Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 03:52 PM

11 posts, read 20,280 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data Houstonians,

My husband, 19 month old boy and I are looking to buy a home in Houston and believe me I have done my homework and exhausting research in every blog, forum and real state website (i.e. HAR) I could find but what I really would like to know is (not paying any attention to school zoning) with a mortgage total top of at least $1200 with no MUD's and HOA's where we could buy, that will be safe and have quite streets for us and specially my little boy to live and enjoy for at least the first 5 years before he starts school or better said, High School down the road.
We are trying to build up our savings for a better place later on and would like to save as much as possible since we moved last year and just getting the hang of this extra hidden taxes as well as high interest rates, etc, etc. My husband's job is off of Post Oak and 12th st and we are currently renting in Spring Branch area, Which we really like but is way out of our budget right now and also old constructions.

Please advise about areas if you are so kind and/or know any within the criteria, my husband is willing to travel 30-40 min ea way daily if the price fits our purpose.

Thank you all in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:15 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Neighborhoods with HOAs appreciate better. HOA's are a very good thing. I don't know why people have such a negative view of them. They protect the neighborhood from idiots. As for loans. I have a buddy at Wells Fargo. He says basically all banks will give you the same rate based on your credit, income, etc...

You also need to tell us your budget. I am guessing since Spring Branch is way out of your range you are talking 250Kish? I would say Katy or Sugar Land is your best bet. Sugar Land to the Galleria is the fastest.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Neighborhoods with HOAs appreciate better. HOA's are a very good thing. I don't know why people have such a negative view of them. They protect the neighborhood from idiots. As for loans. I have a buddy at Wells Fargo. He says basically all banks will give you the same rate based on your credit, income, etc...

You also need to tell us your budget. I am guessing since Spring Branch is way out of your range you are talking 250Kish? I would say Katy or Sugar Land is your best bet. Sugar Land to the Galleria is the fastest.
Yeah, in a city without zoning, HOAs are what keep the neighborhood residential.

If the OP's mortgage tops out at $1200, with everything (I am assuming insurance and taxes) - then budget is $140K-$150K.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
If that is the criteria, good luck. Homes close by are either too much or not in the best areas as you've found out. I know people talk bad about Hwy 290 traffic, but the closest you will probably find that is not in a bad part of town would be by me off Hwy 290 and Beltway 8. They will have a MUD and a HOA, but there are several good neighborhoods off West Rd. Winchester Country is one with homes in the $100K-$170K range that are in a well maintained area, because they have a good HOA and the MUD is not an expensive one (0.72 tax rate). I think Houston city water is more expensive than out by me and the City of Houston taxes are 0.64 . Even though the homes are about 15-30 yrs old, they are kept up pretty well. The schools are good ones in Cy-Fair and lots of shopping is close by. The commute will be probably 45 min in peak times, but it is something to at least consider. You will get the safe, quiet streets and nice neighborhood. Windfern Forest is another neighborhood to consider. There are other nice areas in that price range,(Copperfield) but they are further out.

Good luck!

Last edited by trbstang; 05-30-2014 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Is your budget about 150,000? How high can you go?

You can try to find a home in West Memorial in Katy. It has a good elementary, decent Jr. High, and good highschool. This is the only area you will find what you are looking for in your budget.

I don't think they are in a Mud district, but I may be wrong.

175,000 can get you a home in Nottingham Country occasionally.

If you up your budget to 200,000 you can find some in Cinco Ranch or Pine Mill ranch

Last edited by Meyerland; 05-30-2014 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,344 times
Cinco Ranch or Pine Mill Ranch you might be able to find a home for $200k but that's not going to include MUD or HOA. Our first home 10 years ago was $150k and with MUD, school, and property taxes and around 5% interest rate it came out to a around $1400 a month not including HOA. There are a few neighborhoods around the 1093 and 1464 area (West Oaks Village, Grand Mission, Lakemont, Mission Sierra, Twin Oaks, and also some close to 99) that will have homes from the $110-150k range that will fit your criteria. It's a growing area with plenty of amenities close by. There's actually a lot of cute little neighborhoods off 1464. That area is really changing and developing.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post

Oh don't get me wrong I don't dislike them, it is just for right now we would like to avoid them 'till we are more established and ready to deal with extras in our "not to go crazy" budget for this first 5 years and like for right now at least pay comfortably within 1,000-1,250 total monthly mortgage (including taxes, ins, etc.)

Thanks for info though.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Yeah, in a city without zoning, HOAs are what keep the neighborhood residential.

If the OP's mortgage tops out at $1200, with everything (I am assuming insurance and taxes) - then budget is $140K-$150K.
You've got it cheryjohns, we would like to keep it close at that but if worth it and no HOA and MUD then we would not mind topping $170k.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
If that is the criteria, good luck. Homes close by are either too much or not in the best areas as you've found out. I know people talk bad about Hwy 290 traffic, but the closest you will probably find that is not in a bad part of town would be by me off Hwy 290 and Beltway 8. They will have a MUD and a HOA, but there are several good neighborhoods off West Rd. Winchester Country is one with homes in the $100K-$170K range that are in a well maintained area, because they have a good HOA and the MUD is not an expensive one (0.72 tax rate). I think Houston city water is more expensive than out by me and the City of Houston taxes are 0.64 . Even though the homes are about 15-30 yrs old, they are kept up pretty well. The schools are good ones in Cy-Fair and lots of shopping is close by. The commute will be probably 45 min in peak times, but it is something to at least consider. You will get the safe, quiet streets and nice neighborhood. Windfern Forest is another neighborhood to consider. There are other nice areas in that price range,(Copperfield) but they are further out.

Good luck!

Thank you trbstang, I would definitely do that (look into those)
I don't know much about Houston or my Husband, but with this info we would more like it to get on the right track since our lease is up by November and Holidays closing in by then, we are definitely getting a head start now. Better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Is your budget about 150,000? How high can you go?

You can try to find a home in West Memorial in Katy. It has a good elementary, decent Jr. High, and good highschool. This is the only area you will find what you are looking for in your budget.

I don't think they are in a Mud district, but I may be wrong.

175,000 can get you a home in Nottingham Country occasionally.

If you up your budget to 200,000 you can find some in Cinco Ranch or Pine Mill ranch
Thanks so much for the info, unfortunately this area zip 77450 ranges from 394K-2M and nothing under West Memorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston