Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 26,603 times

Advertisements

If you are travelling on the 99 South frontage road, there is a ramp that leads to I-10 East. I have been taking that ramp as it doesn't state if it's tolled or not. The ramps BEFORE it clearly state that they are EZ Tag Only roads. The thing is that even though it doesn't state that, there are those cameras installed that flash every time you take the ramp. I am new to these toll roads here so any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 04:00 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,833 times
The ramp is tolled. If you stay on the access road on 99 and get to I-10 access road you will avoid the toll.

I think it's stupid honestly.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:23 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeee View Post
If you are travelling on the 99 South frontage road, there is a ramp that leads to I-10 East. I have been taking that ramp as it doesn't state if it's tolled or not. The ramps BEFORE it clearly state that they are EZ Tag Only roads. The thing is that even though it doesn't state that, there are those cameras installed that flash every time you take the ramp. I am new to these toll roads here so any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!
I am confused... so let me ask this way, when traveling on the 99 frontage road, are you south of I10 headed north, or are you traveling south, and are north of I10? Either way, the 99 connectors, and lanes between I10 and FM1093 are not tolled as they were build and paid for before the toll road authority came into the picture. Hope that helps.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 PM

676 posts, read 931,941 times
If you are passing under the cameras you are getting billed. If you have an EZ-Tag it will be charged, if not, you will be receiving a lovely letter in the mail eventually.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeee View Post

Many thanks!
This is a tad confusing, as you don't state YOUR direction of travel. However, I believe that is a tolled ramp. It has a sign that indicates you are entering a toll road. The weird part is, it's just a connector ramp, not a real toll road, so it appears they are charging a toll for your usage of a ramp. However (see my comment below), if they were built for that single purpose, then they can toll you for it.

I drive 99 regularly, and often look at that ramp as I drive past it. It's odd how it's doesn't connect to the toll road, yet charges a toll. It took me a while to figure out what it did do, and why it had the EZTag readers on the ramp. Then it hit me, they are charging for easy access to I-10.

And again, while it may not have a sign that says "Toll", it definitely has the "99" road badge indicating you are getting on 99. Even if you're really not. I'll have to look closer next time and see if it actually uses the word toll. There could be people who don't realize "99" means toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I am confused... so let me ask this way, when traveling on the 99 frontage road, are you south of I10 headed north, or are you traveling south, and are north of I10? Either way, the 99 connectors, and lanes between I10 and FM1093 are not tolled as they were build and paid for before the toll road authority came into the picture. Hope that helps.
Again, I *think* they were built just for the toll road, not pre-existing. So they can charge a toll. One can always stay on the feeder, turn on the frontage road, and eventually get on I-10. Or pay a toll and save five minutes.

Decision, decisions...

Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM

The ramp coming south on 99 that connects to 10 east has tolling cameras on it and a sign just before it stating that all entering vehicles must pay a toll.

It charges as convenience to avoid the stop lights on the access road.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Which side of Houston? I-10 crosses 99 in two places. Near Katy and there is a small stretch of 99 near Baytown.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:34 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,083 times
Having not seen this particular ramp, I know that many times during the construction of the Beltway that the toll ramps were built prior to the connecting main lanes. You could still access the ramps from the frontage road, but they were primarily built for future main lanes. Is that perhaps the case here?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Which side of Houston? I-10 crosses 99 in two places. Near Katy and there is a small stretch of 99 near Baytown.
I assumed that it was the one in Katy, but since you said that, good question.

If it is the ramp on the east side of town, then I don't know.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:15 AM

126 posts, read 233,198 times
As you head north on the grand parkway, approaching i-10, your last free exit is the I-10 frontage road. If you continue north towards 290 that is all tolled. With that said, the big fly-over bridges / ramps that connect I-10 and Grand Parkwway ARE NOT TOLLED. Using those big bridges will not cost you money. Now, lets say you are heading west on i-10 and want to go north on 290 towards Cypress, once you get on grand parkway northbound you will start incurring tolls.

Maybe the original poster is referencing something different. It sounds like the part referenced is if you are riding the feeder road southbound north of I-10 where the main lanes are tolled and you want to jump on the ramp - I could see where that would be tolled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston