elementary. I see nothing but good things coming for this school.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:00 PM

150 posts, read 218,837 times
I was told the apts next to the school have been sold with demo in 2015 to be replaced by wait, "another mini city centre."

Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,535,924 times
Quote:
I was told the apts next to the school have been sold with demo in 2015 to be replaced by wait, "another mini city centre."
Ha. Anyway, that area has been in need of a facelift for decades. So, yes I would say the area and values will improve.

Next on the list,Tully.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 PM

80 posts, read 138,998 times
Quote:
That sounds odd. Was the source reliable? Can't imagine a mini city center across from a
Big church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston