Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 PM

139 posts, read 155,761 times

Advertisements

I was driving from Sugar Land to the Galleria area. Drivers were driving AGAINST traffic on 59 on the shoulder by the HOA lane and some would dart into incoming traffic to pass slower moving vehicles. One guy decided to stop and do a u-turn on the highway when there were cars passing at 75mph. There were many underpasses not flooded. I don't see any reason why they couldn't exit and loop back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Does anybody live in the Hobby Airport area?
I have a friend flying from Colorado to Hobby tomorrow and is gonna go to Galveston and is asking if there were any issues in that area
Thanks
That area is fine. Should have no issues.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueeensBeans View Post
We are planning to move to the area over the next 6 months. Just wondering if there was any flooding in Fall Creek or Summerwood.
This isn't a good gauge of whether your neighborhood will flood. That area didn't get as much as rain as those you are seeing on tv. Any area that gets that much rain in such a short time will have street flooding issues.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
My part of town (Energy Corridor) fared fine, although I'm sure residents in the backs of the neighborhoods along Buffalo Bayou were getting nervous. We had some minor street flooding, but not enough to damage street-parked cars, and of course Terry Hershey Park is a mess.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Still many signals out near downtown, and fallen trees. Things going slowly but there is progress.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:48 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Im at I-10 and Bunker Hill just south of I-10. That area flooded worse than I believe it ever has. Lots of flooded out cars all along the feeder, and several houses I know were flooded that I do not believe ever flooded in the past.

I got much closer than I would have preferred.
It was very bad. We have a house that never flooded since it was build in the 60's.
Last night the water came from the backyard into the kitchen, mud room and back bedroom. The French drains could not do their job, because there was nowhere to divert the water.
The water level was higher than the curb and just spreading everywhere.

We emailed:
FLOOR CARE EQUIPMENT Rentals Houston TX, Where to Rent FLOOR CARE EQUIPMENTS in Houston TX, Tomball Texas, Porter TX

to secure carpet extractor and blower, to pick-up in the morning, but the carpet has to go, as it was our intention to put wood floors everywhere anyway.
Our yard is graded, but it didn't helped a bit. It was just simply way too much water.
Hopefully the flood insurance will cover our loss.
Attached Thumbnails
5/25 Flooding - How did your area manage?-1.jpg  

Last edited by elnina; 05-26-2015 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 01:49 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
A few comments from some pro-athletes...

Arian Foster’s street looks like a river thanks to Houston floods

Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
Our block in Meyerland had water halfway up the front walkways (tense!), but nothing in homes that I can tell. We walked a number of blocks over to Brays, and could barely get through some sections with rain boots on (including a section that recently had new sewer and streets installed!). We are in the 100-year flood plain, so something like this shouldn't be a surprise, and is why our flood insurance in almost as much as our homeowner's insurance.

Rainfall is so unpredictable that trying to make a judgment on areas based on massive storms isn't helpful. It's been a long time, but I recall that TS Allison really did a number on home sales...I wonder what will happen this time as mortgage and insurance companies, as well as skittish buyers, put the brakes on.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM

226 posts, read 284,923 times
Teh 3rd Ward area seemed to be fine during the storm, since I didn't see any major street flooding. I was watching the news last night, and a lot of areas got it much worse than over here.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:00 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,460 times
I live on Pine Lake between Bunker Hill and Witte in the Spring Branch Woods area. I was actually out of town and just got home. There are plenty of branches in the yard and it looks like the water got halfway up our driveway but it didn't get into the house. I came home from the west via Cedardale and the houses there (btw Witte and Gessner) looked to have fared worse. There were multiple homes with large amounts of carpet in their yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston