Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 PM

35 posts, read 69,301 times

Advertisements

I was doing some reading on the proposed 2014 bond package for Katy ISD when I came across some information that I hadn't previously known - the school district purchased the land next to the existing stadium (where they want to build the new one) just 3 years ago!

Fact or Fiction

Probably my own fault for not knowing but I had been under the impression, even during last year's big stadium referendum, that the district had owned that land for years and that's why it made the most financial sense to build right next to the existing stadium. Looks to me like they purchased that land with the intention of putting the stadium there all along.

So this leads me to google this topic further, and I discover that originally the district owned land next to Tompkins High School which was going to be the site of the stadium. Then that land was sold and the plots adjacent to the existing stadium were picked up in 2011.

This had left a VERY sour taste in my mouth regarding this stadium proposal. It didn't make sense to me to have it up in North Katy anyway, since it was only needed in order to accommodate all of the new schools on the south side of the district. But I gave them the benefit of the doubt that there were good financial drivers for the plan. Now I seriously doubt I will support the bond this year (which is unfortunate since the new schools are needed), but the district appears to want to shove this awful stadium location down our throats and apparently didn't get the message last year.

Folks, am I missing something here? How do you feel about this "new" stadium proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 02:16 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,668 times
I am perfectly fine with it.

Land in north Katy is cheaper. You want them to sell the land they already own to buy new land in south Katy that will cost a lot more just so there can be a stadium in south Katy? It is unfortunate that you will not be supporting this bond over the location of the stadium. Never mind all the new schools that will be built or upgraded.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:23 PM

967 posts, read 2,611,159 times
We've been building in Southside, but now the new growth is going to be to the north. This leaves the current location in a centralized point in the district. Growth won't always be about the south side.

I personally do not have strong feelings over where the stadium should be. I know that matters to some people, but I have no strong feelings one way or another.

But I do feel we need a 2nd stadium. We are slated to build HS #8 on the north side soon. That is too many schools to juggle 1 stadium IMO. And I feel we need the schools, both new schools and improvements to old.

I voted against the last bond because it was all stadium. This time the stadium only holds 7% of the bond. This bond is more inclusive of all needs, and I will be voting yes. The idea that the stadium (which is only 7%) could have been built elsewhere is not compelling enough for me to vote against the bond.

I know for others the stadium is very important. For me, I'm interested in the other 93%

Old 09-20-2014, 02:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
^^Exactly. In fact, the southern portions of Katy ISD are close to build out and now you have communities like Cross Creek Ranch that will be split between two different school district. If anything, putting it near Tompkins would put it out of the way for most of the district in ten years. Next to Rhodes, and in the actual City of Katy is a much, much better idea. Have it centrally located and pump tax dollars into the city.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:21 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,775,396 times
Pass it and build it already.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Although I served on this committee, I'm still on the fence. I agree with every thing Descovy posted, but something still just don't seem right with it.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:44 PM

430 posts, read 1,257,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Although I served on this committee, I'm still on the fence. I agree with every thing Descovy posted, but something still just don't seem right with it.
Well, this certainly piqued my interest... any chance you can elaborate a bit, usc619?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,220,586 times
only one school draws for a stadium with that price tag

Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 AM

63 posts, read 133,992 times
Visit KATY ISD 2014 BOND | HOME to get more information.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
In my book...
"Huge H.S. football stadium" = Scam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston