Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM

118 posts, read 254,410 times

Advertisements

What are the popular summer camps for kids to attend? Just planning ahead for the next couple of years.
Is Camp Mystic still good? Camp Longhorn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM

967 posts, read 2,611,653 times
Are you talking summer overnight camps?

Our kids enjoy Lutherhill immensely (Lutherhill Ministries - La Grange, TX) in LaGrange. It's about $350/wk.

A lot of folks enjoy Pine Cove (Columbus or Tyler) but its over $1000/wk. While a lot of people like it, children not of an "evangelical" type of Christianity (i.e. Baptist, non denominational, etc...) sometimes feel uncomfortable. I know of 2 families whose children felt uncomfortable with the religious vibe of Pine Cove. But many, many families who's church lean that way really, really enjoy it. Its just crazy pricy! (in my wallet's opinion!)

And if you have girls, we have 3 Girl Scout camps in the area that are great! They are in the $350-$400 range. If you don't do scouts, $15 is all it takes to be a member. (Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council, Houston, Texas) Camp Agnes Arnold and Misty Meadows are both in Conroe. Misty Meadows is heavily horses. Camp Casa Mare is in Seabrook on Galveston Bay and offers sailing.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,700 times
We do Camp Longhorn Inks Lake. Long history and tradition (75 years this summer = experienced family-run outfit), two or three week options. You don't choose your activities at CLH and comparing it with other camps our friends' kids attend I would say it is more physically strenuous. Screened cabins are rustic without A/C, but they are on the lake shore and quite comfortable inside thanks to the lake breeze. Huge emphasis on water activities and boating there. You are smart to be thinking ahead - applications for CLH begin in the previous summer and interviews are required for admission (they take place at CLH carnivals all over the country, check the schedule.) Be aware that there is often a wait list to get a spot.

Our friends go to and for different reasons recommend Rio Vista, Camp Olympia, and the relative upstart Camp Lonehollow in TX. Since you mentioned Camp Mystic I will presume you have girls... Sierra Vista is the sister camp for Rio Vista and Camp Waldemar is another popular girls camp in TX.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:02 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,698,192 times
I went to Camp Olympia has a kid. It was so lame. Shoot a bow, row a canoe, jump on the blob. The blob was pretty much the only fun thing there. I later did Meyers Mountain Men for a few years. I camped all the way to Alaska, and did the Yellowstone trip twice. It is memories you will never forget.

Fort Smith Mountain Men :: Boys Summer Camps : Outdoor Adventures!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
The normal suspects of Longhorn, Mystic, La Juanta, Camp Ozark.

Outside the box: Falling Creek for Boys and Greystone for Girls. In the NC mountain and very rustic, and they run their wheels off dawn to dusk.We switched to these camps when the "long camps" in Tx weren't so much fun for the tweens in 100 degrees. Mine even went all way through the years and did CIT there.

Falling Creek is really amazing, and has a big following from Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston