Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 PM

24 posts, read 51,788 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're moving to Houston from NYC with a toddler. Husband will be working at Rice. We'd like to live close to his work. The culture shock will be huge for us--we're used to walking everywhere. We've been told Montrose and Houston Heights are good areas for us. Probably looking to rent at around $1,000 a month for the first year until we can figure the city out. We're also interested in finding good preschools. Child currently attends a Reggio inspired program, but I can't seem to find any of those in the Houston area. Any suggestions for where to live? Primarily interested in a walkable city feel (if possible), good commuting distance, kid-friendly w/non-full time preschools nearby. (We'd like 3 days a week for a 3 year old.) We know we may not be able to get all that and might just be trying to duplicate what we have here (with lower rent!)...but any and all thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:57 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Montrose, Midtown, maybe even Downtown. Getting to Rice on the light rail or bus is doable. The Heights too, but it's a little further from Rice. There are options in the $1K/mo. range, more if you can add a little more to that. You're not going to do much better than that. That said, walking/taking public transit is doable here with a little dedication. You make some tradeoffs, but you do the same living in NYC without a car too.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,051,124 times
We have friends who work at Rice and found everything you're looking for by buying a townhouse in Rice Village. They bike to Rice, and brought their son to Rice's daycare by bicycle, too. I have no idea how rents are in that area, you'd have to check on HAR.com.

Rice's daycare is a lovely Montessori preschool, but it's also the priciest daycare in town (they seem to think they pay their faculty more than they actually do). There are several daycare/preschools in Rice village, including Southhampton Montessori, and First Christian school, which I know has a 3-day option. Plenty of shopping in Rice Village, though you probably need to drive to grocery shop. You'd probably drive anyway to grocery shop, though.

I think for a year of renting, the Rice Village area would be perfect, because it's centrally located; if you put your son in school there, then decide to buy somewhere else (like the Heights), he'll still be in school near your husband's work, so you won't have to go out of your way.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM

24 posts, read 51,788 times
Wow, this list moves fast. Thank you both. Would love to hear from others. Already looked into Rice's preschool and I agree. It looks good, but they only do 5 days a week and we just don't need that. Good to hear about the other options.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 PM

241 posts, read 585,629 times
Welcome to Houston! I am a Rice graduate and it is a wonderful school. I also lived in NYC for six years and am very glad to be back in Houston. I hope you enjoy your move.

I have no kids so can't comment on preschools, but the advice you've been given is good. Try to stay in the Rice Village area, Montrose, The Heights, or West U. Your rent may not be quite as low as you'd like, but those are all good areas very close to Rice.

I'm sure it will be a bit of a culture shock but if you give Houston a chance it has so many wonderful aspects: great people, world class amenities, low cost of living. Best wishes in your search.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I think for a year of renting, the Rice Village area would be perfect, because it's centrally located;
Agreed; stick to the Rice Village area. The Rice/WestU/Museum area is -- hands down -- the best place to be in Houston. If you make this area your home you'll have as positive impression of H-Town as reasonably possible.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 5,513 times
Hi- I'm wondering what preschool you ended up giving your child? Montessori is quite the opposite of Reggio.. We recently moved from L. A. And am searching quite desperately.. Thanks

Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
$1k a month won't get you much in the heart of the city.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 AM

86 posts, read 116,687 times
I came here from NYC also, but you'd be shock to see the rent here isnt too different compared to NY. I was in Queens paying $1600 for a 2bedroom. The first lease i have here on voss and woodway is exactly the same as i was paying in NY, of cos, with more amenities (pool, bigger place, complex gym, etc). $1K/month will be tough for anything inside the loop right now, unless you're renting a studio or a 1bedroom.
If you can rent something for that price, please let me know too! Thanks.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,811 times
Why is that stereotype always around? that we have low lower lowest rents in South ? If the OP really likes walking, they can do it here too. Please visit RIDEMETRO.ORG, it covers most of the city . You can even go from Downtown to Clearlake.( all with some amount of walking though) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: