Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 AM

23,985 posts, read 15,086,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Fact is if any city doesn't offer those "tax incentives" another city will, and guess which city will get those developments and the employment they will offer.
Those tax incentives should be outlawed. It was fun living in a small county made up of very small towns. We got to watch Ocean Spray play every city council on the freeway for tax abatement. They finally ended up getting some town to say yes. They got 10 years of tax abatement on a big bottling plant for 8 minimum jobs. Then the city had to put in the roads, etc. for the plant.

So much for free enterprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Notice ipuck disappeared after I mentioned how the free market doesn't really exist, it's all about choosing what you want the government to fund, not about if it does fund something...

Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Government is the one that brings corruption to real estate development?
Next thing you are gonna tell us that developers don't pay bribes to get the best roads running next to their land.
If you are talking about specific bribes, the politicians must accept them in order for the corruption to occur.

If you are talking about figurative bribes, as in a business will get to build as long as they pay for the new road, it's still the government and politicians that have the final say.

If a man has an affair, who do you feel bears the primary responsibility, the married man who has the affair or the woman in the bar who tempts him?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Notice ipuck disappeared after I mentioned how the free market doesn't really exist, it's all about choosing what you want the government to fund, not about if it does fund something...
I made my point and now you are putting words in my mouth. I never said zero government involvement. I said the existing controls in place is sufficient. Is only some of you throwing liberation crap and twist my position to zero involvement.

I give you another example. That Ashby high-rise. So for the benefit of a few residents, the tower was delay for 7 years. Is this what we want Houston to become?

How many projects will still be around when approval takes 7 years?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you are talking about specific bribes, the politicians must accept them in order for the corruption to occur.

If you are talking about figurative bribes, as in a business will get to build as long as they pay for the new road, it's still the government and politicians that have the final say.

If a man has an affair, who do you feel bears the primary responsibility, the married man who has the affair or the woman in the bar who tempts him?

This analogy only works if the cheating man would lose his job if he turned town the temptress.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
This analogy only works if the cheating man would lose his job if he turned town the temptress.
No.

The question is who is to primarily to blame, the cheating husband or the temptress?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
I give you another example. That Ashby high-rise. So for the benefit of a few residents, the tower was delay for 7 years. Is this what we want Houston to become?

How many projects will still be around when approval takes 7 years?
I think the point if I'm not mistaken of the anti Ashby crowd was to stop the development. So I would expect a delay. And wow, 7 years? They must've really held on.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM

23,985 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Part of the reason to be anti Ashby was traffic.

Just like when the Galleria was built. Nobody gave a thought to the amount of traffic that would be generated from such a project.

IMO, everybody knows developers are going to develop. They should also have the responsibility to make provisions for the traffic and every thing else their project puts on taxpayers and the community.

The sh-- literally hit the fan when a Texas AG told the CoH to stop all development until they had the sanitary sewer capacity to handle it. The city had to stop dumping raw sewage into Galveston Bay. That lasted a coupe of years until a new sewage treatment plant went online.

The husband. There will always be some kind of temptress.

DH instructed the guys who did the selling at his place to just not talk to folks who wanted "extras". He always said they didn't need that particular business that badly.

If a city paper pusher expects and asks for a reward from somebody getting the work he bids out, ya just don't do it. We have several friends who said no when asks for money in return for getting work from the CoH. The work amounted to +/- 5000 a month and the city employee asked for 1000 dollars a month while the work was in place.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
DH instructed the guys who did the selling at his place to just not talk to folks who wanted "extras". He always said they didn't need that particular business that badly.

If a city paper pusher expects and asks for a reward from somebody getting the work he bids out, ya just don't do it. We have several friends who said no when asks for money in return for getting work from the CoH. The work amounted to +/- 5000 a month and the city employee asked for 1000 dollars a month while the work was in place.
When I was in the East Coast, I had some developer friends in the big cities where zoning rules and various planning commission is in place. Every step of the way involves money. You got the union labor to pay, the architectural firm that is in to get it approved, the politician to handle the neighborhood, the 1 or 2 neighborhood spokesperson, etc. Everybody PAY to play.

The big firms payout through Consultants and various non-public organization the politician is in to make it clean, the little ones just paid under the table.

It does nothing in the end but add more layers to the process and allow a few fat cats to make a killing.

Think of it as MUD here but 10x more corrupt.

Last edited by ipuck; 12-17-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,249 times
To everyone on this thread:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston