Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:44 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times

Advertisements

I'd love the thought of being able to drive as fast as I want on the Houston freeways, but I'm terrified of the thought of everyone being able to do so. Having driven extensively on the autobahn, I agree that it's not that differently-designed than most US freeways. But German drivers (northern-European drivers in general) are far more courteous and skilled than American drivers, and are legally required to maintain their vehicles to a much higher standard than we are. A whole different mindset is required for the autobahn to work - that of driving as privilege, not a right.

More to the point of the original topic - Waze is the best ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhn View Post
Its about time the cops cracked down on these people.

Someone is going to get killed with the way people drive on that stretch of BW8. As it is now, you HAVE to go 85 mph (mind you it is a 65mph zone) or else you will get rear ended, tailgated, honked at, or all of the above. To make matters worse, it is such an open road that most people on that stretch seem to feel comfortable with texting and chatting on the cell phone while driving. I know this from experience, as this is part of my daily commute and was recently rear ended by a truck on that stretch and almost pushed into the barrier and spun out as a result.

I was going 75 mph in one of the center lanes when I was rear ended. The driver of the truck was going at least 90 mph and was texting. This happens on almost a weekly basis and was unfortunately the one time I had no place to go to get out of the way.

yea well its to bad the slow drivers still feel entitled to drive in the far left lane even though there is now 4 lane across on the south belt. Get them over in the right lane and I will let you gripe about speeders. The people doing 65 in the far left lane cause as much road rage as anyone else.

And what is up with all the slow 18 wheelers driving in the second to the left lane? move over to the right hand lanes.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I'd love the thought of being able to drive as fast as I want on the Houston freeways, but I'm terrified of the thought of everyone being able to do so.

Why so? It's not like I'm going to take either of my F150s out and do 120 with them. Mainly because the speed limiter won't let that happen and most folks tend to drive what they are comfortable with on the roads if given no restraint in that regard.

I set the cruise to 70 on that stretch of the BW8 and I've never been troubled. If I get to it, I have to run from Baytown to Greenspoint later. No big deal.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhn View Post
Its about time the cops cracked down on these people.

Someone is going to get killed with the way people drive on that stretch of BW8. As it is now, you HAVE to go 85 mph (mind you it is a 65mph zone) or else you will get rear ended, tailgated, honked at, or all of the above. To make matters worse, it is such an open road that most people on that stretch seem to feel comfortable with texting and chatting on the cell phone while driving. I know this from experience, as this is part of my daily commute and was recently rear ended by a truck on that stretch and almost pushed into the barrier and spun out as a result.

I was going 75 mph in one of the center lanes when I was rear ended. The driver of the truck was going at least 90 mph and was texting. This happens on almost a weekly basis and was unfortunately the one time I had no place to go to get out of the way.
I drive it every morning and every evening, and it's actually one of the freeways I've observed very few wrecks. I'm usually going 85 on it.

I use a bluetooth hands free kit that will read my texts, transcribe my texts and voice-dial my phone. I don't have to touch it or even look at it while driving. IMHO, using my phone is no different than talking to a passenger.

I hear the beep of a text message:

Me, "Hey Siri.... "

Phone, "What can I do for you?"

Me, "Read text."

Phone, "Message from your wife. Why aren't you home yet?"

Phone, "Would you like to reply?"

Me, "Yes?"

Phone, "Ok, what would you like to say?"

Me, "I'm not home because everyone is doing 65 afraid of getting a ticket."

Old 05-13-2015, 03:21 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Have you ever left the United States and have gone to Germany? The Autobahn is similar to Beltway 8 and has no speed limit yet are far fewer car accidents than there are on U.S. highways.

Autobahn Vs. American Highways: High Speeds Equal Fewer Accidents? | Imagine Lifestyles Luxury Blog

People in the U.S. simply need to learn how to drive.

Also, HPD isn't cracking down on anything, they're is simply looking for more revenue.
Way off topic, but its getting old to read about the autobahn, and speed limits (or no speed limits) in Germany, and people comparing driving there with driving in the US.
So lets clear few things, because there is no way to reasonably compare those two countries.
First of all, German autobahns have no federally mandated speed limit for some classes of vehicles. However limits are posted (and enforced) in areas that are urbanized, substandard, accident-prone, or under construction. Actually more than 50% of them have posted speed limits.

In case of bad weather, speed limits come into play and are frequently enforced. On speed-unrestricted stretches, there is an advisory ~84mph posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
While much of the Autobahn may not have a top speed limit, there are plenty of other rules - - and the highways are designed accordingly. The problem around here is that people want to make their own rules, including the determination of safe speeds.
I agree, there are many rules, and people get driving permit after extensive training, and tough tests. German drivers have to take classes in city traffic, on country roads, on autobahns and at night before being let loose on the roads. And driving in snow and ice are part of the "de facto" training where "black ice" makes winter roads treacherous.
There is no learning how to drive on the Walmart parking lot, and passing an exam on a quiet neighborhood street, and paraller parking. Fourteen US states offer restricted licenses to 14-year-old!
There is no hands on phone use, texting, eating, shaving, or other activities while driving.
You just cannot compare their safety awareness, driving skills, and discipline. That's why there are far fewer car accidents than there are on U.S. highways.
BTW: All over Europe authorities are using high tech equipment to catch more violators than ever before. Most tickets are now issued electronically and sent by mail. Sophisticated cameras can now catch drivers speeding, talking on a cell phone, not wearing a seat belt, driving in restricted zones, or even following too closely. There is no arguing with the cops.
However, when someone decide to break the law, and speed, or drive drunk, or drive red light etc. they just acknowledge their wrongdoing and pay the ticket. No one would ever think to argue, get a lawyer, go to court and waste their time.

The car inspection is extensive too, to make sure that they are safe and fit to be in the traffic, and on autobahn. The laws are very strict , and there is no way they will give permit to car "fixed" with duct tape, or having worn brakes or tires. German tires have nylon caps. You don't see pieces of tires on the roads.
So those "fast drivers" not only drive safe cars, but also have a better training how to handle the cars and the traffic. Drivers KNOW and OBEY the rules and take their rules very seriously.
They don’t cruise in the left lane, they keep both hands on the wheel and act predictably. You KNOW what the guy behind you is up to, and you know what the guy ahead of you is up to. That’s never the case in the US.

I’ve driven a lot in Germany. An average American wouldn’t stand a chance over there. It's really silly to even make any comparison.

Last edited by elnina; 05-13-2015 at 06:26 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 03:47 PM

219 posts, read 299,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
A little off topic, but why isn't texting while driving outlawed in Houston like it is in other parts of the US?

Our Mayor's only agenda is gay rights. She could care less about anything else.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM

219 posts, read 299,816 times
[quote=UAE50;39599743]Have you ever left the United States and have gone to Germany? The Autobahn is similar to Beltway 8 and has no speed limit yet are far fewer car accidents than there are on U.S. highways.

Autobahn Vs. American Highways: High Speeds Equal Fewer Accidents? | Imagine Lifestyles Luxury Blog

That because slower traffic stays to the right and they don't move. In Houston, all lanes are a free for all and nobody can stay in their own lane for more than 30 seconds.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:18 PM

739 posts, read 2,136,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
A little off topic, but why isn't texting while driving outlawed in Houston like it is in other parts of the US?
No.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
People here can't drive worth a damn and yet they are on the phone talking while backing out of a parking space or texting on the left lane or at the green light.

I will admit I caught myself talking on the phone as I was backing out today. No ones perfect, but I caught myself doing it. I hate being on the phone while I drive..

I will better discipline myself, I wish everyone in Houston would do the same.

I come to a conclusion that, it's impossible to have a pleasant relaxing drive in this city.
Some idiot will always jump out in front of you. No matter what lane you are in.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
People here can't drive worth a damn and yet they are on the phone talking while backing out of a parking space or texting on the left lane or at the green light.

I will admit I caught myself talking on the phone as I was backing out today. No ones perfect, but I caught myself doing it. I hate being on the phone while I drive..

I will better discipline myself, I wish everyone in Houston would do the same.

I come to a conclusion that, it's impossible to have a pleasant relaxing drive in this city.
Some idiot will always jump out in front of you. No matter what lane you are in.
How do you feel about hands free devices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston