Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I HOPE that's a problem with the meter. Fresh squeezed orange juice should be about a 5.5, not tap water.

I read OJ was 5.0, but what's the difference?

Reason I bought it was because I tried to start some tomato seeds with regular soil and tap water, and the leaves grew mutated, then growth stunted completely, then it died. Bought the meter. Tried again with filtered water, seedlings grew w/o a hitch. My grass really doesn't respond too well with waterings, either.

Over the past years, you've read about these crazy cats in Clear Lake. People have said jokingly there is something in the water. I'm not so sure if it's a joke anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I read OJ was 5.0, but what's the difference?

Reason I bought it was because I tried to start some tomato seeds with regular soil and tap water, and the leaves grew mutated, then growth stunted completely, then it died. Bought the meter. Tried again with filtered water, seedlings grew w/o a hitch. My grass really doesn't respond too well with waterings, either.

Over the past years, you've read about these crazy cats in Clear Lake. People have said jokingly there is something in the water. I'm not so sure if it's a joke anymore.
Lawn watering was exactly what I had in mind. Also, copper doesn't deal with acids very well. Granted, 5.5 is very dilute but I wonder how much of an effect that could have over the long run. Probably not very much, I haven't heard much about pipe degradation in and around Houston.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
Supermac34,
I hate to break it to you buddy but fluoride is toxic and has adverse side effects. Do some research. Educate yourself. Dental health the world over is better, even in places that do not fluoridate their water. It is due to better dental hygiene, not fluoride. Check out the fluoride conspiracy on YouTube. While I cannot say whether or not everything that is said is absolute truth, it is certainly something to think about.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
When I drink it, I become a werewolf that glows in the dark.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
I'm not afraid to drink tap water in Houston.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
of course now they have added radiation to our water .... but most of us have been drinking it all of our lives .... perhaps why we are the 7th smartest city and the 4th dumbest city simultaneously in the country.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Yikes!

I-Team: Draft of federal report finds radiation widespread in Houston water | khou.com | Khou.com - News, Houston news, Texas News, Headlines

Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,022 times
@Supermac34

Lets not be deceived by the false information feed to you. I attend Rice University and I have asked one of my professors, who is a chemical engineer, about fluoride and its composition. I didn't want to approach him and ask if its a toxin, because it would only lead to him to telling me what I wanted to hear. So I asked the question as if I was asking to "learn" something new. In response, the first few word that came out of his mouth was that it's a toxin. He explained its inorganic structure, its hazard in our public drinking water, how its a left over product of steel plants, and its many side effects such as cancer. My professor is in his late seventies and used to work all around the world constructing refineries for over 40 years. Also the same person who approved of tainting our gasoline with lead in the 50s is also responsible for approving that fluoride is good for "cavities". What credentials can you give this man for stating that fluoride is good for us?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Its like hydrofluoric acid, but better for your teeth.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 AM

66 posts, read 117,811 times
let's just use some common sense here. If fluoride was good for your teeth, why put it in water? When you drink water, do you rinse your mouth with it too? rarely...and tooth enamel don't require a blood supply, so when it gets into the circulatory system, all that fluoride goes throughout the body, esp the brain, but not tooth enamel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston