Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM

232 posts, read 463,313 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to The Woodlands next year and are torn between the Cove neighborhoods of Panther Creek and East Shore. The prices in East Shore seem to be going up and up despite the fact that many of the houses (excluding the mansions) don't even have yards and are very close together.

I like the Cove neighborhoods in Panther Creek (north of the Woodlands Parkway, east of East Panther Creek Drive, south of Lake Woodlands Drive) but my spouse likes East Shore. I just feel we can get a house with better architectural features in Panther Creek and more for our money. I realize the houses in Panther Creek that we'd be looking at would be about 20 years old but if they have a new roof and are in good shape we could change the cosmetic things (e.g. carpet, tiles, counter tops) and still pay $300,000 less than we would in East Shore yet we'd have a bigger home with a larger lot and privacy.

For those of you who have lived in those two areas or know of people who have, what are your thoughts? We are looking for something less than 3,500 square feet in a quiet neighborhood that we can live in for many years to come. We have no children at home and have a dog and want to be in the front of the Woodlands so the other areas don't work for us (so we're really torn between Panther Creek, East Shore and parts of Grogan's Mill although the latter is not our preference based on what we've seen).

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by cockermom; 11-19-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,891 times
I know this may not be much help but they are both very nice and I don't think that you would be making a bad decision either way.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks colcat! I think you're right. They are both really nice areas. I'm looking forward to moving there next year.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
East Shore has lots of variety, but the prices are getting crazy and they are building on every inch. Panther is a bit more off of the beaten-path, and is going to be a much quieter predictable choice. In either case, stay away from the noise of The Woodlands Pkwy.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
East Shore has lots of variety, but the prices are getting crazy and they are building on every inch. Panther is a bit more off of the beaten-path, and is going to be a much quieter predictable choice. In either case, stay away from the noise of The Woodlands Pkwy.
I have noticed how crazy the prices have gotten in East Shore and it's mind boggling considering many of the houses are so close together and have very little lot and no grass.

I prefer to be in a quieter area with some grass for our dog but of course with an older home in Panther Creek, a lot of updating will have to be done and an older home can come with issues.

It's a really tough decision. We want to be able to get to I-45 quickly so I'm also considering Grogan's Mill/Grogan's Point but the variety there is confusing (e.g. houses for $100,000 and mansions all in the same area).

It's a difficult decision and the prices are only going up which makes it harder.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM

342 posts, read 803,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom View Post
It's a really tough decision. We want to be able to get to I-45 quickly so I'm also considering Grogan's Mill/Grogan's Point but the variety there is confusing (e.g. houses for $100,000 and mansions all in the same area).

It's a difficult decision and the prices are only going up which makes it harder.
Grogan's Point may be flood prone unless they fixed it. The problem with GP is that it is sort of like Harper's Landing, annexed land outside The Woodlands. And driving on Sawdust Rd is no fun especially around Walmart/HEB/Walgreens area, too congested. You may take more time going to I-45 from there than living in Panther Creek. The houses in GP are prestigious and spacious though, mansion-types.

For quietness and peacefulness, Panther Creek, not the side of the McC and Glen Loch schools. Living in East Shore won't be quiet because you'll have kayakers, runners/walkers, events at the Lake and curious sightseers. And it is going to get a lot busier when they are building more office buildings around Lake Woodlands opposite side of North Shore Park. If you don't like trees covering the house, East Shore is for you because most of the houses doesn't have trees covering them unlike a majority of the houses in The Woodlands. Like some have said, any option to living in The Woodlands is good, except Harper's Landings (just look at the map- RR tracks).

Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanks so much for that info bloodwings19. I had no idea about Grogan's Point being prone to flooding. That's invaluable information. I never really thought about the events at the Lake in East Shore either -- another great point.

The more I learn, the more I'm leaning towards PC but houses where I'm looking (to the east of East Panther Creek Drive, south of Lake Woodlands Drive and north of the Woodlands Parkway) seem to be few and far between. If anyone knows of any inside information about that area (good or bad) please let me know. Thanks so much!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,045 times
Are you still wanting information or have you moved here already??

Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 AM

I'm still looking for information. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockersrus View Post
Are you still wanting information or have you moved here already??
Any information anyone can provide on the pros/cons of East Shore, Grogan's Mill and Panther Creek would be appreciated as we're renting while looking for a house to purchase. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston