Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:49 PM

483 posts, read 655,659 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, me and husband are buying a house soon and I've noticed something that I'm curious about. We don't have kids yet(and won't for several more years) but I've been paying attention to the schools, at least in terms of diversity.

How come a house can cost 350k plus and be in a nicer inner loop area(Rice Military, the outer Heights etc...) but yet the school is 88% or even 90% Hispanic. Please don't get me wrong, I'm all for diversity but that's not diverse, for anyone. Are there a lot of multi family homes? Apartments? What causes them to be so heavily Hispanic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,717 times
DINKs typically buy those townhomes. Houston inner loop neighborhoods can be a crazy quilt of income diversity, so surrounding half million dollar townhomes, you will have apartments and dilapidated homes on $300k lots.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 PM

What's a DINK?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,021 times
The lack of diversity in Houston public schools is primarily due to upper income white self-segregation. But also consider that true diversity in those schools would not equate to a majority white school. The city itself is not majority white.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,976 times
People in that area who own the expensive homes usually don't have kids, and if they do, once they get to school age, they usually move to the burbs for better school, more neighborhood kids, bigger backyards, or go private school. So the kids that are left are the ones that are the oringal demographics before the neihgborhoods gentrified.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:26 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,976 times
DINK is double income no kids

Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 PM

I'm not necessarily looking for a predominantly white school, we plan on adopting a child, possibly from another country, so their race will be different from ours anyway. But I would like to see them in diverse school, and I worry with 88-90% Hispanic, that the language barrier among the students and our child's potential friends would be an issue.

Although, with our timeline for kids needing schools being around 8-10 years anyway, we can always just move to burbs like others do. I was mostly just curious as to what caused it.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:45 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,272 times
You are right. Reagan HS zone has been a large Hispanic area for decades. But as houses have been snatched up by yuppies and empty-nesters, we should be seeing this trend change. But it has barely changed in the last 5 years. Perhaps we need to wait another decade to see this reflected on their school profile.

Still, my neighborhood home owners is about 10% Hispanic but the neighborhood elementary school is 59% Hispanic and 73% on free/reduced lunch. So, it must be the run down apartments on main streets that bring down the entire schools. This is a frustrating process that many homeowners try to figure out.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:49 AM

254 posts, read 464,807 times
A little off topic because I believe the question has been answered, but as a parent I tend to take a few factors into consideration for my son's schooling:

1. Test scores. Yeah, it's not right, but you gotta do it...
2. Reverse engineer the school track. Which high schools send kids to better colleges? Which middle schools feed into them? Which elementary schools feed into the middle schools?
3. Parent involvement. Big PTA? Good deal!

Keep in mind that the inner loop is zoned to HISD. You have a choice to send your kids to excellent magnet schools or the neighborhood schools. I have friends who drive all over town because their kids are in Vanguard schools. I plan on doing the same thing.

The price you pay to live in the hub I guess...

Old 11-18-2014, 09:16 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,056,310 times
Vanguards/Magnets are a big part of why some neighborhood schools don't reflect the neighborhood. These can be great options and are a wonderful plus to HISD, but the downside is that the neighborhood school can become the Island of Misfit Toys-- the place for the kids whose parents don't have the wherewithal to work the magnet system, or kids who don't have the academic or conduct grades to cut it in the magnet system. A magnet or vanguard program can maintain high standards and "exit" the kids who don't cut it (I just heard this term used at a magnet middle school). Where do the "exited" kids go? Back to their neighborhood school. The neighborhoods surely suffer for being the school of last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: