Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouMomof2 View Post
Interesting, I was wondering if Presby (I will use that from now on! lol) was like the Fay school or ROBS. It's probably splitting hairs at that point though. I'm going to give them a shot and we'll see how it goes. I was really interested in AOS but missed the cut off date and didn't apply. We didn't get into Awty but it felt a little "too cold" to me anyway (in comparison to Presby, which seems really warm and nurturing). I'm sure Awty is a fantastic school, LOVE that they offer the IB degree. We could've just gone on an "off" day (well, 2 "off" days I guess).

We were waitlisted at ROBS. We applied to ROBS, Awty and Presby. Waitlisted then got in at Presby and actually liked it the best of the group (it was our #1 choice). I was just curious about the academics after hearing about their early childhood program. LOADS of play. BUT, I get it. Kinda. Let tots be tots.

I can't help myself. Tiger Mom is sorta my hero.

Thanks buckeroo, for your input.
Listen to Nana

My daughter teaches at a very high dollar pre school in Manhattan. The parents pay 12 grand for 6 hours a week for 8 months. It is play based.

Toddlers learn algebra concepts playing with blocks.

Toddlers can learn how to solve their problems in a group. They learn all about cooperation. They learn what is acceptable behavior in a civilized society. You may think they are just playing around. In a well managed program kids are learning all kinds of things.

All that tiger mom pressure will yield is a high anxiety kid who won't have anything to do with you when they are 25. Or one who is so dependent that they won't leave home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:01 PM

56 posts, read 112,431 times
Thumbs up Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Listen to Nana

My daughter teaches at a very high dollar pre school in Manhattan. The parents pay 12 grand for 6 hours a week for 8 months. It is play based.

Toddlers learn algebra concepts playing with blocks.

Toddlers can learn how to solve their problems in a group. They learn all about cooperation. They learn what is acceptable behavior in a civilized society. You may think they are just playing around. In a well managed program kids are learning all kinds of things.

All that tiger mom pressure will yield is a high anxiety kid who won't have anything to do with you when they are 25. Or one who is so dependent that they won't leave home.
I now agree with the above statement. It took me a while but I finally got there. I realize my "all about worksheets" mentality was a bit shortsighted.

I've been doing a ton of research on early education. Presbyterian was right on the money in regards to what they focus on. But you know, the good thing is that I've learned and can now look at the education of my kids in a different way. Yes, they still do some Kumon workbooks but they also do a lot of other activities (especially now that it's summer time) that focus more on having fun while learning.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 10,022 times
Thank you so much for your responses. I agree, I love PS and think it's a great all round environment, but I'm very afraid of not fitting in as a family there. We travel alot outside the country, have family of all different races and religions and are a very liberal muslim family. We aren't heavily into sports or texan culture, more into global awareness and issues. Any insight into the culture of the school? I appreciate it.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 PM

56 posts, read 112,431 times
ROE may be a better fit for your family. Not because you wouldn't be welcomed at Presby (I'm sure you would be) but more so because there is more likely to be more diversity (including religious diversity) at ROE. ROE has the IB program and being more interested in "global issues" I assume this would be of great interest to you and your family.

I'm similar in that I want to instill a sense of global awareness and responsibility to my kids. If I could get them into ROE I would in a heartbeat. A big part of that is due to their IB program. We're not in HISD so it's pretty much a 0% chance we could get in.

Just my opinion but ROE sounds like it may be a better fit. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:07 PM

Both are really tough spots to turn down!! ROE only goes to 5th grade where as PS goes till 8th grade. Diversity and the IB at ROE is fantastic but then at PS they have music education, the arts, technology etc. it's a great mix of a classical and modern education. But I agree HouMomof2, if I still have to supplement after paying 17k, I'd rather go the HISD route. They're trying to diversify at PS, and I really like that.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,630 times
A lot of ROE kids go on to Lanier or Pin Oak for Middle School or apply to private schools at that point. One of my daughter's best friends went to ROE, Lanier, and is now at Bellaire. Another friend went to ROE, Lanier, and is now at Kinkaid. Many of the private schools take in a fairly large number of kids at 6th grade. If you go to Presbyterian, you will have to make a choice at the end of 8th whether to apply to private high schools, try for Carnegie/Debakey/HSPVA/Bellaire/Lamar, or go to your zoned school.

My college roommate's kids went to Presbyterian all the way through. They both then excelled in academically challenging high schools. They are both musically talented, and sang in the choir at PS. PS has a fairly new offsite sports complex near 288 and Loop 610, and the school busses the kids over there after school for practices and games. What would you need to supplement if you are going to PS? There will be very few persons at PS that are not of the Christian faith, and religion is emphasized.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,630 times
I should add that my daughter's two good friends that went to ROE are Hispanic/Asian (religion unknown) and Black/Asian (Christian). All of the kids I know that have gone to PS are white and Protestant. I know PS is trying to increase its diversity so if you send your kids there, they will be great additions.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM

280 posts, read 383,725 times
Both my kids went to Presby. It is not 100% white and protestant. There are kids from almost all races and religions there. There are even those that do not attend church and would probably not consider themselves religious at all.

Lots of Presby families travel extensively and are aware of world issues. A lot of the parents are very successful in their fields and many travel internationally for their jobs. It will not be as diverse as ROE and never will be because of the price.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59corinthian View Post
Hi, can anyone comment on being a minority in Presbyterian School? Is there any global, multi cultural awareness at this school? My daughert got into Presbyterian aswell as Riveroaks elementary for 3rd grade, I'm not sure which school to go with. I want strong academics but also an internationally aware or leaning environment. Is Presbyterian a good choice?
We are a minority family at Presbyterian and absolutely love it. One of the reasons I fell in love with the school was that it was the perfect mix of a strong academic environment and a value on diversity. I didn't want to place my child in the position of feeling like the only one. Not only is she surrounded by differences but differences are valued. In the lower school (which includes elementary) you walk your child in the building. It ends up being a wonderful way to meet other parents. When I was making my tough decision another parent commented on how wonderful the other parents are. He was right. Finally I have several friends at ROBS and the reviews are quite mixed. I am simply thrilled and have nothing but good things to report.
Ultimately you have to find the best fit for your child. Most schools have a pretty good elementary program but middle school can be harder. We hope to stay at Presby until 8th grade and if they ever choose to have a high school we may never leave. I hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 PM

Thank you KatieKennedy, Maroon79 and mom2015. I'm very glad to hear this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: