Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM

26 posts, read 45,852 times

Advertisements

looking for a recommendation of a horse riding ranch / stables to go to with my family that is kid friendly and a nice place to do a trail for an hour or so.

We aren't living here long. We want to experience all things Texas while we are are Ideally we'd love to go to a place where we can dress up as cowboys and cowgirls and ride horses but is that possible ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,591,909 times
Horseback Riding at The Spread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,297,114 times
There are a few "dude" ranches in the Hill Country that offer the whole cowboy experience. I think one is in Bandera

Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 AM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
That picture is hilarious
This is what I get from that picture "Holy ...., are my kids ever gonna come back, that's gotta be the longer horseride in the World"

Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM

26 posts, read 45,852 times
Thanks everyone. Might check out the Spread and I've found Dixie Dude Ranch in Bandera which looks great which might book for a weekend

Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 AM

538 posts, read 1,363,637 times
I've never been, but have driven past it gobs of times. It's located in Humble, close to the airport.

Cypress Trails, Houston horse stables :: Horseback riding Houston Equine Stables, trail riding in Houston, Endurance riding, Houston Endurance riding, horses

Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM

127 posts, read 400,900 times
The place houstonbornnraised mentioned, I have been there before. It's worth checking out. I went there with 8 people a few time before and to me they are very family friendly. The horse and facility is nice (not backyard like). We did the beginner trail/horse ride and the trails are nice for first time experience. I haven't tried the more experience ride which I need to because the beginner ride is kind of slow for me. On the beginner ride you will mostly be going on horse walking pace. Also the place actually looks more like a ranch, has plenty of horse, and the horse seems to be well taken cared of.

I am not sure about the whole cowboy dressing part as I never seen anyone dress as a cowboy/girl while horseback riding. You most likely can dress up if you want, but they will make you wear a helmet though for protection/liability. Look at the picture on the link provided by bornNraised to see what the helmet looks like. They will provide you the helmet.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,061,040 times
I think there's an equestrian center right in Hermann Park.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,247,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I think there's an equestrian center right in Hermann Park.
Hermann Park Stables used to be there, roughly Almeda & Binz. Now it's the Amalfi apartments. That's where our daughter learned to ride.

HPS moved way south to 288, outside the tollway. Haven't been there in a while, but I think they're still in business.

AFAIK, there are no more horses/stables in HP.

But I think the OP was asking about a "dude ranch" type experience, and not just stables. There are hundreds of stables in the Houston area. If you want more info, go by the Great Southwest Equestrian Center this weekend. HDS (Houston Dressage Society) is having their huge Spring Show this weekend. It's also a qualifier for the ParaOlympics.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,936 times
Default Horseback Riding on trails for families.

There is a place just north of Houston that is just a bunch of women who have horses boarded at a small farm who take out families or others for rides of a couple hours on the Spring Creek Greenway trails. They can be found at Just Us Gals and you need to put that up on your browser bar to find them cause they are pretty new. They don't take kids under age 12 and take out riders at all levels, beginners to adventurous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston