Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM

672 posts, read 847,445 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're currently building a home in New Caney and everything to date has been great. On the builders website, where the details of our home is posted, it shows a layout of each floor of the house, with the dimensions. Now on the website, it shows that the covered rear patio of the home will have a dimension of 19x8, which we based our patio furniture purchases around. Yesterday, I stopped by to see the progress of the house, and the rear patio was done, but it was only 15x6....a huge difference. So I went speak to my new home consultant rep, and he told me that the website is wrong and has complained about that, and he then showed me the "correct" spec sheet that the crew was working off of, which showed the 15x6 dimensions of the patio.

Now I'm not sure if I should make a big deal out of this, since we plan on having an in ground pool installed a few months after we move, which will extend the patio. I have a contact that lives in the community, and he built a home and recently moved in, and while he has a slightly smaller model than ours, his patio's listed as having the same dimensions as mine, so I'm waiting to hear back from him to see what his patio dimensions are.

Regardless of the dimensions of my contacts patio, do I have a solid case to make them fix it to the dimensions that's posted (currently) on their website? Should I not care since we're most likely having a pool installed anyway?

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
They may fix it for customer service or offer some sort of concession to "do the right thing" , but I will bet you their floorplans have a stipulation on the bottom in fine print saying something to the effect that dimensions are approximate and subject to change ...etc.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
They may fix it for customer service or offer some sort of concession to "do the right thing" , but I will bet you their floorplans have a stipulation on the bottom in fine print saying something to the effect that dimensions are approximate and subject to change ...etc.
I understand that, but they're off by 62 square feet....that doesn't sound very approximate to me.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:54 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
Even though I may agree with you, I am sure the builder is covered in their contract and paperwork for this. So....in the name of good customer service maybe they will do something.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:52 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,589 times
did they builder have you sign off on any particular set of drawings?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:59 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Are you paying for it? Of course you should have them fix it. Companies that actually care about their reputation will do everything they can to fix their errors. When they try to hide or get out of correcting their mistakes they tend to continue to do it unless buyers actually call them out on it.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:31 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,589 times
website plans aren't always updated immediately. If they showed him the correct floor plan and had him sign off on it, there is no argument. If not, then he might have a better case.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
I would push the subject. They would likely offer some discount just to get you to stop complaining ...

Old 06-13-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
did they builder have you sign off on any particular set of drawings?
On my first meeting with the construction manager, I signed off on the upgrades/options that we had choosen, not on any drawings. My realtor is looking into it and should hopefully have an answer in the next few days.

And as for the website dimensions, it's been the same dimensions since when we first started this process back in January, and it's still like that till this day.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:49 AM

26 posts, read 47,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Regarding that stipulation, where do you draw the line -- and WHO makes that call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: